I'm in the YHF & AGiB > SBS or A.M. crowd, but any review that extensively references The Band, and contains this line: "[Cline's] guitar lines skedaddle and scamper across bridges and refrains, refraining from nothing" can't be the "worst music review ever." I disagreed here and there, but enjoyed the read.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I added that review becuz I felt it was a good contrast to the pitchfork review. I don't like music reviews to begin with I think writers should stick to reviewing books.

Music reviews tend not give an acurate image whether good or bad so I like that the tiny mix tapes review just gives you the big picture asking questions instead of answering them.

I've always felt that the now defunct Stylus Magazine had the best feel for reviewing Wilco, now naturally I am saying that because I happen to agree with their reviews, but they were always spot on in my opinion. Popmatters reviews are a fun read, but frankly their so laudatory I feel like I am reading an elaborate press release sometimes.

"The worst review you've ever read." Hmm... care to elaborate?

I throughly enjoyed reading your last post Panther. I think we've reached an understanding here. The great thing about this band's discography is that there's really something everybody. You dig the country sound you have AM and Being There, you like the poppy side you have Summerteeth and the easily obtainable YHF demos, you like the "sonic weight" YHF and A Ghost is Born. Everyone is ultimately right for their own reasons, except, of course, the people who think Son Volt is better.

--Mike

I've always felt that the now defunct Stylus Magazine had the best feel for reviewing Wilco, now naturally I am saying that because I happen to agree with their reviews, but they were always spot on in my opinion. Popmatters reviews are a fun read, but frankly their so laudatory I feel like I am reading an elaborate press release sometimes.

I throughly enjoyed reading your last post Panther. I think we've reached an understanding here. The great thing about this band's discography is that there's really something everybody. You dig the country sound you have AM and Being There, you like the poppy side you have Summerteeth and the easily obtainable YHF demos, you like the "sonic weight" YHF and A Ghost is Born. Everyone is ultimately right for their own reasons, except, of course, the people who think Son Volt is better.

--Mike

Right on :thumbup and yea I think we have. sometimes its worth it to try

this is the worst music review I have ever read.

I have read worse, but this one did not even mention Steely Dan once.

The Band and Wilco shuck similar cornstalks.

Oy.

Plus, out of all the bands out there today, I'm pretty sure Wilco is the only one deserving of the comparison to the Band.

I totally agree with that sentiment.

I have to add: What the fuck is everyone here talking about? I'm lost.

I fear a new album not coming out soon cause the stuff people fill their minds with in between is really a turn off from all directions. I realize it's a discussion board, but it's more of a discussion bored.

i think my main problem is that it wasn't even a review. I definitely got around to going over the content, but they didn't even analyze the album. What was good about the album? what was bad? instead we get a random, literary mess of relating Wilco to The Band, something I'm SURE NO ONE has heard of. I don' care that he thought the album was good, that's not my problem. it's the fact he went at length to make all these comparisons without even talking about why the album is good or bad. A rating doesn't suffice, a review is a review, not some pretentious exercise in witty use of language and comparison. I felt like I was reading some kind of William Shatner monologue. Yeah, he goes about saying they're good musicians and hints at it being something along the lines of "typically sounding good" but otherwise it's just a boring collage of over intellectualized ideas.

Why "fear"?

If you don't like the new stuff, don't listen to it. End of discussion.

Wilco isn't going to tailor their music to your tastes.

I'm sick of the defensive Wilco apologists cramping this convo every time we try to have it on this board

I'm sick of the defensive Wilco apologists cramping this convo every time we try to have it on this board

I think he's saying don't get all worked up over something you can't control.

You all make valid points, and everyone likes what they prefer, but we should always remember the previous 3 records came out of some pretty extreme chaos in Jeff's life. I was listening to YHF today, man some of those songs are still jarring. Radio Cure is one of the most pained vocals I can think of.....great bluesmen notwithstanding. AOAF is bloody depressing too. I love these songs to death, I'm just saying.

So he finally made it to a bit safer/quieter place, so that's the record he made with SBS. Seems simple enough to me, and I'm so happy for the guy. Much as I love YHF for example, I don't wish that Tweedy (and his family) go through that kind of shit again. I think they will get more experimental musically again, but I hope from the human side of things that the songs stay a little bit happier.

Excellent Post!!

It's a stupid "convo" to begin with. Either you like the music or you don't. Talk about it if you want, I won't stop you.

I'm hardly a "defensive Wilco apologist." I've expressed my opinions about various Wilco songs, albums, shows, and other topics on this board for years, and some of those opinions have been pretty negative. I struggled for a good while with SBS before finally coming around to it. I am only now beginning to "get" AGIB. Etc.

I think he's saying don't get all worked up over something you can't control.

Pretty much.

It's a stupid "convo" to begin with. Either you like the music or you don't. Talk about it if you want, I won't stop you.

I'm hardly a "defensive Wilco apologist." I've expressed my opinions about various Wilco songs, albums, shows, and other topics on this board for years, and some of those opinions have been pretty negative. I struggled for a good while with SBS before finally coming around to it. I am only now beginning to "get" AGIB. Etc.

Pretty much.

It's not a stupid conversation at all, it's a really interesting one, and there are few better places to have it.

"QUOTE (froggie @ Sep 2 2008, 10:26 PM)

nightmare

???? "

sorry... the album still hasnt got me. on stage, the songs sound good, but too dry/sterile on the studio version

but SBS was a big sigh of relief. i hope they continue with a similar sound