The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/15/08

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the Who, there was totally somebody sitting down while they played "Won't Get Fooled Again". In my eyes, that is worse than if someone shotgunned 6 or 7 natty lights, bumrushed the stage, and drop kicked Pat.

Well, that's because most Who fans are in their 60s.

During the rocking songs. the whole floor was jumping up and down, especially as the night went on. It was a beautiful thing to watch from the balcony, Miss Y's ponytail flipping around like a tiny tornado. But during Patient With Me, there was a huge roar of loud conversation wafting out from the bar areas. Jeff wisely chose to ignore it. It's America. What're ya gonna do.

Such a great show. SO much energy and joy. The band was very tight! Bodes really well for the tour. Impossible Germany has sneaked up and become my favorite song to hear in concert these days. We'll see if the next few nights will change that. MChris, we missed you (that was me that called during Why Would You....

Great to see all you good VC peoples! Let's have some more fun today (before the nasty ice storm hits tonight, check your local station).

During the rocking songs. the whole floor was jumping up and down, especially as the night went on. It was a beautiful thing to watch from the balcony, Miss Y's ponytail flipping around like a tiny tornado. But during Patient With Me, there was a huge roar of loud conversation wafting out from the bar areas. Jeff wisely chose to ignore it. It's America. What're ya gonna do.

Such a great show. SO much energy and joy. The band was very tight! Bodes really well for the tour. Impossible Germany has sneaked up and become my favorite song to hear in concert these days. We'll see if the next few nights will change that. MChris, we missed you (that was me that called during Why Would You....

Great to see all you good VC peoples! Let's have some more fun today (before the nasty ice storm hits tonight, check your local station).

2 things...

A bronze of ms yvon's ponytail should be put in the R&R HOF. :wub

And...

Thank you so much for the call, Johnny. I hadn't looked at my cell until I read this. :wub I really miss being there, but everyone's joy is infectious!

Great to meet you and your friends last night (redhead on your right from NY). Big thanks to Leo for the position upgrade. :thumbup My ears are still ringing but I'd say it was well worth some future loss of hearing. It was a jaw-dropper to say the least...nearly cried several times (that Jeff :wub ). Might opt for balcony tonight to give my ears and feet a rest...got a long week ahead!

I know what people are saying about the crowd. There certainly are some immature, (drunk) morons at Wilco shows. But they are in every crowd, in fact they are a fact of life - what percentage of the gen-pop isn't? Take heart Wilco lovers, I met some amazing people last night from all over the country and I find true Wilco fans to be intelligent, generous and genuinely warm people. I usually go to shows alone (my friends have NO taste in music) and I always know I am going to meet someone nice to hang with.

Looking forward to more rarities in the coming nights. I can only assume they will save the deep, deep cuts for the die-hards on Tuesday & Wednesday. :worship

Actually it was a guitar with a banjo head...(there is an off color joke in this somewhere but I am too tired to even consider it....)

I think my hearing is perminantly gone in my left ear..oh well....my bad for not bringing ear plugs...

Really really great time. I didn't think the show would go on so long. Having already played some of the regulars, the remaining four nights should get ever more adventuresome. There are huge hunks of all albums left to play I suppose, but as many said, Nels' solos were magnificent, the horns were actually sort of hearable and great and the band was on fire, as expected.

As for the fans, everyone I was near was fun as hell, starting at 1 in the afternoon on the sidewalk. It appeared at one point that there was alot of chatter from the back during the quiter moments of the encore, but so it goes. I met a whole ton of folks I had not met before and saw some VCers I had not seen for several years as well. Frankly I don't think Wilco fans are worse than any others.

Hopefully someone will post up a copy of this thing soon. Incidently the Tuesday show is going to be on XRT so fans from all over the world can be there in spirit. Thanks XRT in advance I suppose.

Okay, I am tired....more later or more tomorrow.

LouieB

ELT opener

Candyfloss as the penultimate song

what more can you ask for?

Only thing I would have preferred was the acoustic arrangement of Sunken Treasure. That one just gives me chills every time i hear it

I was amazed how long hte show kept going. When the horns were out I figured, I'm the Man Who Loves You, show oever

but they kept upping the ante.

I heart wilco

True. She did have an oxygen tank...

ha ha

60 is not so old when you are 42

42 is a lifetime when you are 20

There once was a note, pure and easy

Playing so free, like a breath rippling by

The note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me

Great to meet you and your friends last night (redhead on your right from NY). Big thanks to Leo for the position

Looking forward to more rarities in the coming nights. I can only assume they will save the deep, deep cuts for the die-hards on Tuesday & Wednesday. :worship

Glad we can impress someone from NYC....hope you get your voice back; between not being able to hear and you not being able to talk it was kind of a tough night.....I plan to opt for the balcony one night this week also.

What?!?!?!?!
Exactly.... :lol

LouieB

I'm dying to read this thread, but I'm at my parents' house, which is chaos. I'm waiting until tonight, when I can retreat to the spare bedroom and savor this!

Can you point me to the postings about what to do while I'm here...having trouble finding them :unsure thanks.

Glad we can impress someone from NYC....hope you get your voice back; between not being able to hear and you not being able to talk it was kind of a tough night.....I plan to opt for the balcony one night this week also.

Exactly.... :lol

LouieB

Can you point me to the postings about what to do while I'm here...having trouble finding them :unsure thanks.

When I was there, I just hung out with LB - that was all I needed. I hope to get to do that again sometime.

oh and pat played banjo on what's the world got in store!

Banjos f-in' rock. No doubt.

i know they won't duplicate any songs, but the real question is will jeff wear the blue jean jacket each night?

I think you could put money on that one!

And I think that I saw 4 posters for tonight's show. But there may have been 5.

Five posters, a different one for each night, compliments of Mr. j4lackey. :worship They had all five of them hanging up last night, but would only sell me the one for last night's show. :angry Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go back tonight...

Outside of the heaviness on SBS material, a great fucking show. I have to agree that Can't Stand It was the highlight...but I was stoked to hear my favorite song a couple tunes into the set. Really, alot of highlights...made wish I was going each night, which is a good sign I suppose. I do think I have a new appreciation for Impossible Germany, but I have to admit that I was probably talking through the rest of the SBS tunes myself.

Nice to see a lot of folks I hadn't seen in a long time, finally meet a few i've never met before and sorry I missed a few I know were there, but it was too fucking cold to hang out too long afterwards. my buddy kevin, who has neither seen them or really listened to any of their albums was really impressed w/ how skilled the entire band was.

johnny, i picked up a poster...my first lackey. did you do the t-shirt i bought as well?

came home to a sick kid w/ a fever, so i'm going to take nap while they are.

But - and I'm sure a part of it was just because of where I was standing - I felt that a fair portion of the audience was downright rude.

Yeah, what kind of jerk would want to go to a Wilco show? Wilco fans suck. Each and every one of them. Only jackasses go to see that band.

Oh, and AMAZING show by the way. I had so much fun!!!!!!!