Jeff Tweedy Hotel SnS April 12, 2008

I'm in no way recovered from not sleeping last night, so I'll just add that Unwelcome Guest was indeed so sublime that it was more than worth the three-year wait. And Thirteen was pretty a very close second.

I wish we could do it all again right now. I think have just about enough adrenaline still cooking...

(so sorry about your camera, Brianne!)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry, sorry!   so glad you finally got your song, alison! it was indeed another wonderful and unique evening, and thanks to jeff and susan (and everyone who contributed to the kickass potluck and,

Posted Images

Beautiful setlist, beautiful poster, wonderful attendee roster, and although I had a wonderful time at my event last night, I totally would have blown it off and crashed Hotel S&S if I had known cool potholders were involved!!!!!!!!!!

I know it comes around every year right about this time, but the PCD is settling in hard and fast as I bid farewell to the final guests of the weekend this afternoon. These weekends, and especially the show itself, always go so fast (despite the minimal hours of sleep we manage to carve out) so you would think I'd get use to it...

Unwelcome Guest truly was ethereal, and Simple Twist of Fate was perfectly executed. I hope Jeff didn't feel too obliged with the "off the book" requests, but start to finish, I'd say the song ideas and Jeff's performing couldn't have been better. The timing was clock work when Laura requested More Like the Moon (so exquisite in the quiet, exact delivery) and it opened up the tie I had going in my head for an Uncle Tupelo song.

The opening words to the night can't leave my head, and it pretty much sums up my 2008 Basement Show experience:

"Woke up this mornin' feelin' fine

There's somethin' special on my mind..."

another view of the festivities. such a wonderful night...thanks to ALL that made it happen...! :cheekkiss

Ahhh, I love it! What a great shot.

another view of the festivities. such a wonderful night...thanks to ALL that made it happen...! :cheekkiss

Sooz those are some socks :yay

Looks like a fab time was had by all and :wub the babies.

Thought I'd take this opportuniy to post the setlist I cobbled together for the "headliners" at last night's show. I always look forward to the post-show campfire that's become sort of a tradition, and it was once again a splendid time! Since there was only one guitar, our very own Martin Rivas (Twisted Acres) and Dave Mirabella (MeDave) traded off doing mini-sets of both covers and originals that went on late into the night... :rock

Mart

-Be Thankful For What You Got [William DeVaughn]

-Spirits in the Material World [The Police]

-Heckuva Day

-My Best Friend

I hope Jeff didn't feel too obliged with the "off the book" requests, but start to finish, I'd say the song ideas and Jeff's performing couldn't have been better.

Same here--I think the idea was to keep the night pretty low key and to see where the requests would lead. Hey, it's not like the requesters remembered a lot of those lyrics either. :blush In no way did we lack for great music.

[quote name='bb

2409234901_fd01ddf087_o.jpg

beautiful poster,

For anyone who didn't notice, I just wanted to point out the autograph on that particular poster. I think it's probably the second best rock star poster autograph I've ever seen.

Plus that, I wholeheartedly agree with him. :shifty

Speaking of sublime, "More Like the Moon." I love that song so much, and the quiet version last night was just perfect. (I know it wasn't my request, but I figured I'd take the odds that someone else would request it. Thank goodness I was right.)

:wub But hey, he did ask me if it was ok if he played the quiet version. I could've opted for the loud and raucous rendition.

The night was a perfect mix of so many great things-- friends from far and wide, delicious food and drink, babies!, and some truly exquisite music. I had a wonderful time.

Been staring at the keyboard for the last minute or so, hoping that it would just start typing on its own and stating what a great honor it is to be part of the sublime, raucous, grand and mighty fun that this weekend always is.

Thanks, first and foremost, to Jeff and Susan for your staggering generosity; doing all of this and raising the incredible amount of money you raise for such a deserving charity. Thanks also, Jeff, for putting up with what seems like such a chaotic situation (pets sleeping and running around at your feet!) while being affable, self-effacing, friendly, hysterically funny, and so sharing of your immense gift.

Thanks, Jeff, for letting me try out the Breedloves at the end of the night, hearing how killer it sounds with you picking on it without benefit of any PA or amplification drove home the point of what a great guitar they built for you. Oh, and thanks for letting me sing along on "The Unwelcome Guest", playing along on "Build Me Up Buttercup", and for letting me play "Sir Duke". My wife wants me to let you know once more that she was only goofing around with that request... she hopes you don't really think she's mean. :lol

Thanks to Sam & Sooz for allowing this good-time hoedown to take place at the fabulous Hotel S'n'S... thanks to evonne for putting together those KICKASS potholders... thanks Jay for the amazing posters... thanks to the many culinary talents in our midst (Dick's meat in Jeff's Pork Cheeks! Yipes!!!)...

Memories are just piling all over themselves to come to the forefront; it's gonna be weeks before they're all sorted out. All I can say right now is Thank God for VC for bringing together what has become a very tight group of friends. Chicago has become our third home thanks to you, and I hope this get-together continues for a long, long time, living room show or not.

PS - that track of mine is called "Heckuva Day", Paul :) xoxo

PS - that track of mine is called "Heckuva Day", Paul :) xoxo

Gotcha, Mart. Great tune, and certainly quite fitting! :thumbup (Now that was a tough setlist to keep! You did a couple fragments at the very end too-not sure if you even remember. It was something I forgot to jot down, and then a verse of a Radiohead song or something like that.)

Anyway, loved getting to hear a couple of songs off the next record as well as a couple off Dave's new one. Oh, and Jeff was pretty good as well. :lol