• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when are they getting in the studio..i haven't heard anything about a new album but i've been waiting for quite some time

I believe they were in there this past summer for a bit. Will be in there this fall. Maybe this past spring as well (can't remember). They're talking about a Spring 2009 release date. You may find more information by using the search function.

Surprised so many people want to go back to what's already been done. Ot to the "formula" that made those albums. (which, in reality, doesn't exist...they all happened by unique and unrepeatable circumstances)

You may not like SBS, but the band doesn't need to look backwards to find its' future direction.

Surprised so many people want to go back to what's already been done. Ot to the "formula" that made those albums. (which, in reality, doesn't exist...they all happened by unique and unrepeatable circumstances)

You may not like SBS, but the band doesn't need to look backwards to find its' future direction.

I'm surprised you're surprised other people want to hear something like what they already know they like.

I'm surprised you're surprised other people want to hear something like what they already know they like.

I wouldn't be surprised with typical music fans. Wilco fans should be a little more adventurous. This is a rock band made up of guys approaching middle age....stagnating into a 'comfort zone' would be the death knell for them.

I wouldn't be surprised with typical music fans. Wilco fans should be a little more adventurous. This is a rock band made up of guys approaching middle age....stagnating into a 'comfort zone' would be the death knell for them.

That's how some of us feel about Sky Blue Sky. I understand you really like the album and I respect that opinion, and I've made my opinion on the record fairly clear over the last year since it's been out, as well.

I don't necessarily think people want the next Wilco album to be a carbon copy of YHF or A Ghost is Born or Summerteeth or for the band to morph into Loose Fur, but rather for the new Wilco album to return to the quality of those releases.

I see Sky Blue Sky as the Let it Be (the Beatles one, not the Replacements) of Wilco's discography, it's not a bad record but it's not exactly Sgt. Pepper or The White Album or Abbey Road or Revolver.

Thankfully, Phil Spector never got his hands on the mixes on of Sky Blue Sky.

--Mike

In the words of Rosanne Rossannadanna "it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another."

The cameras distilled about 20 minutes of what must have been going on constantly for years.

That fight is probably the most publicized incident of the Tweedy/Bennett falling out and it happened to be what I used as an example. I didn't literally mean if Jay had shut up about Heavy Metal Drummer that day he'd still be in the band, but rather if Jay had found away to communicate his opinions and feelings more affectively.

--Mike

I see Sky Blue Sky as the Let it Be (the Beatles one, not the Replacements) of Wilco's discography, it's not a bad record but it's not exactly Sgt. Pepper or The White Album or Abbey Road or Revolver.

--Mike

The Beatles were done after Let It Be. Are you implying the same for Wilco? :ohwell

I know you didn' mean it, but I had to bring it up.

That's how some of us feel about Sky Blue Sky. I understand you really like the album and I respect that opinion, and I've made my opinion on the record fairly clear over the last year since it's been out, as well.

I don't necessarily think people want the next Wilco album to be a carbon copy of YHF or A Ghost is Born or Summerteeth or for the band to morph into Loose Fur, but rather for the new Wilco album to return to the quality of those releases.

--Mike

As another person who really likes SBS let me say that I respect your opinion and I understand how/why you really don

I had a conversation with a friend of mine not long ago who is a huge wilco fan and a huge Being There fan. Basically I explained that SBS is better than both BT and ST

by quality alone. I concluded by saying I would admit that if this lineup recorded 12 songs from being there the same way that they made SBS it might be a better record.

That speaks to the qualities of BT which are not in doubt.

The strength of BT was the lack of cohesion and organic creation of music that happened with that specific lineup -- at that specific point in their lives. I highly doubt I would like the record half as much if a different lineup or fashion of recording was employed. I think SBS is a good record, but strongly disagree that it is better than BT and ST. The tension in those two albums created some of Wilco's best moments.

But even though SBS is my second-least favorite Wilco album, I still enjoy it, and I'm glad they went that direction. I think it was a healthy progression for them as a band. Like the buildup in Kidsmoke, sometimes great albums require patience and build-up moments before the payoff. I think SBS is excellent foundation for a more experimental record -- much like A.M. and BT were foundational for ST, YHF, and AGiB.

You all make valid points, and everyone likes what they prefer, but we should always remember the previous 3 records came out of some pretty extreme chaos in Jeff's life. I was listening to YHF today, man some of those songs are still jarring. Radio Cure is one of the most pained vocals I can think of.....great bluesmen notwithstanding. AOAF is bloody depressing too. I love these songs to death, I'm just saying.

So he finally made it to a bit safer/quieter place, so that's the record he made with SBS. Seems simple enough to me, and I'm so happy for the guy. Much as I love YHF for example, I don't wish that Tweedy (and his family) go through that kind of shit again. I think they will get more experimental musically again, but I hope from the human side of things that the songs stay a little bit happier.

Note: This is an awfully long post, please feel free to ignore all of it, or skip to any section you may find relevant.

The Beatles were done after Let It Be. Are you implying the same for Wilco? :ohwell

I know you didn' mean it, but I had to bring it up.

No, I didn

"I see Sky Blue Sky as the Let it Be (the Beatles one, not the Replacements) of Wilco's discography, it's not a bad record but it's not exactly Sgt. Pepper or The White Album or Abbey Road or Revolver."

I think SBS is one of Wilco's best just behind "Being There" which I think is number one, their "White Album"........I'd compare it to "Rubber Soul".......And if the next one isn't as good as "Revolver" who cares.......I'll take "Magical Mystery Tour" any day......

I think SBS is excellent foundation for a more experimental record -- much like A.M. and BT were foundational for ST, YHF, and AGiB.

Totally agree, Look at a band like Sonic Youth who have survived this long making great records they couldn't try to make DN every time if they wanted to survive.

Sometime records are made out of transition. Sonic Youth had there 80s records (phase one) 90s (phase 2) and 2000's (phase three)

Wilco are on similar path though not by decade A.M, BT, ST, YHF, AGIB, PHASE ONE 95-04 SBS, lp7, Lp8, lp9, lp10 Phase two.

In some ways they have done something even more amazing you could argue my point to say that there have been 6 phases of wilco from record to record and I wouldn

Actually I think it was a pretty good one.....I too think AM and Being There are two of Wilco's best albums and believe SBS is right up there as well......What did he say in this review that was off base or untrue?.......I'm not into the sound collages on YHF or AGIB......But that's not to say I don't like the basic songs they add the electronic shit to......I've gotten used to them and have a wide collection of Jeff Tweedy performances of most of these songs that he plays acoustically in that BT or AM vein....I too am one of those early Uncle Tupelo fans who long for the country twang of old Wilco once in a while....But I appreciate and understand the changes they have made and believe they can be even better than in the past.....I think SBS is a bit of a throw back to what they were before YHF.....