I'm not a very big fan of SBS, some good stuff in there but overall a very disappointing record.

And very few of the other SBS era songs do much for me, Let's Fight, Let's Not Get Carried Away, Glad It's Over, One True Vine are all a bit pedestrian IMO.

What's worrying is this vein of mediocrity seems to have caught on for quite a while now and I just wonder will the next album be more of the same...

Kick Nels Cline out for a start and we might see some results...

Discuss...

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

You know, it took me a LONG time to get into the new album. I listened to it a few times in May 2007, put it on the shelf, and threw it back on around March of this year - and I haven't really taken it off since. At one point while I was listening to it again for the first time in ages, it occurred to me that what I feared more than SBS was a half-hearted 'experimental' album with 'abstract' lyrics that wasn't representative of where the band was at that time. Tweedy's lyrics are what he feels like writing right now; his songs are songs he feels like writing; the band he's with feels like arranging them this way. That's all I really want from the band.

Why "fear"?

If you don't like the new stuff, don't listen to it. End of discussion.

Wilco isn't going to tailor their music to your tastes.

I 'fear' that they've lost some of the creative spark that made them one of the best bands around and they'll never reach the heights they have done with all their reords bar SBS, which would be a great shame.

I don't listen to the new stuff, it bores me.

I never asked nor want them to 'tailor' their music to my tastes.

Jesus...

You can't make a post that ends with, "Kick Nels Cline out for a start and we might see some results" and then act surprised when people have strong reactions.

If you don't like the new stuff Wilco puts out, enjoy their old stuff and move on to a band who does still impress or inspire you. Life's too short, blah, blah, blah.

You know, it took me a LONG time to get into the new album. I listened to it a few times in May 2007, put it on the shelf, and threw it back on around March of this year - and I haven't really taken it off since. At one point while I was listening to it again for the first time in ages, it occurred to me that what I feared more than SBS was a half-hearted 'experimental' album with 'abstract' lyrics that wasn't representative of where the band was at that time. Tweedy's lyrics are what he feels like writing right now; his songs are songs he feels like writing; the band he's with feels like arranging them this way. That's all I really want from the band.

well said. people grow. tweedy and the band grow. i'm really glad they do.

What's worrying is this vein of mediocrity seems to have caught on for quite a while now and I just wonder will the next album be more of the same...

Discuss...

Blaming Nels is off target. If you've watched the dvd that comes with SBS you'd know that SBS is what it is because it is what Tweedy wanted it to be. He wanted to put out a simple "song" album and not a "soundscape" album, for lack of a better word. He didn't seem to be in the mood to labor in the studio. He stated his case very clearly.

We should all have a pretty good idea by now of Nels' musical/sonic range based on hearing his decades worth of non-Wilco output. It's not mediocre, and none of it pedestrian, even that which is not particularly good (see: Bloc).

It's probably true that Nels, and Glen for that matter (maybe the whole band, even), were not given as much to do on SBS as a lot of fans would have liked. That's because playing a song in a straightforward way is the opposite of fiddling around in a studio overdubbing all sorts of loopng devices, egg whisks, crotales and hose equipped floor toms.

I would like for the next album to have a few more shining moments from Nels and Glen. (Michael and Pat, too. I don't mean to exclude them.) Maybe some more studio trickery and experimental sounds would be nice.

I don't know of any evidence that can support a statement like "kick Nels out and maybe we'll get reults", but if you disagree, please share.

I would like for the next album to have a few more shining moments from Nels and Glen. (Michael and Pat, too. I don't mean to exclude them.) Maybe some more studio trickery and experimental sounds would be nice.

I think you are going to get your wish. I have heard it several times by John and Jeff that they are going to go crazy with this album, with the layers, effects, the trickery, and with their current line up, it will be so great that the universe will explode.

Discuss...

Jeff is very much in control of most aspects of the band. He decides on the set lists each night, he writes the songs, he seems to be the one to most influence the overall sound of an album. That's not to say that the other band members don't contribute, because they very much do, but if you want to point a finger and blame someone for Wilco's new "pedestrian" sound (and while I respect that you don't like SBS, I think you're way off base to call it pedestrian), it seems wrong to blame anyone other than Jeff.

Jeff said in a recent interview that the recording process for SBS was very much back to basics, and that as they start recording the next album, they want to make better use of the studio itself as an instrument, using overdubs more overdubs and things like that. I don't expect the next album to sound anything like SBS for that reason. It's going to evolve into something richer and much more layered, in my opinion.

If anything, I think kicking Nels out of the band would actually make it more likely that the next album would sound more pedestrian (just as kicking out Glenn or Mikael would, since I think they're equally capable of experimentation in their other projects). One of the truly great things about Wilco is that all of them are encouraged to go off and make other music, and when they do come back together as a band, either in the studio or on the road, those other projects enrich the music they write, record, and play as Wilco.

Having been to a bunch of Nels's shows with the Singers this year and having heard some of the most recent material he's written. It's miles away from SBS and miles away from pedestrian, which I guess I could argue about most of his work with the Singers, but I think that's going to give him a lot of new ideas for the next time they go back to the studio.

Kicking Nels out isn't the solution. I'm not sure that there's really any need at all for a solution, but if it is, maybe it would be Jeff sharing more of the songwriting with the other band members.

Dude, maybe Tweedy should just start drinking heavily and getting all fucked up on pharmie cocktails. That's pretty much the equivalent to what you just wrote.

I'm not a very big fan of SBS, some good stuff in there but overall a very disappointing record.

And very few of the other SBS era songs do much for me, Let's Fight, Let's Not Get Carried Away, Glad It's Over, One True Vine are all a bit pedestrian IMO.

Discuss...

you sound like a raging moron. discuss

You gotta be shittin me.....

Relax everyone...its a fucking album, not the second coming. It is just a bunch of songs from what is supposed to be everyone's favorite group. No one knows what it will sound like when it is done. If you don't like it, don't buy it (or don't download it for free before you can buy it if history is any indication, this will be possible.) I have heard complaints on "Wilco's next album" ever since Wilco started making albums including AM.

LouieB

From what I've been hearing, I'm really excited about this album. This lineup getting creative in the studio is about the best thing that can be going on in music these days.

Plus, I have other shit going on in my life that I find it bizarre to "fear" a record.

I appreciate that they're working so hard to get this out so soon, also. This is lightspeed compared to the past.

I really like SBS. It's a great, relaxing hammock album. Nels is fantastic and really does justice to their sound (especially live). Wilco usually does a good job of making each new album stand apart from all the others. I just hope that they keep growing so that the next album doesn't stop their trend of changing it up. I just hope Glenn gets a little more space in this new album. The SBS songs didn't seem like they gave him enough room to really kick ass.

I think you are going to get your wish. I have heard it several times by John and Jeff that they are going to go crazy with this album, with the layers, effects, the trickery, and with their current line up, it will be so great that the universe will explode.

I agree with Lamrod with the exception that the it will be so great that the end result will be that the universe will implode.

Discuss...

Nels rocks man.