Brand Spanking New Election Thread

Not true. Obama is not the ultimate lefty wet dream. That would be Kucinich...err umm, I mean Kucinich's wife. :thumbup

Forgive me for bringing race into it, but Obama's nonwhiteitude excites the exoticism of the left in way even Mrs. Kucinich can't.

Best line of the day on the Campaign Trail goes to Barack Obama -

"He (McCain) is now talking about going after the old boy network...The Old Boy Network...in the McCain campaign 'the old boy network' is known as A STAFF MEETING. :rotfl

Nice.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best line of the day on the Campaign Trail goes to Barack Obama -

"He (McCain) is now talking about going after the old boy network...The Old Boy Network...in the McCain campaign 'the old boy network' is known as A STAFF MEETING. :rotfl

The "ageist" commercials start in 2 hours.

I couldn't find one on Biden and masturbation :ohwell

That's not balance!!!

In other news, I'd just like to go on the record as saying I am against Senator's McCain's war on Spain. :unsure

Edit: That second part there is one of the weirder things I've encountered in my insomnia-fueled surfing. Doesn't look like the American press has really picked up on this yet and maybe it won't. At best, McCain appears to have had a "senior moment" and forgotten who the Prime Minister of Spain is (and possibly its geographic location). At worst, he just declared Spain an enemy. Wha?? This is the "foreign policy expert" in this election?

Here's a goody from a former publisher and editor of the National Review: conservativism is dead; Obama's the man

"...this is a thoughtful, pragmatic, and prudent man. It gives me comfort just to think that after eight years of George W. Bush we will have a president who has actually read the Federalist Papers."

Here's a goody from a former publisher and editor of the National Review: conservativism is dead; Obama's the man

"...this is a thoughtful, pragmatic, and prudent man. It gives me comfort just to think that after eight years of George W. Bush we will have a president who has actually read the Federalist Papers."

I want to sincerely thank you for posting that link. I will use it to hopefully get a few of my conservative-minded friends and acquaintances to read it with an open mind. Cheers.

"I believe that Barack Obama, with MoveOn.org and Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean, has taken the Democratic Party
Forgive me for bringing race into it, but Obama's nonwhiteitude excites the exoticism of the left in way even Mrs. Kucinich can't.

exotic? how about simply "refreshing" and "it's about time" and "finally possibly the ultimate representation for african americans after centuries of little to none"? all-white can get old after a couple of centuries plus here in the melting pot. i don't know why other people are voting for him, but i'll vote for him because he's the best one running in my book and yes, that he's not white is icing on the cake in some pretty meaningful ways.

fantastic.

talk about obvious disenfranchisement attempts!

That's not balance!!!

In other news, I'd just like to go on the record as saying I am against Senator's McCain's war on Spain. :unsure

Edit: That second part there is one of the weirder things I've encountered in my insomnia-fueled surfing. Doesn't look like the American press has really picked up on this yet and maybe it won't. At best, McCain appears to have had a "senior moment" and forgotten who the Prime Minister of Spain is (and possibly its geographic location). At worst, he just declared Spain an enemy. Wha?? This is the "foreign policy expert" in this election?

I'm sure he had just finished listening to Rage Against the Machine and thought the reporter said Zapatista. Surely.

That's not balance!!!

UPDATE: McCain's senior policy adviser insisted today that McCain meant what he suggested about not necessarily meeting Zapatero.

"Senator McCain refused to commit to a White House meeting with President Zapatero in this interview," Randy Sheunemann told the Washington Post. "He's not going senile. Really."

I swear, I get like 4 calls a day for voter surveys. I think I only got 2 calls total during the 2004 election.

I haven't gotten a single survey call this election season...although, come to think of it, a lot of "Uknown Name"s have been popping up on the caller id lately and I generally don't answer those. :lol

I haven't gotten a single survey call this election season...although, come to think of it, a lot of "Uknown Name"s have been popping up on the caller id lately and I generally don't answer those. :lol

I know it always makes me wonder who is answering these calls. Even when I do pick up the phone, I don't even wait to hear who it is when I can tell its not a personal call. Who sits and answers these questions for polling data?

If it's someone who doesn't sound like a telemarketer, I'll answer their questions. I don't have caller ID, so I usually answer anyways.

I had a call a couple days ago from a local high school kid who was volunteering for the Obama campaign. I was just excited that an 18 year old kid was actually involved and wanted to help him out.

I know it always makes me wonder who is answering these calls. Even when I do pick up the phone, I don't even wait to hear who it is when I can tell its not a personal call. Who sits and answers these questions for polling data?

When I was just out of college (and couldn't find a real job at the end of HW Bush's term), I took a temp job making these political calls. I'll tell you, these surveys were ALL incredibly leading. The funny thing is, it really was the lowest common denominator that would take the 20 minutes to respond. One guy from Montana -- despite the fact that the survey was obviously from a conservative group (questions like, I shit you not, "Do you want the Democrats to take away your right to bear arms?") -- continued to call me a liberal hippie. Finally i got frustrated and said "look you don't have to answer these questions, but I can't hang up on you." Ha! Yeah, I got reprimanded! :lol

Finally i got frustrated and said "look you don't have to answer these questions, but I can't hang up on you." Ha! Yeah, I got reprimanded! :lol

That's funny. :P I think I started one survey during the last presidential election. My thinking was "Sure, I am interested and engaged in this election--I'd be happy to share my opinion..." After the first few questions, I asked how long this was going to take and the answer I got was "Not long...maybe 20 minutes." :omg

I've got small kids who will likely destroy the house and half the neighborhood if I sit on the phone answering questions for 20 minutes. Can't I just say who I'm voting for and be done with it??

All the one's that I've answered have been short. 5 questions, tops.

Usually it's:

1. On a scale of 1-5, with 5 being "not at all", how closely are you following this election?

2. If the election were today, would you vote for McCain or Obama?

3. In November, are you very sure, somewhat sure, or not very sure that you will be voting for Obama?

4. For demographical purposes, what is your age?

That's about it.

exotic? how about simply "refreshing" and "it's about time" and "finally possibly the ultimate representation for african americans after centuries of little to none"? all-white can get old after a couple of centuries plus here in the melting pot. i don't know why other people are voting for him, but i'll vote for him because he's the best one running in my book and yes, that he's not white is icing on the cake in some pretty meaningful ways.

All that is true, and one should not underplay his charisma and very strong leadership abilities. It's been a long time since a politician has shown the ability to inspire that he does. But if he does not have the toughness to survive the process of getting elected, it's all a moot point. His nomination was the end result of the leftier Dems splitting away from the moderates and resulted in a candidate who may well be too much change too fast for too many people. Though, it could well be Hillary would not be doing any better at this point. The Republicans are just plain ol' better at presidential politics than the Democrats.