New Election Thread

WTF? I was just looking at the tv guide for tonight, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC all have the RNC on tap for tonight. SOme more than others, however FOX has nothing scheduled while Fox News has what appears to be their regular scheduled programs. I'm sure ORieley and Hannnity will focus on the protestors arrested and they are probably broadcasting from up there, but still whay don't they want to show their preferred party's convention? My Guess is that they don't twant their viewers to see it as it is, but would rather they see it through the dizzying spin only Fox can provide.

FOX news did the same thing for the DNC. Their regular scheduled programs will run the RNC and give commentary throughout. At least that

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's as much as I take from it. There is no way in my mind that a group advances its cause by destroying random people's private property. As far as I'm concerned, the protestors broke shit because they felt like breaking shit.

I agree, and since I think that the messages will tend to be diluted and overlooked, the behavior is somewhat self-defeating.

I figure the only real way to watch it without any slant would be from the live feed I get on some HD channel.(Which I really liked during the DNC!) That truly has no commentary and no commercials. Anything else WILL have a network slant.

That was not my point at all.

maybe not intentionally, but (as by now you've had plenty of time to bring up an associated press recount of the incidents or actually read my earlier post where i called it out) it was done by an organized group of self-professed anarchists. so, really, their point you seem to be backing really was about breaking shit for no apparent reason other than creating disorder and confusion.

as far as the katrina thing goes, and lord knows they really did botch the reaction as a whole last time, sure seems to me to be a damned if you and damned if you don't react to it in the context of your convention.

My Guess is that they don't twant their viewers to see it as it is, but would rather they see it through the dizzying spin only Fox can provide.

my impression of how john smith sees it...

erwache.jpg

Open your eyes to the truth man, can't you see the truth!

When I watch convention coverage on C-SPAN for any length of time, switching to any other station makes me want to puke.

QFT

I look forward to watching the RNC tonight.

Celebrity Boxing: The Simpsons vs. The Founding Fathers

A survey found that only twenty-five percent of Americans can name more than one of the 5 rights named in the 1st Amendment. Twenty percent of those polled actually thought the right to own a pet was protected. Yet more than half of these adults could name at least two characters from The Simpsons, a popular television cartoon. (By the way, the First Amendment protects the freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly, and petition for redress of grievances.)

I found this on a republican site BTY.

When I watch convention coverage on C-SPAN for any length of time, switching to any other station makes me want to puke.

no kidding. Listening to the talking heads seems pointless and condescending after hearing it straight. "Here, let me tell you how to understand what you just heard." :rolleyes

I don't recall George Washington kicking over random peoples horses or slashing their wagon tires.

Perhaps they leave that out of 5th grade civics to prevent the pupils from learning that these methods have their time and place. They do so because they can't afford new tires.

have you ever had a cup of gene simmons's coffee, my man? it's so mind-altering it'll even make you think busting up a macy's look like signing the declaration of independence.

Is that the stuff they sell in those KISS coffee shops? I almost went into one once, just because I never thought coffee and KISS could have ever existed together in a single establishment. I ended up not doing so because I was around my parents.

erwache.jpg

That's not how I see it at all. The way I see it is Fox wants all news to be opinion and they want to shape the opinions of their viewers, they don't want their viewers to see or hear anything that has not been spun or is not being spun. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, that is how they appear to me and to far more people than you realise.

Who was the guy who said that the goal is to make all news opinion? Sure makes it easier to lead people down a chosen path whhen you present opinion as fact. It may or may not have been a Fox guy, but it is out there. That is definately the way news is presented, with Fox being the most extreme. It's why I get my news from papers, or the BBC. For Papers I read the Tribune, USA today, the WAPO, NY Times and occasionally the WSJ...but that one is getting harder and harder to read each day. US network news is undigestable, I can't watch Fox for more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time and the other networks barely 5 minutes or so.

By the way, where are the godwins law bitches today? Or do you get the free pass for yoru nazi references?

I don't want to defend raging anarchists or whatever, but strictly speaking of tactics, I am Jack's isn't so far off. Tea is personal property, no? Tarring and feathering ain't too fun, eh?

Well, those things are at least tangentially related to the government they were protesting. Flipping Doug's Camry isn't quite the same thing.