Opening for Neil?

I'm not trying to be contrary. Opening for the Stones is a much bigger deal than opening for Neil Young.

And stadium rock is the only thing worse than arena rock. :shifty

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total agreeance!

Unfortunately, that happens with increased popularity.

I emailed the man that wrote the Wilco book (easily found googling) with and received a response to my question: 'Why not Chicago?'

I suggest y'all do similar and see what you get.

And stadium rock is the only thing worse than arena rock. :shifty
I emailed the man that wrote the Wilco book (easily found googling) with and received a response to my question: 'Why not Chicago?'

You emailed Greg Kot about concerts? He's a journalist.

By "etc. etc." I assume you don't mean Jewel, Blind Melon and Third Eye Blind.

ok.

Total agreeance!

Unfortunately, that happens with increased popularity.

what did he say?

You sir, clearly don't read the Chicago Tribune or listen to Sound Opinions.

He's a longtime music critic and well connected with the ins and outs of what is going on in the city. I figured he might have a perspective. I chose to ask.

You emailed Greg Kot about concerts? He's a journalist.

In essence, what some have been posting:

The band will not to open for anybody in the hometown, including 'the almighty Neil' (his words).

Of course, it's all speculation until Wilco speaks to it.

ok.

what did he say?

By "etc. etc." I assume you don't mean Jewel, Blind Melon and Third Eye Blind.

They might not be your taste, but they are far from "terrible".

I believe our boys opened for the Stones a few years back. I am sure that some of the Stones fans (the few that bothered to show up) thought they were from Mars.

Right, so why ask the forum to flood the poor guy's inbox??

They might not be your taste, but they are far from "terrible".

Ok, two of those acts are terrible. Blind Melon probably had some good qualities. All three are terribly inappropriate opening acts for Neil Young and the Rolling Stones, though.

In essence, what some have been posting:

The band will not to open for anybody in the hometown, including 'the almighty Neil' (his words).

I think I said that about 3 pages ago. I don't have any problem with Wilco not wanting to open for Neil Young in Chicago.

Ok, two of those acts are terrible. Blind Melon probably had some good qualities. All three are terribly inappropriate opening acts for Neil Young and the Rolling Stones, though.

I saw Blind Mellon and Soundgarden open for Neil Young w/ Booker T & The MGs in '93. It was far from "inappropriate."

I haven't read everything in this thread, but I am very disappointed that Wilco is opening for Neil at the Palace in Auburn Hills. This will probably be the only Michigan appearance for the band before the new record, and I can't think of anything less appealing than seeing my favorite band in an arena setting. Now if this show was scheduled in a smaller, more intimate theatre, I'd be on this like stink on sh#t. As it is, I guess I am going to have to wait for the new release this spring (or whenever it comes out) and hope that Wilco schedules a show at a smaller venue in Michigan.

I saw Blind Mellon and Soundgarden open for Neil Young w/ Booker T & The MGs in '93. It was far from "inappropriate."

I saw that tour, but my date had Jewel instead of Soundgarden. I would have liked to see Soundgarden open for Neil. Maybe I'm being too hard on Blind Melon. They were ubiquitous at the time, so maybe I didn't give them a fair shake due to overexposure.

My comments regarding Jewel and Third Eye Blind stand, though.

well that is pretty absurd that they'd think Chicago needs a break from them! So who's the opening act going to be then? Judging by the fact that Death Cab and Wilco are on the rest of the leg you'd think it'd be someone relatively good. I am not happy about this at all!

well that is pretty absurd that they'd think Chicago needs a break from them! So who's the opening act going to be then? Judging by the fact that Death Cab and Wilco are on the rest of the leg you'd think it'd be someone relatively good. I am not happy about this at all!

Jewel

:hug