• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I repeat again that we all have no idea what the next record will actually sound like.

But, comments the band has made seem to be exciting most of us..... me too.

It just occurred to me that the band has not been playing as much of the new material as we may have thought. Two songs were debuted and neither has been played for some time. I wonder if the band is going to keep a tighter lid on this one, so we don't analyze it to death before we get to hear a finished work.

It sounds like Jeff has been extremely productive in terms of songwriting this year. That's enough to make me excited. The more songs they record, the more they'll have to choose from, which means a better chance for a strong album, and maybe even a completely different sounding bonus EP. A new Wilco album next year! I don't see the point in picking it apart until we've actually got it, and even then, I'll be more interested in listening to it than in reading the threads packed with people deconstructing every second of it the day it comes out.

I repeat again that we all have no idea what the next record will actually sound like.

But, comments the band has made seem to be exciting most of us..... me too.

It occurred to me that the current tour, starting with the residency shows and, plausibly, concluding with residency shows 2, and presumably before the new album's release, the touring with Total Pros, especially on the new music, it certainly provides an opportunity to the band, as well as the fans, to bring "closure" (maybe not the best word) or at least a way to close out a chapter of the band. A place to change directions.

The only thing that I will say concerning the new album and One Wing, is that I am extremely excited for a lot more studio experimentation etc. But I AM afraid (from my impressions of One Wing) that the band will fall into the "Nels freakout" trap. He has such a distinct style and sound that I hope it doesn't become custom to give him his little shining moment in each song, I'd really love to hear him do something "beautiful", for lack of a better word.

The only thing that I will say concerning the new album and One Wing, is that I am extremely excited for a lot more studio experimentation etc. But I AM afraid (from my impressions of One Wing) that the band will fall into the "Nels freakout" trap. He has such a distinct style and sound that I hope it doesn't become custom to give him his little shining moment in each song, I'd really love to hear him do something "beautiful", for lack of a better word.

IMO SBS should of been the greatest wilco record to date and instead was the greatest disappointment to date. For how progressive they are this record should've been ridiculous. Even if nels does have a "shining moment" on every song its not gonna overshadow any of the other members. What do you think is happening when you see them live. Nels adds his touch to every song( rightfully so), and in IMO makes them so much better. Anybody that attended the residency knows what im talking about. so many of the songs on SBS felt like incomplete thoughts to me and could've used that cline touch. Side with the seeds is a good example. Everybody shines on that song even with nels freaking out.

IMO SBS should of been the greatest wilco record to date and instead was the greatest disappointment to date. For how progressive they are this record should've been ridiculous. Even if nels does have a "shining moment" on every song its not gonna overshadow any of the other members. What do you think is happening when you see them live. Nels adds his touch to every song( rightfully so), and in IMO makes them so much better. Anybody that attended the residency knows what im talking about. so many of the songs on SBS felt like incomplete thoughts to me and could've used that cline touch. Side with the seeds is a good example. Everybody shines on that song even with nels freaking out.

wha?

So, you like what Nels does to the SBS songs in concert, but you don't like what he does on the album? Help me understand.

I agree about One Wing, that's very much what I thought when I heard it. Especially having heard Nels live (with Scott Amendola) not long before hearing that song, it struck me that what Nels is doing in Wilco is not necessarily what Nels does best. I'm not sure how the two styles could be more fully integrated, but I agree that just sticking a Nels part into a song doesn't exactly make the best use of his talent.

I realize that the "Nels freakout" moments are not all that Nels is doing in Wilco, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather have less of those, and more of the other.

sorry i was kindof all over the place with my post. I wasnt exclusively talking about live SBS songs i was talking about all wilco songs . and as far as the album goes side with the seeds is a a good example of nels freaking out and it doesnt overshadow the rest of the amazing musicians in wilco.

I agree about One Wing, that's very much what I thought when I heard it. Especially having heard Nels live (with Scott Amendola) not long before hearing that song, it struck me that what Nels is doing in Wilco is not necessarily what Nels does best. I'm not sure how the two styles could be more fully integrated, but I agree that just sticking a Nels part into a song doesn't exactly make the best use of his talent.

I realize that the "Nels freakout" moments are not all that Nels is doing in Wilco, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather have less of those, and more of the other.

Yeah totally, bang on on what I think as well. The thing is is he's SUCH a killer guitar player and so much inventive things that I wish he would do more of what Glenn refers to as "serving the song" instead of stealing the show with guitar solos and flourishes all over the place. His slide work on "Sky Blue Sky" (the song) is sooooo tasteful, so that's a good example of what I'd love to hear more of.

Whatever happened to playing Side With The Seeds live? Out of some of the SBS material that I felt fell flat live (Either Way for example) this one totally didn't. But now upon listening to Side With The Seeds and Impossible Germany, One Wing is pretty much just a mesh of the two, a triple guitar attack, a nice verse chorus beginning, and a jazzy voice leading section into a Nels freakout at the end.

So basically upon listening to Summerteeth and YHF the past few days (arguably the two albums with the most studio experimentation) on my new Harman Kardon speakers the new album basically just needs synths and less shred and it will be a success :D.

I think you are going to get your wish. I have heard it several times by John and Jeff that they are going to go crazy with this album, with the layers, effects, the trickery, and with their current line up, it will be so great that the universe will explode.

oh boy, i can't wait! :hyper

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of his stuff on Sky Blue Sky is wonderful, like his parts on You Are My Face and On and On and On, but at other times it feels like Tweedy relied a little too much on having Nels "rip," which doesn't always serve the song. Now it's nowhere near as distracting as some of Jay Bennett's over the top solos from the band's late nineties shows, sometimes those hit and sometimes they missed, but it's still a bit of a let down after Tweedy's own work on A Ghost is Born.

While I agree with some of the original comments in the first post, I fear for my own sanity if I have to read any more posts like it. Not liking Nels Cline is fine, but making a comment like the band would be better off without him and not supporting that statement with any real arguments comes off as troll-like.

--Mike