Opening for Neil?

Guest sjames
the ACC is preti big how long do you guys expect tickets to be available cuzz I might need a loan if I dont get paid in the next cuple of days, missing out on this would be terrible

you understand me

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all, let's see whether we can manage to stay on topic here without the need to savage one another's musical taste. Think before you post. I've gotten rid of the offensive content....can we go on peaceably from here?

Guest sjames
Hey all, let's see whether we can manage to stay on topic here without the need to savage one another's musical taste. Think before you post. I've gotten rid of the offensive content....can we go on peaceably from here?

Sorry man. I'll be good. You Neil bashers just need to understand that Neil influenced Jeff. Think about what that means.

I'll brave MSG again to see Wilco and Neil, even though it's such a crappy music venue. My only hope is Wilco gets to play a good long time. Personally, I'd much rather see Neil open for Wilco.

As a die hard Wilco fan I will say this should not or will not ever happen. Wilco would probably agree. Neil is a legend and still puts on an awesome show. I'm sure they consider it an honor to open for him.

Are Floor/GA tix assigned (folding chair-type) assigned seating or is it quite literally open-space 'Floor'?

I thought that was all banned from large arenas in the US after the The Who incident many years ago.

Thanks. This info will determine what I'll shoot for, ticket-wise!

Yeaaaahhh i just got 4 tickets on the floor for the ottawa show. its happening.
Sorry man. I'll be good. You Neil bashers just need to understand that Neil influenced Jeff. Think about what that means.

so did oingo boingo, PIL and a drove of other musicians. i like neil just fine, but wilco's music has always been too multi-faceted to predominantly pin it's sound one just one dude.

that said, i'm sure this will be a treat for the band as much as it will be for fans of both artists.

Are Floor/GA tix assigned (folding chair-type) assigned seating or is it quite literally open-space 'Floor'?

I thought that was all banned from large arenas in the US after the The Who incident many years ago.

Thanks. This info will determine what I'll shoot for, ticket-wise!

Nope....I think for a while many cities did not do it...but now they all do.

Springsteen tour has been GA standing for the last year

U2 did it....

Many other groups do it today.

what are the odds that Wilco is NOT opening in Chicago? I'll still likely go regardless, but it's a lot easier to make a trek out to Rosemont on a Tuesday night if i'm getting Wilco AND Neil.

I would say as of today, the odds are 100% that Wilco is not opening in Chicago. That could change, though, if they get added to the bill.

I would say as of today, the odds are 100% that Wilco is not opening in Chicago. That could change, though, if they get added to the bill.

That reads as if it's Neil's choice to add them not Wilco's choice to play, you know?

That reads as if it's Neil's choice to add them not Wilco's choice to play, you know?

Or, it reads as if they are currently not listed as openers, so there's currently no chance (0%) they will play with Neil in Chicago. If they get added, regardless of whose choice it is, I would increase the chances they will open to, say 100%.

Management could be looking at this this opening slot as nothing more than business. Wilco doesn't need to open for Neil in their hometown as much as they need to do those shows in other towns. Management could also be taking a "my client takes second billing to no one when they play hometown shows" attitude/strategy.

I doubt any of that is the case (except for maybe the last part). I'm just throwing that out there as a possible reason they aren't opening in Chicago. I'm sure (actually, I know for a fact) SOME bands have management that make decisions based on that logic. Wilco's management seems to have at least a little bit of a clue, so I'm guessing the reason they aren't doing the Chicago show is either based on logistics or on a decision that is going to be made in Neil's camp.

Management could be looking at this this opening slot as nothing more than business. Wilco doesn't need to open for Neil in their hometown as much as they need to do those shows in other towns. Management could also be taking a "my client takes second billing to no one when they play hometown shows" attitude/strategy.
Wilco used to open for groups in Chicago all the time. Of course that was several years ago, but let's face it, opening for Neil Young is a good gig no matter where it is.

LouieB

This isn't just 'any band'.

Even U2 and PJ opened for the Stones.

Wilco, is not at that level in hugeness, you know? Great band though they are.

Tweedy needs to bend on this one.

Wilco used to open for groups in Chicago all the time. Of course that was several years ago, but let's face it, opening for Neil Young is a good gig no matter where it is.

LouieB

LouieB

Yeah, I agree. You'd have a hard time finding any musician or music fan who would disagree. But a businessman who only sees dollar signs might look at it like a step down. It's possible Wilco would make more money doing their own show. I'm sure Tony Margerita (he's still Wilco's guy, right?) is a good enough businessman to see that opening for Neil in Chicago (or anywhere) would be a good gig...even if it payed peanuts and even if they gained no new fans. If nothing else, his clients would get to share a stage with one of their heroes. Keeping your client happy is good business.

That's why I think the decision to not open the Chicago show is being made by someone outside of the Wilco organization, or maybe there is another committment they refuse to break. Maybe Tweedy has committed to roadie-ing his son's gig on that date. :yes

This isn't just 'any band'.

Even U2 and PJ opened for the Stones.

Wilco, is not at that level in hugeness, you know? Great band though they are.

Well, Neil Young isn't on the Stones level either, ya know?

The boys will get paid handsomely and will buy new gear and threads. Really, I don't know how much bigger the group can get in North America, wouldn't this have made more sense, say, in Europe? (where I would argue there's a larger proportion of "enlightened" music lovers who may not be aware of the band)

It's all good though, unless Wilco becomes an arena rock band. That would suck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tweedy not the defacto leader of the band?

If so, it would be safe to say, that if there is something he wants to do, it will happen?

heyho has established this

Just an opinion, but Neil's work in the last 25 years exceeds in depth and breadth the Stones in the same time frame.

However, if we speak to Stones circa 1969-74, it would be a tough call.

However Jules, I recognize you take pride on being contrary.

Just an opinion, but Neil's work in the last 25 years exceeds in depth and breadth the Stones in the same time frame.

However, if we speak to Stones circa 1969-74, it would be a tough call.

However Jules, I recognize you take pride on being contrary.

I'm not trying to be contrary. Opening for the Stones is a much bigger deal than opening for Neil Young.