New Election Thread

The minute I saw this on Olbermann I knew that every Republican without a sense of humor would be all over this. This is bad but when the preacher says Katrina was a payback for all the homosexuals, that makes sense.

Sorry. I was way off base. It's hilarious to reduce impending natural disasters to their effects on an election. Some people may have to lose their homes or lives, but at least God is ensuring a Democrat wins the election.

Ikol since the economic downturn is not hutring you do you think you could send me some money in Jan. or Feb. I'm going to need some help paying the bills. My wife and I are both educated but we graduated during the Bush administration. We entered college during the Clinton administration with promises of butterflies and daffodil fields. Well my wife and I still live paycheck to paycheck.

Nice little assumption about my financial status you make there. I'm actually in a situation pretty close to yours, minus the wife and paychecks.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty obvious Moore was joking. Still, in my opinion, it was an unfunny joke in very poor taste. In context of impending large-scale disaster, such light-hearted comments just come across as inappropriate and callous. (Plus, the forum counts for something--what might be funny when said privately among friends isn't always funny when said on national television.)

Discussing Michael Moore is about as appealing to me as waking up with my head sewn to the floor. He's as polarizing as abortion, and not a politician, so an extended convo about him seems pointless and off-topic. I was hoping to get some of your input about the below post. I'm genuinely curious how this will play out....

One would hope. Obviously, the safety of Gulf residents is the first, and only serious concern. But since this is a thread about the ensuing election, it also interests me how this storm will affect that election. At first blush it would appear the timing couldn't be worse for Republicans -- taking media attention away from the convention, and reminding voters of a major Republican failure of the last 4 years in Katrina.

But now, Bush may not speak at the convention as planned -- in order to take some bullshit photos to pretend he really does care (this time) about minority hurricane victims who didn't vote form him. Dem's biggest attack is 'a vote for McCain is a vote for 4 more years of Bush policies -- McCain voted with Bush 90% of the time.....'. I was most interested to see how Bush's presence at the Rep. convention would play out -- the only reason McCain sold his soul and disingenuously embraced Bush was to get the far-right conservative vote who don't trust him AND for fundraising. If I were Obama's campaign manager, I would be cringing at the thought of the least popular president since the inception of modern polling, absent at my opponent's convention.

Ironically, this hurricane could politically benefit Republicans. Perfect excuse to pretend W doesn't exist.

it's fricking hilarious, but not because it was a good joke. i'm laughing because i love to see the libs continuing this notion that god is a democrat and that he has blessed us with obama. awesome.

Yeah, that

i guess your point here is that it's just as ridiculous when republicans do it. agreed.

the point is screw MM but the Republicans have done this shit for years and about 1000 more times than the Dems but somehow when a Dem does it you post some crap right wing site and we all hear about it. BOO HOO!!

Well, whoever is shopping the who's yer mamma story had better have more than photos of alleged baby bumps, or lack thereof. If not, it's fringe nonsense and a classic overreach that will only make Palin a sympathetic figure. Especially if it involves a girl of 17.

There are enough legitimate arguments against Palin's candidacy that I couldn't care less if those highly unlikely rumors are true or not. Even if they are true (which again I highly doubt), it wouldn't disqualify her any more than her utter lack of knowledge about national and foreign policy issues already does.

Oh man - if it turned out to be true, that would be the end of Palin and McCain's political life. Too big, too weird a lie.

It seems to me that God has answered Rev. James Dobson's prayer for torrential rain during Obama's speech. Only God got around to answering it a week late and he's just a few miles off.

God's just trying to remind America what a great president we've had for almost eight years. It's his way of saying "heck of a job Brownie" - Opps, I mean "heck of a job Georgie". God works in mysterious ways.

Well, whoever is shopping the who's yer mamma story had better have more than photos of alleged baby bumps, or lack thereof. If not, it's fringe nonsense and a classic overreach that will only make Palin a sympathetic figure. Especially if it involves a girl of 17.

Yeah, kind of a low blow. If she turns out to have lied about a child that will effect her credibility, but anyone who touches this stuff publicly is going to look like a real jerk. Obama won't touch this with a 10 ft pole.

the point is screw MM but the Republicans have done this shit for years and about 1000 more times than the Dems but somehow when a Dem does it you post some crap right wing site and we all hear about it. BOO HOO!!

i didn't post it. i just responded to it. just as you did.

Re: Palin. I don't know what is worse, the rumors or the truth. She either is reckless enough with her child's life to be on a 8 hour plane trip to texas AFTER her water breaks (who knows, maybe she wasn't worried about the baby's health because she already new the poor child was not going to be perfect) or she lied about being pregnant to protect her daughter. Either way and for a lot of other reasons I don't think it makes her a very good choice for McCain.

