The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/15/08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The band? They were great. I was very, very happy to hear "Cars Can't Escape". I've heard it live twice in a month now, and that will never, ever happen again.

But - and I'm sure a part of it was just because of where I was standing - I felt that a fair portion of the audience was downright rude. I will never understand going to a concert just to drink and chat with your friends. I kept waiting for Jeff to tell people to shut up, but it didn't happen. Why talk right through a song? Obviously they are going to be performing some slower songs, so why complain about it?

But there's still four more chances for audience awesomeness.

Unbelievable show. What else can be said. Nels and Glenn were both really on, but when are they not?

Highlights- Ashes(Nels Solo), Can't Stand it (W/ Horns), Hate it Here, a fake cop trying to boss people around near the stage, and getting a setlist from a friendly photographer.

They've raised the bar to an impossible level tonight. If the next four nights are anything like tonight was, get excited.

That fake cop was ridiculous. I knew there was something fishy once he told some guy to delete a picture off of his camera, and then proceeded to muscle his way in front of me so his stupid girlfriend could take an up close picture on her camera. What a joke. His badge actually said "Special Police." Special, as in "fake."

Oh, but on another note, the show was amazing. It was the fourth Wilco show I've seen, and easily the best, but that's possibly because I was so close to the front and it was such an intimate setting for them. The Millennium Park show was also incredible. I had such a great time. Waiting out in the cold for three hours was totally worth it.

Anyone know why, in Chicago (I have never seen them do it anywhere else), they walk on to the theme song to "The Bob Newhart Show"? It's kind of funny, and a peppy tune, but I just don't get why...

Maybe because it takes place in Chicago?

2004_07_bob_newhart_statue.jpg

We have a statue of him here!!

But - and I'm sure a part of it was just because of where I was standing - I felt that a fair portion of the audience was downright rude

WILCO fans, for the most part, suck. Have for years now. Worst fans ever, unfortunately.

They aren't the only band whose fan-base has gone downhill as they've become more popular.

It's almost Newton's 13th law of band popularity--the more popular a band becomes, the worse their fans are.

Hold on to the memories of WILCO pre-popularity. WILCO fans were much cooler back then.

teaser...

_LH_2693.jpg

Love those audience shots, Charles! Can't wait to see more of your work this coming week. :wub Thank you.

What a night. I could feel the energy all the way down here.

Thank you so much for the call last night, sweet Edie! Sunken Treasure. Ahhh. :wub Sarah and I took turns listening and riling each other up. :cheekkiss

Anyone know why, in Chicago (I have never seen them do it anywhere else), they walk on to the theme song to "The Bob Newhart Show"? It's kind of funny, and a peppy tune, but I just don't get why...

The Bob Newhart show took place in Chicago

WILCO fans, for the most part, suck. Have for years now. Worst fans ever, unfortunately.

They aren't the only band whose fan-base has gone downhill as they've become more popular.

It's almost Newton's 13th law of band popularity--the more popular a band becomes, the worse their fans are.

Hold on to the memories of WILCO pre-popularity. WILCO fans were much cooler back then.

What an awesome display of dickheadedness. Your parents must be proud.

wow, like everyone has said, Great Energy, Top Quality. i dont want to be biased but I think a show like this could only be pulled off in Wilco's hometown. the whole family was in attendence, band really fed of great crowd energy, local horn players, Jeff played his early century Martin (aka Woody Guthrie guitar) on Either Way, probably doesnt travel well, nearly 3 hours of show!.......

I too would say highlight was Can't Stand It just because it was the best sounding, energy packed version ever. knowing that jeff didnt like the song at first (from Kot's book) it was really top notch with added horns. to me it was quite nostalgic to hear the oldie but goodies: Too Far Apart, Why Would You Wanna LIve In This World (jeff said after song "that's one you dont hear everyday.") Outtasite Outtamind was bombastic as the closer!!!

Freaking Nels was legend on his solos for Impossible Germany and Ashes of American Flags while his lap steel play on Airline to Heaven was soaring. He is never dull and ceases to floor me.

Sadly, true. The band is so great, the set last night looks amazng, and I'll still go to at least one of these shows.... but the audience is just awful. And sadly, it really started going REALLY downhill right before YHF. Maybe I'm just an old guy (Jeff's age) who misses the old days, but these shows are getting almost unbearable due the fans.

Wilco Fan Lowlights - Top 3:

3) Buffalo Tom show 3 weeks ago.... idiots at front of stage yelling at band to start playing Wilco songs. Head shaking, eye rolling.

2) Abbey Pub solo show ... 2 dorks get in fight in middle of floor over "Who is the bigger Wilco fan". Ends up with two people throwing full beers at each other. Kicked off when they started screaming titles of UT songs at the stage. They were about 22 yrs old and could have no way been going to UT shows in the early 90s. Pathetic.

1) Vic Show 3 yrs ago... newbie frat boys making fun of Asian Girls, calling them "Rice Cakes". Truly scary/sad.

I love this wacky internet thing, but I miss when you didn't know what shows were coming until Lounge Ax (or you had to pore over the Reader) published their calendar around the first of every month. Then you had to go to the bar and buy tickets (xeroxed on coloured construction paper) for the shows you wanted to see.

Waiting out in the cold for three hours was totally worth it.

Heading to the show tonight, even MORE excited after reading the experiences from last night - Primitive, 3 hours out in the cold, huh? My friend is just off crutches as of this week from a bum ankle; I think we probably need to head upstairs for the balcony to grab seats - any recommendations on what time to show up out there on line to make sure she can have a seat? Thanks. Fired UP....