I'm afraid of spiders (no pun intended) and bees. And the dentist.

i heard or read somewhere recently that almost wherever you are in the world at any given time, you are never more than six feet away from a spider.

i hope i didn't read that here.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He plays around Chicago fairly frequently so you can find him playing the occasional club date here if you miss him.

LouieB

That'd be a hell of a commute for Froggie. I think it goes without saying at this point (do an archive search of every time I've praised Leroy's contributions to the band... or if you want to save time I've done it as many times as jack's war on war has made an annoyingly long post about Christopher Hitchens), but I agree with him completely.

--Mike

As far as what the next album might be, don't overlook the approach the band has taken with all of its albums, but, at least thematically, the last three.

There has been a theme, concept, approach to each album through which the writing, instrumentation, recording, mixing and sequencing have been ruled by.

Asking for more noise, more Glenn, less/no Nels, more cowbell -- those are all circumstances that fit/don't fit the overall thematic approach the band takes.

I've been rereading The Wilco Book and Adult Head, and it's been interesting to read how that all fits together with AGIB.

With each Wilco album, there's so much more to it than you think.

Summerteeth is the vision of Jay Bennett dominating. YHF is what happens when he was forced to compromise control. I would say that much of what we regard as the wilco aesthetic from the past three records, from the ensemble playing, to the avant flourishes, to the distinctive production style is a break from that Summerteeth approach. When I heard Bennett's solo record this became increasingly clear. I would say O'Rourke's stamp on the band has been just as, if not more significant since he came into the picture. (thank god)

Not to be intended as a diss of Kenny C., but we all do realize that Glenn is a thousand times the drummer that Ken was/is. For my money he's the best there is out there.

This is yet another bullshit thread - going on about an album that has not even been made?

Anyhow - what you said is like comparing Neil Peart to Cosmo Clifford. It is just two different styles, one drummer (in this case, anyhow) is not better than the other one - at least, that is how I see it.

This is yet another bullshit thread - going on about an album that has not even been made?

yeah, i can't believe there is speculation about the next wilco album, wait, get this..... ON A WILCO MESSAGE BOARD. my mind is blown man.

discussion is healthy, and if people are bored enough to speculate on this, as worthless as it may be, then go for it. don't just dismiss it as a "bullshit thread". because if you do that, you have to call more than half the threads on this message board "bullshit thread"s.

as for commenting on the actual content of this thread... i'm not sure getting rid of nels is the answer. we found out that these two new songs were leftovers from SBS which is relieving. i don't think there is any need for change right now, but we'll know more after this album is made. i'm hoping for some growth on the next album, and hopefully, some innovation. we know they're capable of it, but who knows if Jeff is in that mindset. chances are they'll go in and record this next album very similarly to SBS. and by that i mean recording it live and not doing the deconstruction they did on YHF or the piecing together they've done in the past. but that doesn't mean they can't do something fresh and new and write a new chapter in the book of wilco. if there is one reason i love this band, it's because they aren't stagnant. now if they can continue that trend without any major personnel shifts, that is yet to be seen.

yeah, i can't believe there is speculation about the next wilco album, wait, get this..... ON A WILCO MESSAGE BOARD. my mind is blown man.

I don't mind criticism of the band - I have criticized them myself. But - all these threads about how Nels sucks, SBS sucks, how they owe people various things, etc., is a bit much don't you think?

discussion is healthy, and if people are bored enough to speculate on this, as worthless as it may be, then go for it. don't just dismiss it as a "bullshit thread". because if you do that, you have to call more than half the threads on this message board "bullshit thread"s.

That's what I meant - another one, among many.

I have a feeling many people really want them to make Yankee Hotel Foxtrot over and over again. I think for a lot of the more recent fans, that was their initial exposure to the band - and that is what they think all the Wilco songs should sound like.

Whereas, we know that all the Wilco albums are different, and hence, the next one will be different from SBS. If people don't connect with it, there is no reason to buy it, or, create multiple threads about how much they hate it. But, we are not even there yet, as the album has not even been recorded.

Once again, you're right on the money Analog.

To be honest, it's hard for me to dislike anything Wilco puts out because Jeff Tweedy just writes incredible music. Yeah some songs/albums are better than others, but even Wilcos worst songs are better than most bands best songs.

I don't mind criticism of the band - I have criticized them myself. But - all these threads about how Nels sucks, SBS sucks, how they owe people various things, etc., is a bit much don't you think?

That's what I meant - another one, among many.

I have a feeling many people really want them to make Yankee Hotel Foxtrot over and over again. I think for a lot of the more recent fans, that was their initial exposure to the band - and that is what they think all the Wilco songs should sound like.

Whereas, we know that all the Wilco albums are different, and hence, the next one will be different from SBS. If people don't connect with it, there is no reason to buy it, or, create multiple threads about how much they hate it. But, we are not even there yet, as the album has not even been recorded.

i got into wilco based off of YHF, but since then i've become very familiar with their catalog and have loved the progression so far. and within that progression wilco has changed their lineup several times. i think people are just scared that if they keep the same lineup, that we'll get SBS part two. I don't really think people are hoping for another YHF. actually based on the people i've talked to (not wilco fanboys) YHF hasn't really held up over the years. you can agree or disagree with that, but i haven't heard anyone say they want another YHF sounding album.

just because the last 6 wilco albums have all been different isn't enough to assure everyone that the next one will be. and who cares if we aren't there yet. this is speculation, that's what these stupid message boards are built on.

