Post-season MLB

Just so you kids know, I broke out my old Trot Nixon jersey T-shirt last night. ( I actually still have it on. It's one of those kinds of weekends.) I like to think My favorite number 7 somehow channeled the Red Sox's current number 7 last night.

Thanks, Christopher Trotman Nixon.

You know DeRosa's my favorite, so feel free to share the number 7 luck tonight...

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Game 3 of the NLDS at Milwaukee's Miller Park. I've never had more fun at a sporting event, never done so much yelling, jumping up and down, and high-fiving strangers. My voice is shot.

And I'm going back tomorrow. Can't wait.

Just got back from Game 3 of the NLDS at Milwaukee's Miller Park. I've never had more fun at a sporting event, never done so much yelling, jumping up and down, and high-fiving strangers. My voice is shot.

And I'm going back tomorrow. Can't wait.

Tamala and I were there tonight, too! So much fun. Have a great time tomorrow and bring us another win!

Cubs lose, big shock. Whenever things get tough for them - bartman, garvey, etc. - they have always folded. Only original 16 team that's never come from a game down to win a series.

Kinda figured after 7 straight losses to Philly the Brewers were due. Phils were awful in the clutch - if they don't win series, they'll be thinking about that ninth inning a loooong time.

Just so you kids know, I broke out my old Trot Nixon jersey T-shirt last night. ( I actually still have it on. It's one of those kinds of weekends.) I like to think My favorite number 7 somehow channeled the Red Sox's current number 7 last night.

Thanks, Christopher Trotman Nixon.

i'll second that. he had a long and fierce loyalty to the club & fans and played hard. it was sad to see him go. it was also touching and great fun to be part of the crowd that gave him a standing O and didn't want to stop when he first came back to fenway last year, with the indians. i'll never forget it.

i'm not going to try and cover for the Cubs, best record, ya gotta win.

The thing is, base ball needs to reward a team that plays 162 games, and has the best record, like the Angels

an extra home game. The best of 5 is a crap shoot as it is. All those games and then a best of 5 ?

I wish the greedy owners & players would go back to 154, and have to play World Series games in the freezing cold.

i'm a bit long in the tooth, but I remember afternoon playoff games, and liking it.

The best of 5 is a crap shoot as it is. All those games and then a best of 5 ?

I've always thought this is weird, too. By virtue of having fewer games, each game of a best-of-5 actually has higher stakes than each game of a best-of-7.

I miss afternoon playoff baseball as well. That's why that Rays' game one win was just an awesome day all around.

But I can't say I'm a fan of the WS being played in bitter cold. I don't know what the answer is, with Boston/NY being perennial playoff contenders. I also agree that best-of-five doesn't really feel right.

Schedule double-headers during the regular season. Yeah, that'll happen.

So what's the alternative to best-of-5?? Best -of-7 all the way through? Best-of-10? Best-of 14?

There are only so many days in a year. Best-of 7 might work better like the old days, but there wasn't a Wild Card back then, either. The Wild Card enables more fans' teams to be included.

The Cubs were rewarded by being given a chance to fill out a post-season roster with their top 25 producers. If they can't get it done within 5 games, tough nuts.

The reason the NYY/BOS are perennial contenders is because they put decent products on the field year-in/year-out. I understand folks get sick of it (BOS,NYY) but a response might be: so what?

We're going to get pissed at teams that cultivate a rich farm system and manage their money wisely? Please.

Even in a 7 game series, there's a pretty good chance the lesser team will win. It's annoying when it's your time that comes out as the losers, but it happens to someone every year. Them's the breaks.

There's a pretty good chance any team could beat any other team during the regular season, too. It's a game.

So maybe there shouldn't be post-season ball. Just give the "best" team a trophy after 162 games....

Condolences and hugs to the Cubs and their fans, and pending condolences to the Angels fans, but I don't believe in teams getting special breaks in the playoffs. Expand the Division series to seven games if the no-room-for-error nature of a five-game series seems too arbitrary, but if a team which looks great in lower-pressure situations folds in high-pressure ones, that's the breaks. Give them a cookie and a hug and get them off the field in favor of teams with more intestinal fortitude and grace under pressure. (Like the Red Sox, whose grit and grandeur makes this Mets fan deeply envious.)

I don't know if it would have mattered in the Cubs' case - the Dodgers' right-handed starters were able to get the best of Chicago's right-handed power hitters. (Soriano is bitch anyway, my Yankees fans friends tell me.) The Angels may not really be so hot - the rest of the AL West was pure liquid shit this year, so their regular season win total might be deceptive. Watch out for the Dodgers - their pitching looks great, as does Manny - I think they should have no prob with either the Phillies or Milwaukee. A Dodgers-Red Sox series would be a double-pisser. That is, if Boston can get past the increasingly impressive Rays.

I was just noting that the Sox and Yanks make the playoffs almost every year and it gets cold up there in late October, so bitter weather conditions will always be a concern. No knock against the organizations.

Sox fans are gettin' testy.