Opening for Neil?

Neil Young Drafts Wilco, Death Cab For Tour

Neil Young

August 19, 2008 , 10:40 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Neil Young has snared two of alternative rock's biggest bands to open for his fall North American tour. Death Cab For Cutie will open the first portion, beginning Oct. 14 in Minneapolis, while Wilco jumps aboard Nov. 29 in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Los Angeles trio Everest will support on all dates.

Young wraps a European tour Saturday (Aug. 23) in Coburg, Germany, and will appear as usual with Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Dave Matthews and others Sept. 20 outside Boston for the annual Farm Aid benefit. Yet to be announced are the dates for his annual Bridge School Benefit, traditionally held in late October.

As reported yesterday, Wilco is expected to spend the time before the Young dates to continue work on its seventh album, due next spring.

Death Cab For Cutie finishes an Australian run Friday in Brisbane and starts a short North American headlining run Oct. 3 in Boston.

Here are Neil Young's fall tour dates:

Oct. 14: St. Paul, Minn. (Xcel Energy Center, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 16: Winnipeg, Manitoba (MTS Centre, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 18: Regina, Saskatchewan (Brandt Centre, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 19: Calgary, Alberta (Pengrowth Saddledome, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 21: Everett, Wash. (Comcast Arena, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 22: Vancouver (GM Place, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 29: San Diego (Cox Arena, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Oct. 30: Los Angeles (Forum, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Nov. 1: Reno, Nev. (Events Center, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Nov. 4: Kansas City, Mo. (Sprint Center, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Nov. 5: Omaha, Neb. (Qwest Center, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Nov. 29: Halifax, Nova Scotia (Metro Centre, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 1: Montreal (Bell Centre, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 2: Ottawa, Ontario (Scotia Bank Place, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 4: Toronto (Air Canada Centre, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 7: Auburn Hills, Mich. (Palace of Auburn Hills, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 9: Chicago (Allstate Center, no opener specified)

Dec. 12: Philadelphia (Wachovia Spectrum, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 15: New York (Madison Square Garden, w/ Wilco)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour now up on Neil's site:

http://www.neilyoung.com/tour.html

this is my dream show. neil young was a part of my childhood as my parents played all his albums when was a kid. neil young is iconic, i can't believe some of the people mentioning that they don't like neil, or understand his relationship to wilco. how can you listen to the band and not hear the parallel? even with UT you could hear it. i think i could die a happy man if i saw nels and jeff jam out to down by the river. nyc, and philly here i come. how about a dc date added :)

Awesome the DCU show is on Neil site!

Sweet. If I still lived in Albany, I'd be at that show.

Boston/ (Worcester).

No, respect for that city.

Since my promotion at work, I'm now the low man on the totem pole again and it looks like holidays will be hard to take off this year. Guess I'll use some of the freed up time off to catch one of these.

Email from Neil Young's site about pre-sale dates.....

NEIL YOUNG TICKETING PRE-SALE ANNOUNCEMENT

Purchse your tickets to see Neil Young in concert this fall through these on-line pre-sales and you will automatically be entered to win a piece of merchandise autographed by Neil Young! Details will be posted on the ticketing page.

Neil Young is pleased to announce pre-sale ticketing for his Fall 2008 Tour. You can buy tickets to select Neil Young shows before they go on sale to the public through http://www.neilyoung.com/ and these webpages:

US = http://neilyoung.tickets.musictoday.com/

CANADA = http://neilyoungcad.tickets.musictoday.com/

Neil Young Direct Ticketing allows you to buy tickets online for upcoming shows directly from the artist, as an effort to reduce the high surcharges from other online ticket vendors, and to offer a more convenient ticketing option.

Please check the website http://www.neilyoung.com/ for updated information on fan pre-sales and general public onsales.

DATE CITY VENUE

PRE-SALES ON WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 20TH, 2008 AT 10AM **LOCAL VENUE TIME

10/14/08 St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center

10/16/08 Winnipeg, MN MTS Center

10/18/08 Regina, SK Brandt Center

10/19/08 Calgary, AB Pengrowth Saddledome

10/22/08 Vancouver, BC GM Place

10/29/08 San Diego, CA Cox

10/30/08 Los Angeles, CA Forum

11/01/08 Reno, NV Reno Events Center

11/29/08 Halifax, NS Metro Center

12/02/08 Ottawa, ON Scotia Bank Place

12/04/08 Toronto, ON Air Canda Centre

CHECK WWW.NEILYOUNG.COM FOR PRE-SALE UPDATES FOR THE FOLLOWING DATES

10/21/08 Everett, WA Comcast Arena at Everett

11/04/08 Kansas City, MO Sprint Center

11/05/08 Omaha, NE Qwest Center

12/01/08 Montreal, QC Bell Centre

12/07/08 Detroit, MI Palace at Auburn Hills

12/09/08 Chicago, IL Allstate Arena

12/12/08 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum

12/15/08 New York, NY MSG

Now that I see this actually happening, I have less desire to go. No money to buy tix right now, and really not sure I want to see Wilco in a 21,000 seat arena. Or opening for anyone.

