• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about something last night. I have posted here before that I had a great deal of respect for McCain and would have been happy with him as President (though I'm an Obama supporter) up until a few months ago. I thought McCain was a GOP candidate that would move us away from the so-called culture wars. Unfortunately this man of "character" sold out to get elected. These culture wars have created deep division in this country ... why? I lived and worked in Colorado Springs for about a year (moved out in February). As you may know, Colorado Springs is home to the New Life Church (of Ted Haggard fame) and Focus on the Family (of James Dobson fame). I knew and worked with members of both organizations in my time in Springs. They were aware of my views and I of theirs. Yet we could have friendly conversations, work together and respect one another without any hint of the type of rancor that the Rovian politics of the "culture war" inspire. Why do we (the "royal we" from evangelicals to atheists) allow politicians to divide us and distract us from the business at hand -- running the country and making it a better place? Makes me sad...

I was thinking about something last night. I have posted here before that I had a great deal of respect for McCain and would have been happy with him as President (though I'm an Obama supporter) up until a few months ago. I thought McCain was a GOP candidate that would move us away from the so-called culture wars. Unfortunately this man of "character" sold out to get elected. These culture wars have created deep division in this country ... why? I lived and worked in Colorado Springs for about a year (moved out in February). As you may know, Colorado Springs is home to the New Life Church (of Ted Haggard fame) and Focus on the Family (of James Dobson fame). I knew and worked with members of both organizations in my time in Springs. They were aware of my views and I of theirs. Yet we could have friendly conversations, work together and respect one another without any hint of the type of rancor that the Rovian politics of the "culture war" inspire. Why do we (the "royal we" from evangelicals to atheists) allow politicians to divide us and distract us from the business at hand -- running the country and making it a better place? Makes me sad...

Good post. McCain lost all my repect when it became obvious that he woudl sell his soul to win the election. A true maverick would not pander, yet every move Mccain makes is either pandering to the far right. or pandering to the voter who still think he is a mvericl He's neither a meverick anymore (though I think that was a media invenion) nor is he a member of the far right, he is simply living off one image and pandering to the other.

Uppity is racial? I did not know that.

In the south (and some places in the north -- it was familiar enough in Illinois where I was raised), "uppity" was a term used against blacks who were trying to improve their "station" in life -- not "knowing their place," i.e. "uppity nigger."

I agree Moe, it's very sad. McCain sold his soul to the republican party to get elected and this is the #1 issue we should be looking at, his voting recors this year, full of 80 some HUGE flip-flops that proves he is a new McCain.

He is exactly like Bush and votes almost 100 % with him. He has no right to even mention the old McCain anymore, that's not who he is, and the not the direction he would take this country.

Our town smells today..just hours ago McCain/Palin in my town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLIhvkFKauk

The Daily Show did a piece showing clips of McCain's speech and Bush's speech at the RNC in 2000. Amazing how similar they were.

Yeah, that was brilliant! The best example of "McSame" that I've seen to date.

The Daily Show did a piece showing clips of McCain's speech and Bush's speech at the RNC in 2000. Amazing how similar they were.

That was awesome :thumbup & so true. McCain is so Bush & it's gonna come out. I'm still amazed some McCain voters haven't taken a look at his voting record. But then again, I still see Bush bumper stickers out there.

I agree Moe, it's very sad. McCain sold his soul to the republican party to get elected and this is the #1 issue we should be looking at, his voting recors this year, full of 80 some HUGE flip-flops that proves he is a new McCain.

He is exactly like Bush and votes almost 100 % with him. He has no right to even mention the old McCain anymore, that's not who he is, and the not the direction he would take this country.

I can smell the stench all the way up here in Iowa. Seriously, for the first time I am concerned that McCain is going to win this thing. I dare not even fathom this outcome. Hope everyone is ready for more war and god-based initiatives because that is what we will have.

Real happy that MSNBC has removed Matthews & Olbermann from live events. Gregory is so vanilla. I will miss the enthusiasm of Tweety and the chutzpah of Keith the librul. F/n sux. Fire Pat Buchanan while yer at it. A hole.

This totally sucks. I guess it is too much for the powers that be to have dissenting views on TV. Corporate owned media is not beneficial for a democracy. Looks like I will be watching PBS on election night. Wasn't Gregory the one dancing and rapping with that butthole Rove at the correspondents dinner?

Yeah, that was brilliant! The best example of "McSame" that I've seen to date.

Yeah, it was word for word in some parts. They're playing that same line of independence from political parties and reform. I hope this deja vu doesn't fully play itself out.

This totally sucks. I guess it is too much for the powers that be to have dissenting views on TV. Corporate owned media is not beneficial for a democracy. Looks like I will be watching PBS on election night. Wasn't Gregory the one dancing and rapping with that butthole Rove at the correspondents dinner?

Dissenting views? Olbermann's an asshole.

I like the bit about Palin refusing to talk to that gal-darn media she hates so much (doesn't she have a communications/journalism degree?) until she is treated with respect......and has time to memorize her script.

Seriously, they're letting her get away with this crap? Obnoxious as it was, maybe its time to resurrect the "3:00 a.m. phone call" meme. Even Rudy would have to agree that on 9/11, he didn't have two weeks to prepare a response. On 9/11. Because he was there. On 9/11. Did I mention 9/11? 9/11.

9/11.

(thank you, Rudy. you can sit down now.)

I like the bit about Palin refusing to talk to that gal-darn media she hates so much (doesn't she have a communications/journalism degree?) until she is treated with respect......and has time to memorize her script.

Seriously, they're letting her get away with this crap? Obnoxious as it was, maybe its time to resurrect the "3:00 a.m. phone call" meme. Even Rudy would have to agree that on 9/11, he didn't have two weeks to prepare a response. On 9/11. Because he was there. On 9/11. Did I mention 9/11? 9/11.

9/11.

(thank you, Rudy. you can sit down now.)

:lol

Good ol' 9iu11ani.

I feel you. I have friends in the Baptist Church that are as tired of politicians invoking the culture wars as I am. And the Springs would be a strange place to live. Near a couple of Front Range liberal areas, but the Focus and the Family and all that, wow. Two completely different realities.

OMG, barf in my mouth. Rock stars!

Slacker Uprising

Inspired by Neil Young and Radiohead, Michael Moore will release his new film online and for free.

The film, Slacker Uprising, follows Moore's 62-city tour during the 2004 election to rally young voters. It will be available for three weeks as a free download to North American residents, beginning September 23.

Part of Obama's strategy is to campaign in all 50 states, tiring out old McCain. So far it's worked & McCain's been forced to take a lot of R&R. Obama and Bidden are splitting up the country but McCain cant leave Palin on her own. How sad for Palin, she can't be trusted alone. She's can't avoid the media forever.

Part of Obama's strategy is to campaign in all 50 states, tiring out old McCain. So far it's worked & McCain's been forced to take a lot of R&R. Obama and Bidden are splitting up the country but McCain cant leave Palin on her own. How sad for Palin, she can't be trusted alone. She's can't avoid the media forever.

They need to keep that old bastard on the run. He will eventually tire out. She can't be trusted period.

Yes. Dissenting views. Every other program has the same crap on it except for his. This makes it a dissenting view. I don't know if he is an asshole or not. Do you know him? I assume you do since you called him an asshole.

Shush. He's a better writer than you or I.

She's going out on her own in a couple days.