Once again, you're right on the money Analog.

To be honest, it's hard for me to dislike anything Wilco puts out because Jeff Tweedy just writes incredible music. Yeah some songs/albums are better than others, but even Wilcos worst songs are better than most bands best songs.

well yeah, most bands suck. there are a LOT of bands out there.

Well said.

it's hard for me to dislike anything Wilco puts out because Jeff Tweedy just writes incredible music

Right-o.

A good song is a good song, regardless of who plays a guitar lead on it or who plays drums on it or how much white noise is on the recording. All that will influence the outcome, but the heart of a song doesn't reflect the window dressing. And Jeff is a master of writing simple and powerful songs.

I often read these comments saying that Nels overpowers SBS, "does every song need to end with a big Nels freakout" (particularly w/ "One Wing" being unleashed), and I just have to point out... there are really only 2 songs on SBS that end with a huge Nels solo (IG + SWTS). He does a very beautiful, tasteful solo in the middle of "Either Way", he does a solo that most people mistook for Jeff on YAMF, does another very sparse melody in "Patient With Me", and has a brief run in "Hate it Here" (which also has a Jeff solo). ...and that's it. Jeff does the solo on the title track, and the end of Walken is more of a collaborative effort. "Thanks I Get" had a (not very good, on the studio recording) Nels solo, and I think "Carried Away" has one but that's obviously overshadowed by the drum solo.

I actually found Nels quite restrained on SBS..I wonder if some people think of "Impossible Germany" AS the album. If anybody was being showcased, it was John! His basslines are just solid across the entire album.

I often read these comments saying that Nels overpowers SBS, "does every song need to end with a big Nels freakout" (particularly w/ "One Wing" being unleashed), and I just have to point out... there are really only 2 songs on SBS that end with a huge Nels solo (IG + SWTS). He does a very beautiful, tasteful solo in the middle of "Either Way", he does a solo that most people mistook for Jeff on YAMF, does another very sparse melody in "Patient With Me", and has a brief run in "Hate it Here" (which also has a Jeff solo). ...and that's it. Jeff does the solo on the title track, and the end of Walken is more of a collaborative effort. "Thanks I Get" had a (not very good, on the studio recording) Nels solo, and I think "Carried Away" has one but that's obviously overshadowed by the drum solo.

I actually found Nels quite restrained on SBS..I wonder if some people think of "Impossible Germany" AS the album. If anybody was being showcased, it was John! His basslines are just solid across the entire album.

Very good points, Nels' solo on Patient With Me is quite tasteful. I just felt from my initial reaction to One Wing was that "yeah Nels, we've heard this all before", that was it, guaranteed it's going to be completely different recorded.

Very good points, Nels' solo on Patient With Me is quite tasteful. I just felt from my initial reaction to One Wing was that "yeah Nels, we've heard this all before", that was it, guaranteed it's going to be completely different recorded.

That's actually Jeff. According to the linear notes Nels isn't on that one.

--Mike

According to the credits, Nels did not play on "Patient". In fact, I distinctly remember him mentioning that when he introduced the song (the only Wilco song) on his podcast.

According to the credits, Nels did not play on "Patient". In fact, I distinctly remember him mentioning that when he introduced the song (the only Wilco song) on his podcast.

:D. Looks like we posted the exact same thing at the exact same time, great minds...

--Mike

Much as I enjoy all the Wilco albums, I would argue they have only made two really exceptional studio records (ST and YHF, naturally). With these, nearly every song is presented in its' indispensable, definitive version. With all the others, the recorded versions tend to pale in comparison to how they're performed live. There may be a couple of exceptions - ike Sunken Treasure - but not many. So while I eagerly look forward to the next record, I'm not overly concerned with how it gets executed.

That's just my opinion and YMMAPWV...

I would rather Nels wasn't in the band because I like Jeff's guitar playing a lot more, and I don't care for the stuff he adds to the old songs live. My favorite live line-up was the stripped down four piece just after Jay left the band.

QFT.

SBS is a good album, but I wouldn't want another one in its style. But I'm not too worried that will happen.

Of course this is subjective...Jeff is kind of clumsy with his axe, at times this is good, like on ALTWYS. I love that shit. Butt, overall Nels is about 5 levels about ol' Jeffy. Lap and electric and whatever else he pulls out. He is good as shit. And when you consider a live performance, no way Jeff could sing and play near as good as the current lineup. We love Nels.

Alongside a plethora of other reasons -- anyone who has experienced the Nels Cline Singers knows firsthand that Mr. Cline is the opposite of pedestrian.

As for the next album -- much like Jacket's Evil Urges, I'm just looking forward to Jeff & co. taking me on a unique musical journey and exposing my ears to some tantalizing new sounds. I think people have a natural inclination to want to control the direction of their favorite bands. Perhaps subconsciously we all fancy ourselves vicarious producers at The Loft. We're not -- we have no control -- nor would I want any. Its more fun to ride a roller coaster when you don't know what the next turn brings.

At the end of the day, in JT I trust. You'd have lost a lot $$$ over the years betting against him.

As for the next album -- much like Jacket's Evil Urges, I'm just looking forward to Jeff & co. taking me on a unique musical journey and exposing my ears to some tantalizing new sounds.

that'd be cool. as long as it doesn't suck like Evil Urges.