New Election Thread

Yeah, unfortunately, in this country, intelligence takes a back seat to feigned humility. Gore did sigh fairly often throughout the debates - but can you really blame him? Bush, as he did against Kerry, came across as a complete and total moron. Go back and watch the debates, it was sort of what you think it might be like to watch a second grader debate a college professor- embarrassing. And, unfortunately, as would probably happen if a 2nd grader did debate a college professor, the professor would probably lose because his or her opponent was just so, I don
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

louieb, try to look past that stuff in your friend, especially because there is always this sort of hope: i consider myself somewhere in the big gray area left of today's democrat, and my best friend of 18 years was a right-winger. we had maybe ten political discussions in all those years, and they changed nothing and only hurt (although she did always try to be patient when we'd get in my car, the radio would announce something stupid the bush administration had said or done, and i'd yell "those fucking idiots!"). well, last february she left her right-winger husband of twenty years, and now (with no prompting from me) she is a democrat and voting for obama. her husband is more pissed off about that than about her leaving him.

my friend has made new friends who are democrats, and i'm sworn to secrecy about her past political views. i try to help her out by giving her little things like a tin of mints called "Embarrassmints" with a picture of W and the white house on the cover.

How many pro-lifers are stepping up and adopting kids living in horrible state funded facilites, or are in the foster care programs? How many kids have you helped? Child abuse programs? Domestic violence programs? Single mother groups? After school programs for single parents?

Abortion is not a valid form of birth control, but sometimes it is the best choice. Research for 5 minutes what happens in countries where abortion is ilegal. Mom and baby die. Better choice I guess.

Couldn't agree more. Conservatives have never met a fetus they didn't love and a poor kid they cared about.

We'll see.

I know some people who belong to one of those so-called mega-churches, and, who happen to be Republicans. I am curious to see what they have to say about this deal.

I think generally most people, dem or rep, have sympathy for a teenager mother or a parent of said teenage mother. I don't see it being a big deal in a few days.

FWIW, I cut ties with all my friends who liked Titanic.

:lol i would absolutely do that, except no one i know has admitted to liking it ever since i expressed my scorn.

I wonder how the religious right faction of the Republican party is going to deal with the out of wedlock pregnancy of their VP's daughter.

The same way they've dealt with a VP who has a lesbian daughter.

I think generally most people, dem or rep, have sympathy for a teenager mother or a parent of said teenage mother. I don't see it being a big deal in a few days.

I think it has less to do with sympathy/empathy and more to do with supporting someone whom, seemingly, is talking out of both sides of her mouth. And more so, supporting a Presidential candidate who would take such a risk in bringing her aboard. It just doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put in by McCain and his group to think it (the nod for Palin) through very well.

This isn't to say whether or not she'd be a good VP (regardless of what I think) but that it was perhaps a hasty, risky, and ultimately poor choice to choose a running mate with issues that will spark dissent in their own party.

I definitely think it's possible that Biden could come across as a bully, but I at least hope that the last 8 years have taught people that knowledge and competence should trump likability. We'll see.

As I said before, I really don't care about Palin's family. Her views are abhorrent enough to me that I know that I don't want her as my VP, so her family situation is pretty irrelevent.

Am I the only one who finds it shocking and like, very fucking disturbing that a young earth creationist has the potential to be one heart beat away from becoming the next president of the United States? The implications of that view and the amount of scientific discovery and progress that has to be set aside to even hold that view is nothing short of staggering. I suspect Palin

I definitely think it's possible that Biden could come across as a bully, but I at least hope that the last 8 years have taught people that knowledge and competence should trump likability. We'll see.

I still maintain that Obama/Biden will steer very clear of this. Why would they need to intervene in an already sinking ship?

Am I having deja vu or did tree hugger already post that a few days ago? Like almost word for word?

Hmm, a quick search says no. Fuck. Deja vu, I guess.

Well, I am a believer in recycling, so....

Here it is.

Members of 'Fringe' Alaskan Independence Party Say Palin Was a Member in 90s

September 01, 2008 6:52 PM

The campaign of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., likes to herald the independence of its new running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Officials of the Alaskan Independence Party say that Palin was once so independent, she was once a member of their party, which, since the 1970s, has been pushing for a legal vote for Alaskans to decide whether or not residents of the 49th state can secede from the United States.

And while McCain's motto -- as seen in a new TV ad -- is "Country First," the AIP's motto is the exact opposite -- "Alaska First -- Alaska Always."

Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, tells ABC News that Palin and her husband Todd were members in 1994, even attending the 1994 statewide convention in Wasilla. Clark was AIP secretary at the time.

"We are a state's rights party," says Clark, a self-employed goldminer. The AIP has "a plank that challenges the legality of the Alaskan statehood vote as illegal and in violation of United Nations charter and international law."

She says it's not accurate to describe the party as secessionist -- they just want a vote, she says, adding that the members of the AIP hold different opinions on what Alaska should be.

"My own separate opinion as an individual is that we should be an independent nation," Clark says. Others in the AIP "believe that being a commonwealth would be a good avenue to follow." Some advocate statehood -- but a fuller statehood than exists now.

She doesn't know what Palin's position was.

"It never came up in conversation," Clark recalls. "But when she joined the party, our platform was right under her nose."

Clark says that Palin left the party and became a Republican in 1996, when she first ran for mayor of Wasilla.

The McCain-Palin campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The AIP platform states that the purpose of the party is to "seek the complete repatriation of the public lands, held by the federal government, to the state and people of Alaska in conformance with Article 1, Section 8, Clause 17, of the federal constitution ... To prohibit all bureaucratic regulations and judicial rulings purporting to have the effect of law, except that which shall be approved by the elected legislature ... To support the privatization of government services ...