• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow. how many albums have you heard this year. i loved Z, but Evil Urges was on of the albums that's already been deleted from my harddrive. Highly Suspicious might be the worst song i've heard this year. i think pitchfork is right on about this one. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/reco...1074-evil-urges

unless you're just a fanboy, how can you say a bands worst album is the best of the year?

Damn. I leave for a Sunday, and this whole thread changes based off a quick reference I made to Evil Urges? Alan, the point of my brief post was to indicate my excitement for new Wilco music -- if you're looking to pick a fight over EU, there's an MMJ board on their site, and at least a few discussions on VC. I was referencing EU because of the new sounds it exposed me to (particularly the first 3 songs on the albums). MMJ and Wilco are similar to me in the regard that they often change direction significantly from album to album, which was the reason for the comparison. Its not surprising that someone who takes things like message boards and brief references to other albums so seriously doesn't like "Highly Supspicious". I don't think its all that serious of a song (IMO, the guts of EU is where the action is). As for your questions about my 2008 album consumption, I'm a voracious consumer of new music, have seen dozens of shows this year and purchased plenty of new music (my dad can also beat up your dad) -- and EU is easily in my top 5 this year, maybe number 1 (although my 3rd or 4th fav MMJ album overall -- and for the record, a band's "worst album" CAN be the best album of the year, if they're a really good band). To say "thats just wrong" about the aformentioned opinion is patently ridiculous. If that makes me a "fanboy" -- then guilty as charged (I don't think you did anything more to detract from your credibility than the use of the word "fanboy"). I'd answer more of your questions, but people below have said it as well as I could anyway:

Aren't opinions subjective? My grandmother loved Lawrence Welk, but I didn't lambaste her for having her own likes and dislikes.
All of the reviewers are in agreement? I guess Rolling Stone, Spin, Paste, EW, Billboard, etc. failed to get the memo about how all music critics are supposed to find Evil Urges to be a disappointment. (There might not be consensus--is there ever consensus?--but as far as I can tell, most critics think the album is pretty darn good.)
You can't point to the general critical reception as "proof" that the album sucks when, in truth, the general critical reception has been favorable to the album. (I'm not suggesting that the friendly press "proves" the album is successful, by the way. General critical opinion is just another set of opinions, open to discussion and debate. As for me, I'm not entirely sold on EU; it's certainly not my favorite MMJ.)
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that I'll enjoy the next Wilco album ten times more than any My Morning Jacket album.

That's just wrong. Classic fanboy post.

That's just wrong. Classic fanboy post.

It has nothing to do with being a Wilco "fanboy." I merely don't like a band that everyone else seems to like, so it's reasonable to predict that I will enjoy the next album by a band I do like much more than any album by the other band.

It has nothing to do with being a Wilco "fanboy." I merely don't like a band that everyone else seems to like, so it's reasonable to predict that I will enjoy the next album by a band I do like much more than any album by the other band.

Sarcasm. Humor. Not to be taken seriously. (This post has gone from a fun, sometimes even funny discussion of Wilco's next album to a very serious discussion of the merits of MMJ). Please see below from above post.

If that makes me a "fanboy" -- then guilty as charged (I don't think you did anything more to detract from your credibility than the use of the word "fanboy").
On the subject of so called "freak outs", when I listen to aGiB, it seems there's just as many freak outs as on SBS. It's like some Wilco fans are afraid of guitar solos or something. :hmm

I'd chalk that up to a humbleness, in that Tweedy found his inner-freak-out on aGiB, and then they add Nels Cline, and they can manage to hold back on the freakouts on SBS.

Damn. I leave for a Sunday, and this whole thread changes based off a quick reference I made to Evil Urges? Alan, the point of my brief post was to indicate my excitement for new Wilco music -- if you're looking to pick a fight over EU, there's an MMJ board on their site, and at least a few discussions on VC.

really? i thought this was the only message board on the internet. are you inferring that discussions on this board are not supposed to branch off into other topics? it happens, get over it.

Its not surprising that someone who takes things like message boards and brief references to other albums so seriously doesn't like "Highly Supspicious". I don't think its all that serious of a song (IMO, the guts of EU is where the action is).

you have to be kiddding me. my favorite band is Phish, and i love zappa, i think i know how to appreciate a song that isn't serious. i'm aware that Highly Suspicious isn't to be taken seriously, but that doesn't mean it gets a free pass and can suck as much as it does without people pointing it out.

As for your questions about my 2008 album consumption, I'm a voracious consumer of new music, have seen dozens of shows this year and purchased plenty of new music (my dad can also beat up your dad) -- and EU is easily in my top 5 this year, maybe number 1

this is the most telling point you've brought up. that you can put an album like EU at the top of any list is ridiculous to me. and blah blah, it's your opinion, well it's my opinion that you can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to MMJ. have you heard the new Silver Jews? David Byrne and Brian Eno? Dr. Dog? No Age? Raconteurs? Hell, even Al Green put out a better album this year. And I could go on and on and on but you've got your MMJ colored glasses on so it's pointless.

(although my 3rd or 4th fav MMJ album overall -- and for the record, a band's "worst album" CAN be the best album of the year, if they're a really good band). To say "thats just wrong" about the aformentioned opinion is patently ridiculous.

MMJ might be a "really good band" but they aren't that good. i could probably count the number of bands in history that are that good on two hands.

If that makes me a "fanboy" -- then guilty as charged (I don't think you did anything more to detract from your credibility than the use of the word "fanboy"). I'd answer more of your questions, but people below have said it as well as I could anyway:

well when your opinions are so out in left-field i don't know how else to understand where you're coming from, other then that you are so in love with this band that they can do no wrong for you. i don't really see how the use of the word fanboy does anything to my credibility at all. it describes a lot of people around here. really, i hope you just like MMJ that much that you can't see straight. it's ok, i've been there. when i was 14 no one could have told me that there was a better band than Nirvana. if that's the case, you'll grow out of it. if not, then i don't know what to say.