The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/15/08

Sadly, true. The band is so great, the set last night looks amazng, and I'll still go to at least one of these shows.... but the audience is just awful. And sadly, it really started going REALLY downhill right before YHF. Maybe I'm just an old guy (Jeff's age) who misses the old days, but these shows are getting almost unbearable due the fans.

Wilco Fan Lowlights - Top 3:

3) Buffalo Tom show 3 weeks ago.... idiots at front of stage yelling at band to start playing Wilco songs. Head shaking, eye rolling.

2) Abbey Pub solo show ... 2 dorks get in fight in middle of floor over "Who is the bigger Wilco fan". Ends up with two people throwing full beers at each other. Kicked off when they started screaming titles of UT songs at the stage. They were about 22 yrs old and could have no way been going to UT shows in the early 90s. Pathetic.

1) Vic Show 3 yrs ago... newbie frat boys making fun of Asian Girls, calling them "Rice Cakes". Truly scary/sad.

That's right ... condemn a whole category of people based on a few bad apples.

Stay classy!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got to the riv at 630pm last night but went and got some grub. headed to the line at 720pm and stayed in a continuous moving line for 5 minutes, got nearly strip searched, then walked up to balcony and got seats with no problem....mid center section 3 rows from 'blocked off family/friends etc.. section"

waiting in line may only get your front row in mosh pit area.....but who knows tonight with all the buzz surrounding show...

oh yeah as far as fans go, a drunk guy in front of me had the worst White Guy Wilco dance. i could tell he probably only owned YHF, GIB, SBS records as he danced to those songs. but when CandyFloss came on he looked clueless.

It reminded me off a show in July 2001 in Madison, i noticed the crowd was a lot younger and when Wilco played Heavy Metal Drummer, all the young kids screamed and danced and hopped around, but when a Summerteeth or Being There song was played, they sat down and looked bored.

not saying that it is all bad, just recognizing the evolution of the band's popularity

Anyone know why, in Chicago (I have never seen them do it anywhere else), they walk on to the theme song to "The Bob Newhart Show"? It's kind of funny, and a peppy tune, but I just don't get why...

They did it in Iowa City in October, so there goes that theory. In fact, I think they may have the entire leg.

oh and pat played banjo on what's the world got in store!

Actually it was a guitar with a banjo head...(there is an off color joke in this somewhere but I am too tired to even consider it....)

Just got back, after some food at Fiesta Mexicana. Great show tonight, and it was LOUD! My ears are still ringing... :w00t

Did I mention the Riv was LOUD? :yay

I think my hearing is perminantly gone in my left ear..oh well....my bad for not bringing ear plugs...

Really really great time. I didn't think the show would go on so long. Having already played some of the regulars, the remaining four nights should get ever more adventuresome. There are huge hunks of all albums left to play I suppose, but as many said, Nels' solos were magnificent, the horns were actually sort of hearable and great and the band was on fire, as expected.

As for the fans, everyone I was near was fun as hell, starting at 1 in the afternoon on the sidewalk. It appeared at one point that there was alot of chatter from the back during the quiter moments of the encore, but so it goes. I met a whole ton of folks I had not met before and saw some VCers I had not seen for several years as well. Frankly I don't think Wilco fans are worse than any others.

Hopefully someone will post up a copy of this thing soon. Incidently the Tuesday show is going to be on XRT so fans from all over the world can be there in spirit. Thanks XRT in advance I suppose.

Okay, I am tired....more later or more tomorrow.

LouieB

Sadly, true. The band is so great, the set last night looks amazng, and I'll still go to at least one of these shows.... but the audience is just awful. And sadly, it really started going REALLY downhill right before YHF. Maybe I'm just an old guy (Jeff's age) who misses the old days, but these shows are getting almost unbearable due the fans.

I love this wacky internet thing, but I miss when you didn't know what shows were coming until Lounge Ax (or you had to pore over the Reader) published their calendar around the first of every month. Then you had to go to the bar and buy tickets (xeroxed on coloured construction paper) for the shows you wanted to see.

