• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much. There's no sense in engaging you on this subject (I haven't even heard Evil Urges), but the fact that you continually and vehemently posit your opinion as fact, and belittle those that disagree with your opinion, makes discussion with you (on this matter, anyway) completely pointless.

my favorite band is Phish

You had me up until here.

have you heard the new Dr. Dog? No Age?

And completely lost me here. Neither of these albums are that good. In fact, Nouns is pretty bad. I haven't heard the new Silver Jews album. So, you're saying it's good?

Alan, I know in your world there is no distinction between facts and (Alan's) opinion, but as Caliber66 pointed out, you should really look into that. It would be impossible for me to care less about what you think about my opinions. In fact, after reading your posts, the only thing that could make me insecure about my taste in music is if you agreed with me.

Its abundantly clear you want to fight over a passing reference I made to an album that has nothing to do with this thread. I don't. I'd rather discuss Wilco's next album, and won't be responding to you on this thread anymore (unless you want to discuss Wilco's next album

what i wish would happen would be for jay bennett to re-join the band, help jeff write all the songs, do all the deconstructing/looping/noise work in the studio, then leave the band and let the current cast play the songs live.

Have you heard Jay Bennett

what i wish would happen would be for jay bennett to re-join the band, help jeff write all the songs, do all the deconstructing/looping/noise work in the studio, then leave the band and let the current cast play the songs live.

Not going to happen unless the band wants to move to Champaign.......

I guess people need something to talk about here.....

LouieB

And completely lost me here. Neither of these albums are that good. In fact, Nouns is pretty bad. I haven't heard the new Silver Jews album. So, you're saying it's good?

it's my opinion that those albums are all very good for this year. Nouns might not make my top 10 but it's a better album than EU, and at least has some interesting things going on through out. Dr Dog's new one isn't as good as their last but i like it quite a bit. and yeah, the silver jews album is probably their best album since American Water. The new Byrne album is great though, and also Born Ruffians have a really great record out this year. imo imo imo

I fear this thread will not be on page one someday ... as it is a constant source of amusement for me.

But seriously, I was thinking about what makes more recent (i.e. One Wing and SBS) less exciting for me than YHF and AGiB, in particular. As I listened to Loose Fur's Born Again in the USA tonight, I realized (not for the first time) that the O'Rourke/Tweedy partnership is powerful. Listen to the 3:25-3:35 mark of Wreckroom on BAitUSA. That little interlude, to me, is what is missing from SBS. It's not the crazy freakouts that precede and follow that little bit. It would have been easy to NOT have that little interlude, but something tells me that the partnership of O'Rourke and Tweedy challenges to add those little unexpected parts that make a song wholly unique. Most songwriters (dare I say even Tweedy himself on SBS) would have just made a freak out part without returning oh so briefly to the quiet. Not to get TOO carried away with the comparison (because let's face it, Wreckroom is NOT A Day in The Life), but it reminds me of how McCartney added the "Woke up, fell out of bed..." interlude to that song. It didn't NEED to be there. It could have been another song entirely, but they challenged each other. As great as Tweedy's lyrics are and as great of a songwriter as he is, I miss the challenge that O'Rourke provides. I'm sure the next album will be great -- Tweedy alone is better than most -- but I would be most excited to see that partnership (Tweedy/O'Rourke) continue whether it be Wilco or Loose Fur.

I fear this thread will not be on page one someday ... as it is a constant source of amusement for me.

But seriously, I was thinking about what makes more recent (i.e. One Wing and SBS) less exciting for me than YHF and AGiB, in particular. As I listened to Loose Fur's Born Again in the USA tonight, I realized (not for the first time) that the O'Rourke/Tweedy partnership is powerful. Listen to the 3:25-3:35 mark of Wreckroom on BAitUSA. That little interlude, to me, is what is missing from SBS. It's not the crazy freakouts that precede and follow that little bit. It would have been easy to NOT have that little interlude, but something tells me that the partnership of O'Rourke and Tweedy challenges to add those little unexpected parts that make a song wholly unique. Most songwriters (dare I say even Tweedy himself on SBS) would have just made a freak out part without returning oh so briefly to the quiet. Not to get TOO carried away with the comparison (because let's face it, Wreckroom is NOT A Day in The Life), but it reminds me of how McCartney added the "Woke up, fell out of bed..." interlude to that song. It didn't NEED to be there. It could have been another song entirely, but they challenged each other. As great as Tweedy's lyrics are and as great of a songwriter as he is, I miss the challenge that O'Rourke provides. I'm sure the next album will be great -- Tweedy alone is better than most -- but I would be most excited to see that partnership (Tweedy/O'Rourke) continue whether it be Wilco or Loose Fur.

