Brand Spanking New Election Thread

The thing that baffles me about this election, so far, is the fact that the focus of the race is now Obama vs. Palin. Which makes you wonder why is not McCain vs Obama, as it should?

One would hope that after the debates it will go back to Obama v McCain.

I think Obama and Biden keep the focus on Obama vs McCain. I think some people confuse the media with their campaign. I try to catch as many of their stops online or by tv news, they keep it focused on the issues...unlike McCain/Palin.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would hope that after the debates it will go back to Obama v McCain.

I've felt over the last week or so that the focus was going back to Obama/McCain anyway. Palin isn't "new" anymore and I get the sense that she's kind of fading into the background. The economy this week has taken some of the sideshow crap away from this race, which if anything remotely good can be said of this week on Wall St, that's it. Its the economy, stupid. It always has been. Whoever can articulate best what they are going to do about it will win.

The thing about Palin that drives the left crazy is her ties to the social conservatism of the Christian Right. She's on the ticket specifically because McCain desperately needs their vote, but that segment of the GOP can't stand him. So he tossed them a bone by putting Palin on the ticket. Someone they'll see as one of their own, but unknown enough to appear to have some "outsider" appeal. Hell, let it look like she'll be in charge. Even better. Gets them riled up. Whatever. She doesn't need to know anything, that's what she'll have advisers for--if she actually has any decisions to make. It really is unclear, though, what her actual role will be, or if they'll let her have one.

McCain doesn't seem all that interested in the social agenda and I think the liberals' fear is that he'll put that ball in Palin's court. The thing is that the GOP has a long history of pandering to the Christian Right but not actually delivering all that much.(but scaring the bejeezus out of the left in the process, just by the threat of doing so)

'obama school' is my favorite mark harmon movie.

I love the part where the kids use makeup to convince a substitute that they slaughtered a bunch of Muslims.

I've felt over the last week or so that the focus was going back to Obama/McCain anyway. Palin isn't "new" anymore and I get the sense that she's kind of fading into the background. The economy this week has taken some of the sideshow crap away from this race, which if anything remotely good can be said of this week on Wall St, that's it. Its the economy, stupid. It always has been. Whoever can articulate best what they are going to do about it will win.

The thing about Palin that drives the left crazy is her ties to the social conservatism of the Christian Right. She's on the ticket specifically because McCain desperately needs their vote, but that segment of the GOP can't stand him. So he tossed them a bone by putting Palin on the ticket. Hell, let it look like she'll be in charge. Even better. Gets them riled up. Whatever. She doesn't need to know anything, that's what she'll have advisers for--if she actually has any decisions to make. It really is unclear, though, what her actual role will be, or if they'll actually let her have one.

McCain doesn't seem all that interested in the social agenda and I think the liberals' fear is that he'll put that ball in Palin's court. The thing is that the GOP has a long history of pandering to the Christian Right but not actually delivering all that much.(but scaring the bejeezus out of the left, just by the threat)

And the NRA vote. . .

This morning, I overheard some folks being interviewed on NPR about who they will vote for in the election. Most of the responses had to do with McCain being a patriotic American, the issue of religion, and the old "he won't take my guns away" deal.

I heard a radio ad for McBain/Palin yesterday that focused on the ticket's support for stem cell research. That was refreshing. Actually advertising a position that is unpopular with the Evangelical right and an ad talking about policy instead of attacks! Kudos... I'll give you credit when you do good, Johnny Boy!

are people noticing many bumperstickers on cars about this election? in southern maine i see just about none, which is really unusual, and i'm wondering about other regions/states. if not, are people afraid to let their preference be known this time, is nearly everyone out there undecided after all, are people not excited about their preferred candidate if they do have one, or are they worried about wrecking the paint on their vehicles?

I heard a radio ad for McBain/Palin yesterday that focused on the ticket's support for stem cell research. That was refreshing. Actually advertising a position that is unpopular with the Evangelical right and an ad talking about policy instead of attacks! Kudos... I'll give you credit when you do good, Johnny Boy!

I can see them saying that they support stem cell research and not clarifying they type of stem cell research. That way it can't come back to bite them in the ass.

And the NRA vote. . .

This morning, I overheard some folks being interviewed on NPR about who they will vote for in the election. Most of the responses had to do with McCain being a patriotic American, the issue of religion, and the old "he won't take my guns away" deal.

The NRA is very very powerful. Somehow they've convinced a sizeable number of folks that a vote for a Dem means bye-bye guns. I've heard that argument a lot around here. :ohwell

are people noticing many bumperstickers on cars about this election?

Bumper stickers are so last election. :rolleyes I still se a fair amount of them (mainly Obama, actually), but not nearly as pervasive as the Bush stickers of the past.

I have a friend who still has a Gore 2000 and a WTF? '04 sticker on his car. He claims he keeps them there in protest, but I think it is really just that those things are a pain in the butt to scratch off.

are people noticing many bumperstickers on cars about this election? in southern maine i see just about none, which is really unusual, and i'm wondering about other regions/states. if not, are people afraid to let their preference be known this time, is nearly everyone out there undecided after all, are people not excited about their preferred candidate if they do have one, or are they worried about wrecking the paint on their vehicles?

I haven't seen bumper stickers either but I have seen a lot of Obama t-shirts on people.

I've seen a few Obama yard signs around, but no McCain yard signs. I think there's someone out there kicking them over and lighting the rich people on fire. ;)

i see about 1 McCain lawn sign for every 20-30 here in Minneapolis, but have yet to see a SINGLE McCain bumper sticker, meanwihle i've seen 100's of Obama ones (including on my car).

yet there's STILL quite a few Bush '04 (and a few lingering Kerry) stickers :lol

I still see Kerry stickers on cars around here - lately, I have noticed more Obama stickers. A couple of Sundays ago, I was walling back from downtown and cut through a church parking lot - I saw a lot of McCain bumper stickers, as well as, a few bumper stickers featuring some deal about Obama being a Muslim.

And the NRA vote. . .

these priorities are running a painful, circular groove into my brain. makes it hard to think . . .

I notice this here in MO as well, and with my travels this summer. What's up? I personally just put my stickers on because of road rage fears. I live in rural Missouri with lots of trucks sporting Bush stickers (why no McCain though?) that try to run you over for going the speed limit. For some reason, most people here just left their Bush sticks up instead of buying a McCain one. :shifty

It needs to be said: who the hell puts bumber stickers on his/her car?

a lot of religious people do it. hmmm.