• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayor Palin: A Rough Record

Palin staff won't testify in trooper probe, AG says

Palin's husband refuses to testify in probe

By MATT VOLZ, Associated Press Writer 5 minutes ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's husband has refused to testify in the investigation of his wife's alleged abuse of power, and a key lawmaker said Thursday that uncooperative witnesses are effectively sidetracking the probe until after Election Day.

Todd Palin, who participates in state business in person or by e-mail, was among 13 people subpoenaed by the Alaska Legislature. McCain-Palin presidential campaign spokesman Ed O'Callaghan announced Thursday that Todd Palin would not appear, because he no longer believes the Legislature's investigation is legitimate.

Sarah Palin initially welcomed the investigation of accusations that she dismissed the state's public safety commissioner because he refused to fire her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper. "Hold me accountable," she said.

But she has increasingly opposed it since Republican presidential candidate John McCain tapped her as his running mate. The McCain campaign dispatched a legal team to Alaska including O'Callaghan, a former top U.S. terrorism prosecutor from New York to bolster Palin's local lawyer.

Earlier this week, Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg said the governor, who was not subpoenaed, declined to participate in the investigation and said Palin administration employees who have been subpoenaed would not appear.

State Sen. Bill Wielechowski, a Democrat, said the McCain campaign is doing all it can to prevent the Legislature from completing a report on whether the GOP's vice presidential nominee abused her power as governor.

Wielechowski, a member of the panel that summoned the witnesses, told The Associated Press that the witnesses can avoid testifying for months without penalty and that court action to force them to appear sooner is unlikely.

Palin fired Walt Monegan in July. It later emerged that Palin, her husband, Todd, and several high-level staffers had contacted Monegan about state trooper Mike Wooten. Palin maintains she fired Monegan over budget disagreements, not because he wouldn't dismiss her former brother-in-law.

Wooten had gone through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister before Palin became governor. While Monegan says no one from the administration ever told him directly to fire Wooten, he says their repeated contacts made it clear they wanted Wooten gone.

Alaska Senate President Lyda Green, a Republican foe of Palin, said Wednesday that the investigation is still on track.

"The original purpose of the investigation was to bring out the truth. Nothing has changed," she said.

Without the testimony, the retired prosecutor hired to head the investigation could still release a report in October as scheduled, based on the evidence he's already gathered. As of Thursday, Steven Branchflower had interviewed or deposed 17 of the 33 people he had identified as potential witnesses in the probe.

The Legislature does not have the leverage to compel any witness to testify before Nov. 4, said Wielechowski, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Wielechowski said he did not know whether Branchflower has enough material for a complete and fair report with so few witnesses. But he said delaying the probe, which began as a bipartisan effort, would only politicize the matter more.

"It would be to appease the McCain camp," Wielechowski said. "They're doing everything they can to delay."

Ignoring a legislative subpoena is punishable by a fine up to $500 and up to six months in jail under Alaska law. But courts are reluctant to intervene in legislative matters and the full Legislature must be in session to bring contempt charges, Wielechowski said. The Legislature is not scheduled to convene until January.

But the 1st Dude is a lifelong commercial fisherman, a production operator in the oil fields of Alaska's North Slope, a proud member of the United Steel Workers' Union, and world champion snow machine racer..you can't touch this dude! 2r5gihi.gif

Are we sure the Palin's aren't related to the Cheney's.

from http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail..._taxes_and.html:

And the problem with his remarks is...? :unsure What I get from it is that he's saying all of us, rich and poor, have to make sacrifices for our country (if we care about it).

I end up giving around 30%+ of the money I make to the "guvamen" and Obama/Biden thinks that's not patriotic enough? :hmm

It's the Cheney model of transparency. duh.

Palin's first town hall meeting

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Governor Palin, there has been quite a bit of discussion about your perceived lack of foreign policy experience. And I want to give you your chance. If you could please respond to that criticism and give us specific skills that you think you have to bring to the White House to rebut that or mitigate that concern.

PALIN: Well, I think because I

It's the Cheney model of transparency. duh.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Governor Palin, there has been quite a bit of discussion about your perceived lack of foreign policy experience. And I want to give you your chance. If you could please respond to that criticism and give us specific skills that you think you have to bring to the White House to rebut that or mitigate that concern.

PALIN: Well, I think because I'm a Washington outsider that opponents are going to be looking for a whole lot of things that they can criticize and they can kind of try to beat the candidates here, who chose me as his partner, to kind of tear down the ticket. But as for foreign policy, you know, I think that I am prepared and I know that on January 20th, if we are so blessed as to be sworn into office as your president and vice president, certainly we'll be ready. I'll be ready. I have that confidence. I have that readiness.

And if you want specifics with specific policy or countries, go ahead and you can ask me. You can even play stump the candidate if you want to. But we are ready to serve.

She opted out of her stump the candidate offer. The hall was ticketed guests only. These fucktards couldn't possibly be elected, could they?

I just watched this on Olbermann 2 seconds ago & yelled @ the TV like a dork. No Palin, you still have not discussed your specific skills concering your foreign policy experience..and you never will, cause you ain't got none. :monkey

The debates should be tasty. She can't run around in her pretty little Alaskan circles speaking about glass ceilings and seeing Russia from her toilet for much longer.

Yeah, I'm afraid these fucktards could quite possibly ruin our country in the 4-8 years. :ohwell

I end up giving around 30%+ of the money I make to the "guvamen" and Obama/Biden thinks that's not patriotic enough? :hmm

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you make over $226,000 you'll be getting a tax cut either way -- 2% from Obama, 3% from McGruff. Of course all bets may be off the table if the Fed can't crank out money fast enough for the new nationalized financial industry. We have a budget deficit of $311 billion, a debt of $9.5 trillion, plus whatever the new bailouts will cost us.