There are enough legitimate arguments against Palin's candidacy that I couldn't care less if those highly unlikely rumors are true or not. Even if they are true (which again I highly doubt), it wouldn't disqualify her any more than her utter lack of knowledge about national and foreign policy issues already does.

I agree this story is likely untrue and operates on the lowest common denomonator. If it were true, it would say more about McCain's judgment in rushing the vetting process (and the fact that he only met her once), and Palin's judgment in accepting the nomination with this hanging over her head (arguably, if she did hide this, its an admirable thing she did for her daughter). But I agree that this highly unlikely story will more likely benefit Republicans than hurt -- and I feel horrible for that 17 year-old girl.

This bothers me expeonentially more about Palin: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...ared-to-cheney/

"Shortly before being named John McCain's running mate, Palin told the conservative magazine Newsmax she does not believe climate change is man-made — a statement that puts her at odds with the preumptive GOP nominee and the 2008 Republican platform."

Frightening and insulting. Even McCain with his horrendous voting record on environmental issues knows that, and has said as much.

Sounds like peace of mind was worth a lot more than any payment. One great dad beats two lousy parents any day, which is what so many kids have to contend with.

Hixter I have a never ending suppy of respect for you. One great dad does beat 2 lousy rents anyday! However, single women do this daily with very little respect from this country. I am so excited Obama's life, being raised by a single mother, has shown what a devoted parent can do. Men however, still do not get the respect either. The religious BS has tainted the single parent experience and it sucks. It should not be considered a "condition"....it'a a honorable choice. So is abortion though.

To that I raise my beer :cheers

Oh man - if it turned out to be true, that would be the end of Palin and McCain's political life. Too big, too weird a lie.

I think it will be turned around to their weird benefit. Saving a young girl from abortion...

God's just trying to remind America what a great president we've had for almost eight years. It's his way of saying "heck of a job Brownie" - Opps, I mean "heck of a job Georgie". God works in mysterious ways.

I just spit my drink on my screen..thanks! :thumbup

Re: Palin. I don't know what is worse, the rumors or the truth. She either is reckless enough with her child's life to be on a 8 hour plane trip to texas AFTER her water breaks (who knows, maybe she wasn't worried about the baby's health because she already new the poor child was not going to be perfect) or she lied about being pregnant to protect her daughter. Either way and for a lot of other reasons I don't think it makes her a very good choice for McCain.

RIGHT!

Palin doesn't like polar bears

polar_bears_await_decision.jpg

WTF!

I think we can put this silly shit to bed...

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/31/23...516/1017/581734

Not that it matters if a VP canidate lies..but this is a pretty good point, or @ least something to think about-

If that were the "whole basis," but it was not. The basis also includes her very bizarre behavior while supposedly in labor, the fact that eyewitnesses who saw her the supposed day before she gave birth said she did not look pregnant (or they would not have let her fly), and the fact that she pulled her daughter out of school for several months, apparently longer than even a bad case of mono, and her decision not to tell even coworkers she was pregnant until the 7th month. The pictures were only supportive; the other evidence is far more convincing. And as I said, if I wanted to convince people I was pregnant and were appearing on statewide television and KNEW there were already rumors circulating that the child was not mine, I'd make damn sure I looked pregnant.

Finally, there's also the very odd fact that after being in labor many many hours, rather than give birth to a premature infant with Down's syndrome at a facility equipped to handle it, she drives 45 miles away to a small rinky dink hospital where a woman known to have supported her Wasilla mayoral campaign and received political appointments delivered the baby.

Not that it matters if a VP canidate lies..but this is a pretty good point, or @ least something to think about-

If that were the "whole basis," but it was not. The basis also includes her very bizarre behavior while supposedly in labor, the fact that eyewitnesses who saw her the supposed day before she gave birth said she did not look pregnant (or they would not have let her fly), and the fact that she pulled her daughter out of school for several months, apparently longer than even a bad case of mono, and her decision not to tell even coworkers she was pregnant until the 7th month. The pictures were only supportive; the other evidence is far more convincing. And as I said, if I wanted to convince people I was pregnant and were appearing on statewide television and KNEW there were already rumors circulating that the child was not mine, I'd make damn sure I looked pregnant.

Finally, there's also the very odd fact that after being in labor many many hours, rather than give birth to a premature infant with Down's syndrome at a facility equipped to handle it, she drives 45 miles away to a small rinky dink hospital where a woman known to have supported her Wasilla mayoral campaign and received political appointments delivered the baby.

This just in. GOP Vice-Presidential candidate and gun-toting NRA member Sarah Palin can be seen on the Zapruder film firing shots from the grassy knoll on Nov. 22, 1963 -- Dallas, TX. :throwup