That's actually Jeff. According to the linear notes Nels isn't on that one.

--Mike

According to the credits, Nels did not play on "Patient". In fact, I distinctly remember him mentioning that when he introduced the song (the only Wilco song) on his podcast.

Oh yeah! I need to reread the liners more often. I'm often surprised to see who played what on "A Ghost Is Born".

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup

Once again, you're right on the money Analog.

To be honest, it's hard for me to dislike anything Wilco puts out because Jeff Tweedy just writes incredible music. Yeah some songs/albums are better than others, but even Wilcos worst songs are better than most bands best songs.

if by "suck," you mean "one of the best albums of the year," then we're in complete agreement.

wow. how many albums have you heard this year. i loved Z, but Evil Urges was on of the albums that's already been deleted from my harddrive. Highly Suspicious might be the worst song i've heard this year. i think pitchfork is right on about this one. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...1074-evil-urges

unless you're just a fanboy, how can you say a bands worst album is the best of the year?

Aren't opinions subjective? My grandmother loved Lawrence Welk, but I didn't lambaste her for having her own likes and dislikes.

no, not when people make comments like "BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR". that's just wrong. when we start whining about opinions being subjective, discussion is over and there is no point in even having message boards.

there's a reason why the reviews for Evil Urges haven't exactly been glowing.

Guest Hollinger.
wow. how many albums have you heard this year. i loved Z, but Evil Urges was on of the albums that's already been deleted from my harddrive. Highly Suspicious might be the worst song i've heard this year. i think pitchfork is right on about this one. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...1074-evil-urges

unless you're just a fanboy, how can you say a bands worst album is the best of the year?

I think it's their best album. How does that make you feel? Are you crying yet?

how about no more of this well thats your opinion or music is subjective stuff, well obviously. Unless some of us are controlled by some demon evreything anyone says is their opinion so from now on I will refuse to use IMO again. Sometimes people have opinions on other peoples opinions its called a discussion or wait an argument.

there's a reason why the reviews for Evil Urges haven't exactly been glowing.

All of the reviewers are in agreement? I guess Rolling Stone, Spin, Paste, EW, Billboard, etc. failed to get the memo about how all music critics are supposed to find Evil Urges to be a disappointment. (There might not be consensus--is there ever consensus?--but as far as I can tell, most critics think the album is pretty darn good.)

I think it's their best album. How does that make you feel? Are you crying yet?

why would i cry? you look to be ok from your last.fm profile. just misguided when it comes to MMJ.

All of the reviewers are in agreement? I guess Rolling Stone, Spin, Paste, EW, Billboard, etc. failed to get the memo about how all music critics are supposed to find Evil Urges to be a disappointment. (There might not be consensus--is there ever consensus?--but as far as I can tell, most critics think the album is pretty darn good.)

look at the difference between reviews that Z got and Evil Urges did.

Z: http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/mymorningjacket/z

Evil Urges: http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/my...acket/evilurges

hell, even It Still Moves got better reviews on average.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/my...et/itstillmoves

I already know that Z and ISM were better-reviewed. That is irrelevant to my point, which is that EU has not, overall, been received negatively by the press. In fact, your Metacritic link confirms that Evil Urges has received largely positive (many glowing) notices--a fact that does not change just because Z got even better ones. (I posted that same link last week to make a similar point in another thread.)

You can't point to the general critical reception as "proof" that the album sucks when, in truth, the general critical reception has been favorable to the album. (I'm not suggesting that the friendly press "proves" the album is successful, by the way. General critical opinion is just another set of opinions, open to discussion and debate. As for me, I'm not entirely sold on EU; it's certainly not my favorite MMJ.)

let's settle this once and for all: all other My Morning Jacket albums >>>>> Evil Urges. as a huge MMJ fan, i was terribly excited about this release and i gave it as many chances as i could to make sure i wasn't making a snap judgement. sadly, i feel defeated, disappointed, cold and...well, let's be honest, a little bit raped. is that going to stop me from seeing them in concert (for the second time) next week? absolutely not. is it going to cause me to pull out any of their other albums instead of Evil Urges almost every other time? absolutely.

i thought this thread was about Wilco anyway...

-justin