Brand Spanking New Election Thread

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: EL Hypnotic and austrya. I guess we profited from "sketchy lending", too. A couple years ago, my wife and I picked up and moved to a different part of the country. When we found a house we loved, I was working on a contract basis rather than being a permanent employee of a company, and my wife didn't have a job yet at the new location. So we did an interest-only, no-documentation loan to get the house because nobody would give us a regular loan on the basis of my contract-based work. (even though I was making great money at the time)

It got us the house we wanted when we wanted it, but from the start our plan was to refinance to a regular loan as soon as possible. Interestingly, in order to secure the loan we wanted, I had to accept a permanent job with the company I was working for and took a significant pay cut to do so--but having that type of job made me a lower financial risk and we were able to refinance with a fixed rate loan last year.

Its a weird game to play. Now that I have the loan, I might as well go back to making more money as a contractor. I dunno. But it is interesting to think that we would never have been able to do this kind of financial maneuvering in the current environment. The kind of loan product we took doesn't even exist anymore. Heck, our original loan was through American Home Mortgage, which imploded like 2 months after we got our loan. I guess we had a plan going in and were fairly responsible about it, but I can totally see how they got burned handing out those kinds of loans.

My sister used to work for a mortgage lender. She tried to get us to go with an interest only loan because our payments would only be a couple hundred a month and think about all the cool stuff we could buy!! She told us that she got more of a commission on interest only loans than on conventional loans so of course they pushed those.

Some B & C paper (sub prime, 3/5 ARMs, Negative Am's) paid 2 to 4 points to loan originaters vs, .5 to 1 point for a nice 30 year fixed. It's pretty easy to see why these products were pushed by mortgage companies.

Re: EL Hypnotic and austrya. I guess we profited from "sketchy lending", too. A couple years ago, my wife and I picked up and moved to a different part of the country. When we found a house we loved, I was working on a contract basis rather than being a permanent employee of a company, and my wife didn't have a job yet at the new location. So we did an interest-only, no-documentation loan to get the house because nobody would give us a regular loan on the basis of my contract-based work. (even though I was making great money at the time)

It got us the house we wanted when we wanted it, but from the start our plan was to refinance to a regular loan as soon as possible. Interestingly, in order to secure the loan we wanted, I had to accept a permanent job with the company I was working for and took a significant pay cut to do so--but having that type of job made me a lower financial risk and we were able to refinance with a fixed rate loan last year.

Its a weird game to play. Now that I have the loan, I might as well go back to making more money as a contractor. I dunno. But it is interesting to think that we would never have been able to do this kind of financial maneuvering in the current environment. The kind of loan product we took doesn't even exist anymore. Heck, our original loan was through American Home Mortgage, which imploded like 2 months after we got our loan. I guess we had a plan going in and were fairly responsible about it, but I can totally see how they got burned handing out those kinds of loans.

These "sketchy loan" products were made for exactly your situation high income, decent assets, and short verification periods. They were created just for that purpose; you didn't fit into the nice HUD/Fannie/Freddie secondary market guidelines. They were never intended for the majority of potential homeowners to use to purchase their primary residence. They are inherently risky loans and there is quite a premium to the cost of the funds.

agreed. has obama yet discussed his nonexistant specific skills concerning his nonexistant foreign policy experience?

Palin is in bed with Bush & Cheney, geting even more action than McCain, although she's only there for 1 reason...she's a conservative nut job with boobs.

You don't know the first thing about Obama, you have made that quite clear. Let's start @ your level,1st grade... Kwall's fisrt day of Obama school

Then why don't you two quit talking about them so damn much?

Btw, do you have something against whitey not college grad? Who is Lord Obama searching for?

I am venting, I don't talk about them much.

No, except they tend to buy the shit that McRovebush sell more than the college grad of any ethnicity. I made the point that "Dude" typifies that demographic because McPain already has them in their pocket, unless they receive Union pressure to go "Lord Obama".

Fencesitters. Who are they? White women, perhaps some elderly, as well.

agreed. has obama yet discussed his nonexistant specific skills concerning his nonexistant foreign policy experience?

Tit for tat, we can do this all day. Has McPain figured out that Spain isn't in Mexico? And that they are an ally in the war against the evildoers?

Palin is in bed with Bush & Cheney, geting even more action than McCain, although she's only there for 1 reason...she's a conservative nut job with boobs.

