Post-season MLB

The commissioner can do whatever he wants "in the best interest of the game". With that in mind, he should have called/postponed it after the 4th inning, or even the 5th, even though is was a 2-1 game. The World Series should not be played in those conditions, IMO.

Totally agree. It was ridiculous and disappointing for the World Series to be played in that slush. I am glad, especially given the forecast in Philly for the next few days, that he said that the World Series will not end with an unfinished game.

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamels probably had an inning left but he will be pulled IMHO

thank God Selig didnt want to end the world series after 5 innings, that would have been the cherry on his terrible tenure

Yeah, I tend to think if the score was already tied after 4 or 5 innings, he would have made the call at that time. The Pena RBI made his decision easier and let him off the hook. Still shouldn't have started the 6th.

Yeah, I tend to think if the score was already tied after 4 or 5 innings, he would have made the call at that time. The Pena RBI made his decision easier and let him off the hook. Still shouldn't have started the 6th.

Oh I totally agreed it should have been stopped sooner, probably after 4, its not like either team has games the next few days like in June so travel isnt an issue, the crew for this series has been terrible, all of that said at the same time for the Phillies fans who are upset...... they let BJ Upton get on and you had to of known he was going to steal a base also a better throw by Burrell in LF gets Bossman Junior at home.....get outs, no excuses, play like a champion...with the Phillies pen though they have a great shot to finish game 5 out, a battle of the pens favors them big time

after all this drama I do hope the Rays can send it back to tampa, I have a buddy with tickets to game 6, also Im not ready for baseball season to be over

I believe Hamels was due up first in the bottom of the 6th. Don't you think he would have been pulled anyway?

He only threw 75 pitches, and was looking strong all night. I think they would have let him pitch at least one more inning, maybe more.

Just got this memo from a buddy of mine. He came up with some solid new rules:

If a game is postponed due to weather like last night's game, the balance of the game shall be played as follows:

Home team -- skins; visitor -- shirts (home team of course is responsible for the inclement weather and should be punished by wearing no shirts);

Home team must designate a player to sing "God Bless America" during 7th inning stretch regardless ("Irregardless" if you're from New Jersey) of whether someone else has been scheduled to sing; if player screws up on any word of "God Bless America" or gives less than a good faith effort, as determined by and in the discretion of the home plate umpire, 1 out is charged against the home team in its next batting half inning;

In lieu of having one player singing "God Bless America", home team may opt for the entire team doing 2 full 1.5 oz shots of Jim Beam whiskey at home plate and to be completed prior to the bottom half of the 7th inning. If any player pukes, the team is charged 1 out in its next batting half inning, unless the puking player projects said vomit more than 10 feet from home plate.

What a good ole American game baseball is!

More likely they'd save him for a possible Game 7 on Friday.

But that's assuming they lose the game. He was pitching great -- it makes more sense to me to let him to play to win this one and end the series rather than play with the assumption that the bullpen would blow this one and then they'd lose game 6.

But that's assuming they lose the game. He was pitching great -- it makes more sense to me to let him to play to win this one and end the series rather than play with the assumption that the bullpen would blow this one and then they'd lose game 6.

Well, who knows how Hamels will react to throwing on 1 day rest? Plus the Phils' pen has been solid - they really only need 6-7 innings tops from a starter. If they use Hamels and they don't win, he's done. I just don't think you gain that much putting Hamels out there for an inning or two. Which isn't death, because they come back with Myers and Joe "The Lumber" Blanton (I think that was my bro's headline in the Philly Daily News). At the same time, how will relievers react to being the first pitchers of the night?

Should be inneresting.

I'm pulling for the Phils cause I'm off tomorrow, then work the next eight straight at the PD, with the Cavs home opener plus two Browns games (Sunday and, ugh, Thursday night). Don't need no extra WS games added to the mix.

Well, who knows how Hamels will react to throwing on 1 day rest?

Oh, I'm not saying that they should put him back out there when the game resumes. I just meant that, if the game had continued last night, it would have made sense to let him hit in the bottom of the inning and continue to pitch for an inning or two longer.

Oh, I'm not saying that they should put him back out there when the game resumes. I just meant that, if the game had continued last night, it would have made sense to let him hit in the bottom of the inning and continue to pitch for an inning or two longer.

Absolutely. You don't pull your best pitcher out of a tie game after six innings when he's only allowed five hits and has a low pitch count. Maybe in the 7th, probably in the 8th, but not in the 6th.

You got to wonder with a day of rest now if they would throw Hamels like an inning or so since he only threw 75 pitches, especially if its like 2-2 after 10 or 11 innings and Lidge and Madsen have been used

WTF was I thinking? CH obviously cant reenter a game he has left, wow, I needed a nap

It's been an awful last few nights as a Rays fan. But I'd like to think that this entire weather-related debacle somehow favors Tampa Bay a little bit. I have nothing concrete to go on, it just seems like it might.

Let's just bring this thing back to St. Pete.

"God has always been on the Rays side," reliever Trever Miller said. "As soon as we kicked the devil out, He's always been on our side."

I quote that as a joke, but with all the lucky weird things that have happened to the Rays this year, I can't help but think they have a chance to still win this Series.

Hopefully they play this game tonight. With these games starting so late, it'll be nice to watch a mini game tonight.

Another reason to root for the Rays:

If the Rays end up winning the World Series, Tampa Bay area Hardee's restaurants will celebrate by giving away

free Little Thickburgers to all customers from 2-6 the day after the clincher.