It would be cool to see them do some songs together though.

Boston or Worcester?!?

agreed, Boston :thumbup worcester :ohwell That venue sucks though, too bad they are not playing the TD Banknorth Garden. I am beyond pumped for the MSG show, my school in NY has winter break on the 19th so it looks like Ill get to witness Wilco/Neil at the best venue ever!

AUGH, why are tickets going on sale when I'm tightening my belt to afford first and last month's rent? Whyyyy?! :ohwell I can't believe I'm fucking saying this, but I have to skip this one. (To any aspiring artists who may be reading this: drop out of school and become a lawyer. Seriously. Your job will be terrible and you will be overpaid to a ludicrous extent, but you will be comfortable at all times.)

Just saw this on the CBC, and not quite surprised you guys knew all about this. And while this initially got me very excited, all I can think now is holy shit are those tickets ever expensive!

For Toronto:

Ticket Price:

$250.00 CAD for Price Level 1

$99.00 CAD for Price Level 2

$76.75 CAD for Price Level 3- GA Floor

Ticket price includes a $1.75 CAD facility fee

Guess $76 for standing on the floor behind 10000 people isn't too bad, except I'm kinda short. Those $250 tickets better be really good.

Boston or Worcester?!?

Worcester. The shows in Worcester but it's in parentheses? I don't think I've seen that before. Not that Worcester is that great of a city anyway.

Worcester. The shows in Worcester but it's in parentheses? I don't think I've seen that before. Not that Worcester is that great of a city anyway.

I actually prefer the DCU center to the Banknorth. The Banknorth sucks as a venue.

What I don't get is that on half the articles i've read they don't mention this show. Its on Neils site tour page but not listed in the presale info. DCU center has nothing about it. WTF? I want tix to this.

Not that Worcester is that great of a city anyway.

You said you have "no respect" for it. Did Worcester DO something TO you?!? (Sorry to hi-jack for a moment. Just curious...)

You said you have "no respect" for it. Did Worcester DO something TO you?!? (Sorry to hi-jack for a moment. Just curious...)

The only problem I have with it is its pronunciation and spelling. Who founded the city, fancypants Shakespeare?

The only problem I have with it is its pronunciation and spelling. Who founded the city, fancypants Shakespeare?

No, it wasn't fancypants Shakespeare but it was Jonas Rice (well during the 3rd settlement). He named it after Worcester, UK. Quite a few of our cities/towns here in Massachusetts are named after cities in England, actually.

EDIT: The Nipmuc tribe was here first and named many of our areas that we still use today.

we Canadians thank our lucky stars to have dodged the Death Cab for Cutie bullet.

*whew* but that was too close.

Nov. 5: Omaha, Neb. (Qwest Center, w/ Death Cab For Cutie)

Nov. 29: Halifax, Nova Scotia (Metro Centre, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 1: Montreal (Bell Centre, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 2: Ottawa, Ontario (Scotia Bank Place, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 4: Toronto (Air Canada Centre, w/ Wilco)

Dec. 7: Auburn Hills, Mich. (Palace of Auburn Hills, w/ Wilco)

No, it wasn't fancypants Shakespeare but it was Jonas Rice (well during the 3rd settlement). He named it after Worcester, UK. Quite a few of our cities/towns here in Massachusetts are named after cities in England, actually.

EDIT: The Nipmuc tribe was here first and named many of our areas that we still use today.

Welcome to Wuhstah. The state chahges a dollah twenty five.

Just saw this on the CBC, and not quite surprised you guys knew all about this. And while this initially got me very excited, all I can think now is holy shit are those tickets ever expensive!

For Toronto:

Ticket Price:

$250.00 CAD for Price Level 1

$99.00 CAD for Price Level 2

$76.75 CAD for Price Level 3- GA Floor

Ticket price includes a $1.75 CAD facility fee

Guess $76 for standing on the floor behind 10000 people isn't too bad, except I'm kinda short. Those $250 tickets better be really good.

dear lord. anyone have links to any other ticket prices?

This from Thrashers Wheat site......

"Probably one of the most interesting aspects of the announcement is that all shows for this tour will be general admission floor with reserved seating in the stands. This is great news for those of us who had to be restrained from standing and moving during "No Hidden Path".

General admission tickets will be prices at $75.00 with reserved stand tickets ranging in price from $45.00 to $250.00."

Link......

http://www.thrasherswheat.org/wheatfield.html