Moe knows. I find this post to be spot on. I have been listening to Jim's Insignificance a lot with both Jeff and Glenn play on and the interaction between them is wonderful. The little shifts into the unexpected like that on Ghost and BAitUSA are wonderful, and sadly I think that's part of what's missing on Sky Blue Sky. I'd be very happy if O'Rourke eventually joined the band full time.

Mastershake's suggestion of bringing Bennett back into the fold in a "Brian Wilson" role is actually pretty interesting. The arrangement Jeff and Jay write the songs, the band records them, O'Rourke mixes it, worked really well.

We've talked about this ad nauseam in the seven years since he's been out of the band, but regardless of what you think about him as an arranger, guitar player, white guy with dread locks, person, etc. The dude co-wrote some of the best songs in Wilco's catalog. I don't think they need him to make a good album, I don't think they need him to make a great album, but there's certainly part of me that wonders "if only the guy would have shut up about the damn orchestra going into Heavy Metal Drummer" what might have happened?

--Mike

there's certainly part of me that wonders "if only the guy would have shut up about the damn orchestra going into Heavy Metal Drummer" what might have happened?

--Mike

In the words of Rosanne Rossannadanna "it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another."

The cameras distilled about 20 minutes of what must have been going on constantly for years.

Any new endeavor by a band is a celebration of who they are at that time. I look forward to whatever the current lineup comes up with -- with whomever they bring in to help form and shape their vision.

Mastershake's suggestion of bringing Bennett back into the fold in a "Brian Wilson" role is actually pretty interesting. The arrangement Jeff and Jay write the songs, the band records them, O'Rourke mixes it, worked really well.

--Mike

I like this alot not only in the musical sense...........but a healing of souls and egos could take place in it's wake.......

-Robert.

after much consideration, i have determined.

I fear no album other than YHF will ever be YHF.

Moe knows. I find this post to be spot on. I have been listening to Jim's Insignificance a lot with both Jeff and Glenn play on and the interaction between them is wonderful. The little shifts into the unexpected like that on Ghost and BAitUSA are wonderful, and sadly I think that's part of what's missing on Sky Blue Sky. I'd be very happy if O'Rourke eventually joined the band full time.

We've talked about this ad nauseam in the seven years since he's been out of the band, but regardless of what you think about him as an arranger, guitar player, white guy with dread locks, person, etc. The dude co-wrote some of the best songs in Wilco's catalog. I don't think they need him to make a good album, I don't think they need him to make a great album, but there's certainly part of me that wonders "if only the guy would have shut up about the damn orchestra going into Heavy Metal Drummer" what might have happened?

--Mike

"exactly what do you want me to be" I think that was a rhetorical question. I don't disagree with you becuz I love that era of songs but there is so much material to listen to.

I am honestlly excited for the next album and not becuz Im a fanboy thats a b.s argument. SBS was this lineups A.M so maybe the next album will be a double album.

Not to get TOO carried away with the comparison (because let's face it, Wreckroom is NOT A Day in The Life), but it reminds me of how McCartney added the "Woke up, fell out of bed..." interlude to that song. It didn't NEED to be there. It could have been another song entirely, but they challenged each other.

it WAS another song entirely, but one of those short songs that gets left in the bin - apart from it didn't, because they stuck it in the middle of A Day In The Life. I think that's true, from what i've read.

i agree with you totally about o'rourke. they definately need him back, even if it's just to mix the next album and remove the chaff.