New Election Thread

Are people allowed to think you have a tendency to be unnecessarily mean about it, then?

My fucking avatar is fucking broken. I need to find another site that hosts the fucking FIU helmet like the one before. Got to fucking represent for my fucking school.

Sure, but only insofar as it is mean to criticize anything else we all choose to criticize all day on this board, pretty much 365 days a year.

This struck me as unnecessarily mean:

Fucking yawn, dude.

So, I guess mean is subjective.

Now, fucking google-image your teams fucking logo and fix that shit already, for fuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course not. but many republicans give obama zero credit for NOT attacking with dirt, both during the primaries and now, when he could have done so hundreds of times and over countless issues. he has done way more to keep it clean and not hit below the belt than i've seen in many years. that's some meaningful (to me) change right there, and he's not even in office. yet.

:yes

No but they go about it with a special zeal that democrats can not (or maybe will not) emulate. Imagine if the reaction if Chelsea Clinton had been preggers at 17? Amy Carter? heck both of those girls were trash3ed incessantly by the right. Imagine the outcry if the democrats went after McCains military service the way the Bushies went after Kerry's? The reasoning back then was that Kerry had made that the centerpiece of his campaign, heck the way I see it that is the center piece of McCains campaign. Imagine the outcry if the democrats attacked McCain the way bush did in 2000? Right now the right refuses to acknowledge that maybe Obama is doing a much better job of staying abouve the shit than has occurred in many recent campaigns? They won't acknowledge it because that is how they roll.

:yes

Politicians tend to not get their hands dirty, especially when they've got millions of people who will eagerly do it for them.

Republicans don't need millions -- Rove designs the Swiftboating tactic and delegates to PACs technically separate from the campaign. :ninjatorch

Either everyone who believes in god is batshit insane, or nobody is. There really isn't any room for a middle ground here.

Middle ground: Science plus spirituality. Not believing in evolution isn't insane to me, its just stupid. Not everything is black and white like Bush would like us to believe.

Some turn violent in march to GOP convention

By AMY FORLITI, Associated Press Writer 59 minutes ago

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Demonstrations near the Republican National Convention site turned violent Monday, as protesters harassed some delegates, smashed windows, slashed car tires and threw bottles. Police using pepper spray arrested more than 50 people.

The trouble happened not far from the Xcel Energy Center convention site where the GOP was starting its four-day meeting. And many of those involved in the more violent activities identified themselves to reporters as anarchists. These protesters, clad in black, were operating on the streets in addition to a mostly peaceful anti-war march, wreaking havoc by damaging property and setting at least one fire. Most of the trouble was in pocket of a neighborhood near downtown, several blocks from where the convention was taking place.

Police estimates of the crowd shifted several times during the event, ranging from 2,000 to 10,000. The crowd was clearly in the thousands. Late Monday afternoon, long after the antiwar marchers had dispersed, police requested and got 150 Minnesota National Guard soldiers to help control splinter groups near downtown.

Members of the Connecticut delegation said they were attacked by protesters when they got off their bus near the Xcel Center, KMSP-TV reported. Delegate Rob Simmons told the station that a group of protesters came toward his delegation and tried to rip the credentials off their necks and sprayed them with a toxic substance that burned their eyes and stained their clothes.

One 80-year-old member of the delegation had to be treated for injuries, and several other delegates had to rinse their eyes and clothing, the station reported.

Five people were arrested for lighting a trash bin on fire and pushing it into a police car, St. Paul police spokesman Tom Walsh said. Authorities didn't have immediate details on the other arrests.

The antiwar march was organized by a group called the Coalition to March on the RNC and Stop the War, whose leaders said they hoped for a peaceful, family-friendly event. But police were on high alert after months of preparations by a self-described anarchist group called the RNC Welcoming Committee, which wasn't among the organizers of the march.

About 20 people dressed in black tried to block a key intersection. Police quickly dispersed the group, then shot two tear gas canisters at them as the fled.

Pictures taken by Associated Press photographers showed officers using pepper spray on people who appeared to be trying to block streets.

Up to 200 people from a group called Funk the War noisily staged their own march. Wearing black clothes, bandanas and gas masks, some of their members smashed windows of cars and stores. They tipped over newspaper boxes, pulled a big trash bin into the street, bent the rearview mirrors on a bus and flipped heavy stone garbage bins on the sidewalks.

One member of the group carried a yellow flag with the motto "Don't Tread on Me." The group chanted: "Whose streets? Our streets!"