Considering the grave predicament Bush's economic policies and empire building actions have put us in, including the blatant preferential treatment of the most well off among us, the bill has come due. The rest of us have been bled. Those who have most benefited from the greed driven economy should now be the ones to foot a larger share of the bill -- individuals and corporations.

"[sarah Palin] knows more about energy than probably anyone else in the United States of America. ... And, uh, she also happens to represent, be governor of a state that's right next to Russia."[/b] --after being asked about Sarah Palin's foreign policy experience, interview with WCSH-6, Portland, OR, Sept. 12, 2008 :monkey

This coming from a guy whose family knows more about war than anyone else in the United States of America.

Of course she knows about energy -- she can see all of those potential oil fields from her house.

Come to think of it I bet McCain knows more about hyperbole than anyone else in the world.

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you make over $226,000 you'll be getting a tax cut either way -- 2% from Obama, 3% from McGruff. Of course all bets may be off the table if the Fed can't crank out money fast enough for the new nationalized financial industry. We have a budget deficit of $311 billion, a debt of $9.5 trillion, plus whatever the new bailouts will cost us.

Considering the grave predicament Bush's economic policies and empire building actions have put us in, including the blatant preferential treatment of the most well off among us, the bill has come due. The rest of us have been bled. Those who have most benefited from the greed driven economy should now be the ones to foot a larger share of the bill -- individuals and corporations.

You know between Bush and the Congress, this country is falling off the table into protectionism. Dems sitting on free trade, Bush and his policies having to drag down and rope the economy like a bull. Scary, scary stuff.

Everytime she opens her mouth it is either "glass ceiling", "hockey mom", "thanks but no thanks", "lipstick", or "my husband is a champion snowmobile racer." WTF? How is this person still a candidate? I have never heard her say one substantive thing.

Could you imagine having to listen to her and McCain the next four years? That is a fate worse than death. It would make you long for the days of the Bush Administration.

Are you kidding? She's going to get her own talk show and run that bitch Oprah off the air.

PALIN: Well, I think because I

You seem like an intelligent person, but you don't know what you're talking about.

my wife and i were talking about this the other day. it hit me as i was complaining about the mess we're in as a country, we personally benefitted heavily from both the recent credit card and mortgage practices of the past few years. it allowed us to get into a mortgage to won our own home before we would have ever been able to do so and reduce our credit card debt significantly via the rash of low as 0% interest rate incentives.

the point is, in theory, we (and i'm sure a lot of other folks) handled these opportunities responsibly. just saying that, again, to put the ENTIRE blame on the financial community and/or government is really sketchy. this scenario isn't all about the irresponsible lending, but the irresponsible borrowing as well. quite frankly, it's everybody's fault.

But the 1st Dude is a lifelong commercial fisherman, a production operator in the oil fields of Alaska's North Slope, a proud member of the United Steel Workers' Union, and world champion snow machine racer..you can't touch this dude! 2r5gihi.gif

They are really trying to pimp him out. Let's see who they are reaching for...

commercial fisherman- whitey, not college grad

prod operator oil- whitey, not college grad

Steel workers- whitey, but pull some union voters from Dem, not college grad

snow mobile racer- whitey, no school at all

dude- whitey

White women? After reading Analogs' maxed out mom, maybe they are pimping him for that? The dream stud of a single or married overworked mom? I sure hope there is some reason cuz I'm sick of hearing about Mr. Studmuffin and his Douchehole wife.

my wife and i were talking about this the other day. it hit me as i was complaining about the mess we're in as a country, we personally benefitted heavily from both the recent credit card and mortgage practices of the past few years. it allowed us to get into a mortgage to won our own home before we would have ever been able to do so and reduce our credit card debt significantly via the rash of low as 0% interest rate incentives.

the point is, in theory, we (and i'm sure a lot of other folks) handled these opportunities responsibly. just saying that, again, to put the ENTIRE blame on the financial community and/or government is really sketchy. this scenario isn't all about the irresponsible lending, but the irresponsible borrowing as well. quite frankly, it's everybody's fault.

I was just going to post something like this.

When we bought our house we got a fixed rate mortgage and put 20% down. We saved up to be able to buy a house and didn't buy one beyond our means. Just because the bank says they'll loan you $500K to buy a house, doesn't mean you have to spend that much.

Our old neighbors bought their house with zero down and bought the most expensive house they could get a loan for. Needless to say, it's now sitting empty and has been foreclosed.

My sister used to work for a mortgage lender. She tried to get us to go with an interest only loan because our payments would only be a couple hundred a month and think about all the cool stuff we could buy!! She told us that she got more of a commission on interest only loans than on conventional loans so of course they pushed those.

They are really trying to pimp him out. Let's see who they are reaching for...

commercial fisherman- whitey, not college grad

prod operator oil- whitey, not college grad

Steel workers- whitey, but pull some union voters from Dem, not college grad

snow mobile racer- whitey, no school at all

dude- whitey

White women? After reading Analogs' maxed out mom, maybe they are pimping him for that? The dream stud of a single or married overworked mom? I sure hope there is some reason cuz I'm sick of hearing about Mr. Studmuffin and his Douchehole wife.

Then why don't you two quit talking about them so damn much?

Btw, do you have something against whitey not college grad? Who is Lord Obama searching for?

No Palin, you still have not discussed your specific skills concering your foreign policy experience..and you never will, cause you ain't got none.

agreed. has obama yet discussed his nonexistant specific skills concerning his nonexistant foreign policy experience?