So true. Anyone who ever attended Wilco shows prior to circa 2000 will attest to this. But I guess that's the double edge sword that comes with success. But oh how I miss the good old days, and Iam only 31 years old, so that sounds kind of sad.

After listening to recordings of the band from the bad old days, I think you all that pine for them are remembering through rose tinted ears. Or something.

Those shows were every bit as rowdy and noisy as they are now.

That fake cop was ridiculous. I knew there was something fishy once he told some guy to delete a picture off of his camera, and then proceeded to muscle his way in front of me so his stupid girlfriend could take an up close picture on her camera. What a joke. His badge actually said "Special Police." Special, as in "fake."

Oh, but on another note, the show was amazing. It was the fourth Wilco show I've seen, and easily the best, but that's possibly because I was so close to the front and it was such an intimate setting for them. The Millennium Park show was also incredible. I had such a great time. Waiting out in the cold for three hours was totally worth it.

i wanted apiece of that guy. i was so pissed.

what an amazing show!

Highlights for me were Can't Stand It, Cars Can't Escape, and the best version of Outtasite I've ever seen.

Still waiting for Dreamer in My Dreams... maybe tonight is the night!

By the way, I just wanted to say, there were many people who did not deserve to be there last night. After seeing numerous diehard Wilco fans upset here on the board after not getting tickets, it was actually kind of depressing to look out into the crowd last night. Lots of loud talking during the quiet songs, and i seen at least 1 guy so drunk he was laying across the bar, and didn't even realize Wilco was on stage.

4 tapers, dead center first tier. Jerry E and Brian Skalinder - two others, not sure on those.

i was standing right behind the stands, and the sound from there was killer. they're going to be awesome tapes.

Yes, my tape sounds quite good, we were in a good spot. Hopefully, we can be there again tonight. Thanks to Jerry for letting me clamp on! My only complaint was the loud screamer just behind and to the left--she's all over my tape, and I suspect everyone else's. Oh well. I was tempted to say something, but think that's kinds uncool.

The highlight for me was hearing Nels play some of the older stuff--his lap steel action on Airway was amazing!

Can't wait for tonight!

what an amazing show!

Highlights for me were Can't Stand It, Cars Can't Escape, and the best version of Outtasite I've ever seen.

Still waiting for Dreamer in My Dreams... maybe tonight is the night!

By the way, I just wanted to say, there were many people who did not deserve to be there last night. After seeing numerous diehard Wilco fans upset here on the board after not getting tickets, it was actually kind of depressing to look out into the crowd last night. Lots of loud talking during the quiet songs, and i seen at least 1 guy so drunk he was laying across the bar, and didn't even realize Wilco was on stage.

That goes on every night - right?

I don't get some of these complaints. It's a fucking rock show.

It goes on all the time - on about every fan board I have looked at. You know that. Personally, when I go to a show, I am there to watch the musicians play their instruments and dig the groove of the music. Except for that time on the lawn, when I could not even see the band - so I just talked to Ben Linus most of the night.

I don't get some of these complaints. It's a fucking rock show.

Don't get me wrong.. I wasn't complaining for my own sake. I just feel that this is such a unique experience, and it upsets me that real Wilco fans have to miss out on the shows and people who don't even realize there is a stage in front of them are there in their place.

I still had an amazing time and will over the next 4 shows.

Yes, there are always people at sold out shows that don't necessarily "deserve" to be there.

However, people complaining about the "new fans" are either delusional or have short memories. I rarely missed a Wilco or Tweedy show at Lounge Ax. Those shows were absolutely notorious for having people talking throughout the shows. There were good fans and bad fans then, and there are good and bad fans now. Just do your best to ignore them and enjoy the band.

So, basically, the band should only to play to about 200 people? Because the majority of fans that go to Wilco shows are not "diehard Wilco fans" that post on these boards.

Like others have said, it's a rock show. It happens. And it's been happening at Wilco show for a long, long time.