At one point, people pushed a trash bin filled with trash and threw garbage in the streets and at cars. They also took down orange detour road signs. One of them used a screwdriver to puncture the back tire of a limousine waiting at an intersection and threw a wooden board at the vehicle, denting its side. Another hurled a glass bottle at a charter bus that had stopped at an intersection. The bottle smashed into pieces but didn't appear to damage the bus.

After the official march ended, police spent hours dispersing smaller groups of protesters, employing officers on horses, smoke bombs and tear gas.

Protesters put eye drops in each other's eyes after police used chemical irritants such as pepper spray and tear gas. Some wore bandanas and masks to protect themselves.

Protesters were seen lying on an interstate exit ramp to block traffic in downtown St. Paul and linking arms to block other roads.

Terry Butts, a former Alabama Supreme Court justice who is a convention delegate, was on a bus taking delegates to the arena when a brick through the window sprayed glass on him and two others. Butts said he wasn't hurt.

"It just left us a little shaken," he said. "It was sort of a frightening moment because it could have been a bomb or a Molotov cocktail."

Politicians tend to not get their hands dirty, especially when they've got millions of people who will eagerly do it for them.

Don't pawn his non-reactionary and non-judgmental response off as not wanting to get his hands dirty. He responded to reporters' comments in a fair and diplomatic manner. That's all. Good for him for not jumping on the shit-train. Isn't this what people collectively plea for from both sides? Now we see it and we criticize it? Come on.

Either everyone who believes in god is batshit insane, or nobody is. There really isn't any room for a middle ground here.

No, but yes, in my opinion, creationists, especially young earth creationists hold some beliefs that are batshit insane - and if those beliefs were not wrapped in the shroud of religion, I doubt many people would feel especially impolite or mean pointing the batshit parts out.

Edit - example - when the following carcass was found, some creationists claimed it was a plesiosaur-like creature - turns out it was just a basking shark.

From wikipedia:

Zuiyo_Maru.jpg

Photo caption - Carcass found by the Zuiyo Maru, said to be a plesiosaur-like creature by some creationists; scientists who have studied it concluded that the remains belong to a basking shark.

Verdict - batshit insane.

Don't pawn his non-reactionary and non-judgmental response off as not wanting to get his hands dirty. He responded to reporters' comments in a fair and diplomatic manner. That's all. Good for him for not jumping on the shit-train. Isn't this what people collectively plea for from both sides? Now we see it and we criticize it? Come on.

I'm speaking in generalities. You don't really see much direct attacking coming from McCain, but it's out there, and nobody questions the sources.

I'm speaking in generalities. You don't really see much direct attacking coming from McCain, but it's out there, and nobody questions the sources.

Grounds for attack from the McCain side being...?

Regardless, McCain helped create this mess and his opponent chooses to give respect to him by not furthering it, and in fact giving both he and his running mate some space.

I watched only a few minutes of the convention today -- a couple of observations:

1. Laura Bush reminds me of a Stepford Wife

2. I looked for a non-white face, but didn't see one. I'll keep looking.

Could all of you please try acting your ages and retire the tiresome and gratuitous use of "fucking". Not funny or emphatic, just coarse and inappropriate on an all-ages board. Also, try disagreeing without resorting to personal attacks. It's childish.

Don't make me turn this car around.

I watched only a few minutes of the convention today -- a couple of observations:

1. Laura Bush reminds me of a Stepford Wife

2. I looked for a non-white face, but didn't see one. I'll keep looking.

1. Isn't she?

2. Ooo, I know. Didn't John McCain father a black child out of wedlock? Maybe she is there?!

Could all of you please try acting your ages and retire the tiresome and gratuitous use of "fucking". Not funny or emphatic, just coarse and inappropriate on an all-ages board. Also, try disagreeing without resorting to personal attacks. It's childish.

"all of you"

Besides, I thought there already was a fucking thread....

$176 Million is a piss in the bucket when considering government programs. Just saying.

It's a big waste with religious roots. Sex education works better than saying wait till marriage kids.Some people don't want to marry. Some people are told they can't marry. Some people like to bone...

Besides, teen pregnancy is the fault of liberal media supporting movies like Juno and keeping a decent light on Brit's little sis Jamie Lynn. At least that's what Fox news said.

Back when GW was first in office, I used to like Laura. I thought she seemed like a genuinely nice lady. For the past couple of years, she's really aged and it seems like her smiles are forced and fake. I agree with the stepford thing...

I am totally with you and this has been annoying me too. But in fairness to Bob"F'ing"Bob1313 -- he lists his age as 20........so I guess he kinda is "acting his age"........