New Election Thread

are you suggesting that she does little to care for her children that have been born? i haven't seen any evidence of this.

That is exactly what I'm suggestingand the evidence is that her teenage daughter got pregnant while her pro-life mom was ignoring her parental duties being the Governor. Bad career choice for a mom who chose to have so many kids. She obviously bit of more than she can chew.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So she believes that the mother's life is more valuable than the baby's? If that's a human life with full rights, then it's still murder to have an abortion whether or not the mother's life is in danger. Talk about hypocrisy.
i guess it would be akin to self-defense.

Kwall -- I'm actually with ya on this one. I'm a pro-life Obama supporter -- and like the vast majority of those pro-life, I support an exception when the mother's life is in danger. I don't see this as hypocritical. Only one life will survive in this situation, supporting an abortion here, merely decides which one. That choice will always be my wife.

Yeah, she should be at home taking care of the kids like a good housewife! That's a very progressive view.

I'm not at all suggesting that Palin should be a housewife. I'm saying that if she really cared about her kids she would not have taken such a high profile job as Governor. If you have that many kids you need to make sacrifices and sometimes that sacrifice might be your dreams. She's a smart woaman and could have gotten a less demanding job than Governor. A job where she can be home for the lives she chose to have.

I do not think this is terribly important, but for the purpose of throwing another log on the political discussion fire, this just in:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

We are just getting to know the Palin's. I'm starting to love this choice by McCain -- I'm a bit ashamed to say it is extraordinarily entertaining.......I can't wait for SNL. :dribble

Kwall -- I'm actually with ya on this one. I'm a pro-life Obama supporter -- and like the vast majority of those pro-life, I support an exception when the mother's life is in danger. I don't see this as hypocritical. Only one life will survive in this situation, supporting an abortion here, merely decides which one. That choice will always be my wife.

I'm a pro-life Obama supporter too! Nice to see another one out there!

It seems presumptuous to assume that this was a highly reckless decision. First child, maybe. Fifth child and doctor you trust, not so much.

No one presumed it was "highly reckless." People have been debating whether or not it was reckless, and if so, how that effects our perception of her judgment. That "doctor she trusts" was not on that 8 hour flight. She has been quoted as saying she took the flight to ensure her child was "Alaskan born." It appears she endangered her child for political reasons. Her judgment is in question in my book.

I'm a pro-life Obama supporter too! Nice to see another one out there!

Haha -- yeah, we're probably a rare demographic. We should start a group that doesn't vote soley based on their abortion beliefs (whether pro-choice or pro-life).

What gets me is that typically (and I am being general), conservatives have pushed a no sex ed/no birth control (ie abstinence) agenda -- and this is too often the result.

Also, after getting this picture in an email from a friend, my liberal husband is now saying he's voting for McCain/Palin

palin.jpg

No one presumed it was "highly reckless." People have been debating whether or not it was reckless, and if so, how that effects our perception of her judgment. That "doctor she trusts" was not on that 8 hour flight. She has been quoted as saying she took the flight to ensure her child was "Alaskan born." It appears she endangered her child for political reasons. Her judgment is in question in my book.

Actually, it doesn't appear she endangered anything for political reasons. Being from Alaska, it seems like that was important to her. She probably also felt really comfortable with her doctor (I know my wife and countless other friends who wanted to make sure they had their doctor instead of a sub). She consulted with her doctor and the doctor concluded it was safe for them to travel. And, guess what, it was. She made it to the hospital and gave birth without any complications.

Unless you know her medical history and the details of that pregnancy, I don't think anyone can claim it was reckless, and the fact that everything ended up perfect proves that it wasn't.

Once again, just to be clear, we are debating the circumstances under which Palin gave birth in evaluating her qualification to be VP? Wow...just...wow.

Like Obama, there is not much of a track record of governance, though she at least was the chief executive of something. Given that lack, what else can we judge on? Term papers? Basketball stats?

Her 17-year old daughter is pregnant.

This is a really ridiculous and unflattering argument that you're trying to make. You honestly think that a pregnant teenager is ironclad proof that a parent is overburdened/unequipped to parent the number of children they have? There are SOOOO many reasons, in my opinion, that Palin would not be a good VP/P. That she has 5 children isn't on the radar at all. How many kids did/do the various Kennedys had/have? How many children does Orrin Hatch have? Has anyone suggested that they have too many children to govern?

What gets me is that typically (and I am being general), conservatives have pushed a no sex ed/no birth control (ie abstinence) agenda -- and this is too often the result.

Precisely. It is completely unrealistic to expect teenagers not to screw.

Once again, just to be clear, we are debating the circumstances under which Palin gave birth in evaluating her qualification to be VP? Wow...just...wow.

Yeah, we are. They were extreme circumstances that say a lot about her judgment. Her judgment is highly relevant; maybe the most important thing to evaluate for someone so close to the presidency. Below, and other posts, have elaborated as to why this is a valid discussion point.

Most of the debate has concentrated on what potentially reckless decisions she made before and while giving birth say about her judgment. Few, if anyone, is saying she isn't qualified for that one reason -- but that judgment is certainly one of many important elements in debating her qualifications.
Ah, any parent whose child becomes pregnant out of wedlock is a failure and hopelessly overburdened. Gotcha.

NO. I'm saying that Palin (not any parent) cares more about her career than being a parent. What do you think Palin has been doing for the past three years? From beauty queen> mayor> Governor> Vice Pres Candidate. Do you think she moved that quick up the latter by going to girl scout meetings and volunteering at the high school?

Looks like she turned her back on her kids to focus on her career - Just Sayin'

I'm not at all suggesting that Palin should be a housewife. I'm saying that if she really cared about her kids she would not have taken such a high profile job as Governor. If you have that many kids you need to make sacrifices and sometimes that sacrifice might be your dreams. She's a smart woaman and could have gotten a less demanding job than Governor. A job where she can be home for the lives she chose to have.

I can