New Election Thread

My beef with Fox is that journalists are supposed to criticize and scrutinize the power-that-is, and they spend their time criticizing and scrutinizing challengers to the power-that-is. Not that that is not warranted, but the power-that-is should get the majority of scrutiny.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What it comes down to concerning the RNC protesting is that anyone who abuses the First Amendment is an ass, peaceful protesting is legal and should be protected. The others should be thrown in jail and pay for the damages caused.

I there really anyone who thinks Fox is actually fair and balanced? Yeah, that's the problem. News from only one source=a very sad person. It works both ways though.Everyone should read many news sources, cause TV is entertainment. They gotta spin it fast and fun to keep the short American attention span of 2008.

WTF? I was just looking at the tv guide for tonight, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, MSNBC all have the RNC on tap for tonight. SOme more than others, however FOX has nothing scheduled while Fox News has what appears to be their regular scheduled programs. I'm sure ORieley and Hannnity will focus on the protestors arrested and they are probably broadcasting from up there, but still whay don't they want to show their preferred party's convention? My Guess is that they don't twant their viewers to see it as it is, but would rather they see it through the dizzying spin only Fox can provide.

that's six left-leaning broadcasts versus one right-leaning broadcast. how exactly is fnc preventing viewers from seeing these other channels?

i don't think the regular fox network has a news outfit. is the wb covering the convention?

My beef with Fox is that journalists are supposed to criticize and scrutinize the power-that-is, and they spend their time criticizing and scrutinizing challengers to the power-that-is. Not that that is not warranted, but the power-that-is should get the majority of scrutiny.

I thought journalists were supposed to objectively report the facts so that the reader/listener/viewer can make up his/her own opinion that the power-that-is should be criticized or supported based on said reader's/listener's/viewer's informed viewpoint.

And before anyone accuses me of being an apologist for FNC, they suck big time.

:rotfl so, now you're comparing these twits to our founding fathers and early settlers? truly, there is no length you won't go to in defending a point you've made. that's awesome.

I was attempting, in my original post regarding the protestors or protests in general, to speak to a larger point, but, as so often happens on this board, when you try to do so, it gets twisted entirely around.

I

I thought journalists were supposed to objectively report the facts so that the reader/listener/viewer can make up his/her own opinion that the power-that-is should be criticized or supported based on said reader's/listener's/viewer's informed viewpoint.

And before anyone accuses me of being an apologist for FNC, they suck big time.

No. That actually was ended at some point in the 1950s when journalists decided that the world was too complex for people to sort out on their own without our help.

i'm only going by what i heard on the radio this morning, but just exactly how 'peaceful' was said protest? sounds like there was a lot of damage to public property involved.

as someone who was over there yesterday... granted across the river for a labor day concert (w/ Billy Bragg, Steve Earle, Tom Morello, Atmosphere, Mos Def, & The Pharcyce :dancing), less than 2% of the 10,000 protestors turned violent, despite the 258 arrests... probably 100+ of those were just folks who followed the wrong group that turned left against police orders instead of going straight on the pre-approved protest path

even those who did turn violent, besides a few smashed windows, it wasn't that crazy honestly... the police were being a bit overzealous at times, making tensions higher, but overall the main protestors were more than peaceful.

Is Bristol Palin's fiance an Obama operative?

many of the freedoms we now take for granted came about through direct protest, often times, ugly, destructive protest.

agreed, you just happen to pick a really bad example to tie that point to. 'is this the case with the RNC protestors anarchists?' plenty to read about how they differ from those who were actually involved in the organized war protest to pretty well know for sure how warranted this was.

if we're all copesetic about everybody's right for a pecaeful assembly w/out fear of one's safety...that has to work both ways. i'm not one to back anything being discussed at the RNC, but they have a right to organize discuss it as much as anybody else.

even those who did turn violent, besides a few smashed windows, it wasn't that crazy honestly... the police were being a bit overzealous at times, making tensions higher, but overall the main protestors were more than peaceful.

yeah, i'm trying to make sure i seperate the two. i have no problem whatsoever w/ the actual protest...just morons who sully the overall thing for everybody else. say what you want relative to their actual violence, but their overzealousness is just a responsible, if not more, for any tension. it also overshadows the press coverage of the legitimate issues being protested.

I feel sorry for Bristol Palin. I think it was a poor choice for her mom to entertain this VP idea when Bristol, her baby, and her family would end up in the media at such a time. Not a good time. I hope she manages to keep her life fairly free from this mess, stays healthy, and happy. It worked for Jamie Lynn Spears.

yeah, i'm trying to make sure i seperate the two. i have no problem whatsoever w/ the actual protest...just morons who sully the overall thing for everybody else. say what you want relative to their actual violence, but their overzealousness is just a responsible, if not more, for any tension. it also overshadows the press coverage of the legitimate issues being protested.

I agree. Looking forward to how this will be spinned tonight.

'godwins law bitches'?

There is invariably someone who chimes in withing a coupel of minutes whenever a nazi reference is made.

that's six left-leaning broadcasts versus one right-leaning broadcast. how exactly is fnc preventing viewers from seeing these other channels?

i don't think the regular fox network has a news outfit. is the wb covering the convention?

Six left leaning broadcasts vs one right leaning? CBS left leaning? Sure ok you get that one. Maybe MSNBC? Take away Olbermann and are they still what you think they are? ABC owned by Disney is left leaning? NBC with Brian Williams left Leaning? Fox right leaning? Fox makes no bones about it, there is no lean to them. They are firmly far right and make no bones about it, yet somehow you see them as left leaning? Very interesting. SImply reporting news that is not favorable to Bush does not make a news enterprise left leaning or liberal, sometimes, that is exactly what the news is.

How would Fox have reported the Bush campaing orchestrated Yuppie Voter riot in 2000 had it been Gore's people who were acting up for the camera's? When the other networks finally, long after the fact, began reporting it for what it was did that make them liberal for reporting it?

I feel sorry for Bristol Palin.

Agreed. She's got punchline-for-life written all over her now. This has to be a tough time for her anyway, but to have to go through it in the spotlight of the national media? To potentially be blamed by half the country, if McCain/Palin loses the election? Way too much pressure for a 17-year-old to have to deal with.

Agreed. She's got punchline-for-life written all over her now. This has to be a tough time for her anyway, but to have to go through it in the spotlight of the national media? To potentially be blamed thanked by more than half the country, if McCain/Palin loses the election? Way too much pressure for a 17-year-old to have to deal with.

;)

Agreed. She's got punchline-for-life written all over her now. This has to be a tough time for her anyway, but to have to go through it in the spotlight of the national media? To potentially be blamed by half the country, if McCain/Palin loses the election? Way too much pressure for a 17-year-old to have to deal with.

Seeing that America isn't high on the republicans because of our sweet current administration, I almost think the republicans were looking for a way to lose this with someone else to blame. Poor kid.

Well, those things are at least tangentially related to the government they were protesting. Flipping Doug's Camry isn't quite the same thing.

Maybe it was King Doug III Camry.

that's six left-leaning broadcasts versus one right-leaning broadcast.

you labeled the right-leaning broadcast correctly. but the others, left-leaning? give me a break. considering how much every single one of them whitewashes or, more important, omits about the bush administration's shenanigans and those of others associated with them, "left-leaning" is a major stretch. in fact it's laughable to those of us who actually are left-leaning. those mainstream networks are centrists at best, with no substance, most of them bowing to the wishes of the few corporations that own them, who happen to be bigtime backers of right-wingers and are absolutely dedicated to spin and omission.