You don't know the first thing about Obama, you have made that quite clear. Let's start @ your level,1st grade... Kwall's fisrt day of Obama school

Your skills and ability to be persuasive are/is wasted here, you should really volunteer for you local Obama election office and focus your efforts there.

Your skills and ability to be persuasive are/is wasted here, you should really volunteer for you local Obama election office and focus your efforts there.

You should rebuild the mortgage industry. Your knowledge is being wasted explaining your skill on VC.

Are you kidding? She's going to get her own talk show and run that bitch Oprah off the air.

she probably is capable of having of her own talk show, though it would have to be oprah lite, unless she can stop talking like a junior-high cheerleader. really, that's what she reminds me of, both in tone and in content. it gives me a start every morning when i'm not totally awake yet and hear something about her on the radio or tv. "oh god, she IS an actual vice presidential candidate. help."

You should rebuild the mortgage industry. Your knowledge is being wasted explaining your skill on VC.

It will take care of that itself.

P.S I'm a whitey, college grad. Does this help you in anyway?

it gives me a start every morning when i'm not totally awake yet and hear something about her on the radio or tv. "oh god, she IS an actual vice presidential candidate. help."

Haha. Damn straight - the prospect of hearing that voice (and its content) for whatever amount of time she's president after McCain croaks is unbearable.

Haha. Damn straight - the prospect of hearing that voice (and its content) for whatever amount of time she's president after McCain croaks is unbearable.

I had to laugh (to keep from cryin', I guess) yesterday when she referred to the "Palin/McCain Administration". Wow.

I had to laugh (to keep from cryin', I guess) yesterday when she referred to the "Palin/McCain Administration". Wow.

in three decades of paying attention to campaigns and voting in elections, i'd never heard that slip before. more than a little interesting.

she wants to be president! that scares the living crap out of me.

The thing that baffles me about this election, so far, is the fact that the focus of the race is now Obama vs. Palin. Which makes you wonder why is not McCain vs Obama, as it should?

And remember the Constitution only gives one power to the Vice President, to break ties in the Senate. And the only other job is to become president when the president dies or is removed from office. That is it. I have not heard what Biden's role, nor Palin's role will be in their respective administrations, nor do I think anyone has said.

This election the Vice Presidency nomination is a political choice to serve as a lighting rod or a distraction to move the debate away from real issues, or to appease ones base. If anyone thinks that Palin was not a choice for those very reasons then you need pull your heads out of the sand. And, those that think that Palin (if McCain is elected) will have any type of power or advisory role in the administration is mistaken as well. Sure she will look good at State Funerals, and meeting the president of Belgium, but policy, does anyone really think she will have a role in making policy?

Palin is a story, something packaged up to sell to people, to distract from attention, when the Republicans know their guy is really not up to snuff.

and yes Obama is essentially the same thing, but here is the difference. Obama, has been running for president for the last two years, you better believe that he has been studying and working on his policies in order to have he ideas he has. But again the focus has turned to Obama v Pailn.

One would hope that after the debates it will go back to Obama v McCain.

The thing that baffles me about this election, so far, is the fact that the focus of the race is now Obama vs. Palin. Which makes you wonder why is not McCain vs Obama, as it should?

And remember the Constitution only gives one power to the Vice President, to break ties in the Senate. And the only other job is to become president when the president dies or is removed from office. That is it. I have not heard what Biden's role, nor Palin's role will be in their respective administrations, nor do I think anyone has said.

This election the Vice Presidency nomination is a political choice to serve as a lighting rod or a distraction to move the debate away from real issues, or to appease ones base. If anyone thinks that Palin was not a choice for those very reasons then you need pull your heads out of the sand. And, those that think that Palin (if McCain is elected) will have any type of power or advisory role in the administration is mistaken as well. Sure she will look good at State Funerals, and meeting the president of Belgium, but policy, does anyone really think she will have a role in making policy?

Palin is a story, something packaged up to sell to people, to distract from attention, when the Republicans know their guy is really not up to snuff.

and yes Obama is essentially the same thing, but here is the difference. Obama, has been running for president for the last two years, you better believe that he has been studying and working on his policies in order to have he ideas he has. But again the focus has turned to Obama v Pailn.

One would hope that after the debates it will go back to Obama v McCain.

thank you, excellent post. a lot of us need that reminder sometimes, including me.

What did she say after she said this? I heard about it, but didn't get to see.

i watched it several times, and to be honest i don't quite remember, but hazily i think i remember it was something like "i know more about energy than anyone else in this country." ;)