• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of his stuff on Sky Blue Sky is wonderful, like his parts on You Are My Face and On and On and On, but at other times it feels like Tweedy relied a little too much on having Nels "rip," which doesn't always serve the song. Now it's nowhere near as distracting as some of Jay Bennett's over the top solos from the band's late nineties shows, sometimes those hit and sometimes they missed, but it's still a bit of a let down after Tweedy's own work on A Ghost is Born.

I basically agree. I still hold up Nels' solo on "Ashes..." from their first Austn City Limits performance as an example of how amazing this lineup can be, and perhaps as an example of how this lineup can do things no other lineup could have pulled off.

Did you fear what the Beatles would come up with next after Revolver?......Did you fear what Wilco would do after YHF?......Who cares.......It's their music and if you don't like it don't buy it.......You can always play the Wilco albums you like over and over again if you don't like what they come up with next......I would FEAR what Justin Timberlake comes up with next :dead

That's odd, the songs you dismiss as "pedestrian" are the songs I like best out of this particular lineup.

They're also the ones I like to cross the street to.

:no

Blaming Nels is off target.

Here, here! Kick Pat out.

:brow (Kidding!!)

Nels is great and very talented but I miss Jay Bennett, Leroy Bach, Ken Croomer, Bob Egan. :monkey

Not to be intended as a diss of Kenny C., but we all do realize that Glenn is a thousand times the drummer that Ken was/is. For my money he's the best there is out there.

I would rather Nels wasn't in the band because I like Jeff's guitar playing a lot more, and I don't care for the stuff he adds to the old songs live. My favorite live line-up was the stripped down four piece just after Jay left the band.

Who cares... when does the next Loose Fur album come out?

QFT.

SBS is a good album, but I wouldn't want another one in its style. But I'm not too worried that will happen.

I would rather Nels wasn't in the band because I like Jeff's guitar playing a lot more, and I don't care for the stuff he adds to the old songs live. My favorite live line-up was the stripped down four piece just after Jay left the band.

I like Jeff's guitar playing too, but I like NC's a lot more. I think Jeff blows Nels away when it comes to his acoustic finger picking style, but Nels is a much better lead player. And I think Nels does amazing things with the old songs.. It's my opinion of course, but I think you'll be in the minority on that one.

I like Nels. I think there are times live where he accesses the plane where angels live.

This was mentioned a few times when the album came out (re: Kotche). I just don't see it. At all.

After hearing some of his AGIB stuff like the hammered dulcimers, the big smashup part of ALTWYS, then the drone, and then hearing Mobile, it seems that he was toned down a bit on SBS to me.

I like Jeff's guitar playing too, but I like NC's a lot more. I think Jeff blows Nels away when it comes to his acoustic finger picking style, but Nels is a much better lead player. And I think does Nels does amazing things with the old songs.. It's my opinion of course, but I think you'll be in the minority on that one.

Once again I am in 100% agreement with Lamrod. The universal implosion begins in 5....4....3....2.....

The only thing that I will say concerning the new album and One Wing, is that I am extremely excited for a lot more studio experimentation etc. But I AM afraid (from my impressions of One Wing) that the band will fall into the "Nels freakout" trap. He has such a distinct style and sound that I hope it doesn't become custom to give him his little shining moment in each song, I'd really love to hear him do something "beautiful", for lack of a better word.

Nels has some beautiful moments on SBS... e.g. Either Way, Impossible Germany. Live he plays some gorgeous stuff on the slide, I wouldn't worry too much. Nels has a great deal of respect for his fellow musicians and he is often very understated.

Well said, bjorn.

Thank you. When you get a chance, tell the Hyde Park mastodon I said hi!

I like Nels. I think there are times live where he accesses the plane where angels live.

Yes. I've seen a lot of guitar players in my day, and I don't use the word "magic" very often, but the word definitely applies to Nels Cline. No one in their right mind would not jump at the chance to make music with him.