It's time for a New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could, I'd buy all you Obama supporters this for Christmas.

I drive a Honda Pilot and I'm so tempted to get an Obama bumper sticker and put it on the back of my car so it will read "Obama is my co-Pilot" just to piss off all of the people who think that I think he's the second coming or something.

Prescient "Batman" episode nails the Obama-McCain race

01:32 PM PT, Oct 20 2008

Penguinformayor Thanks to YouTube, the below video of Batman's televised mayoral debate with the Penguin, from the "Dizzoner the Penguin" episode of Adam West's 1966 "Batman," is gaining new currency.

The clip, first uploaded in early 2007, has been picked up by several political commentators and compared to recent debates between Senators John McCain and Barack Obama.

Besides being an amusing clip on its own -- the great Burgess Meredith turns in a virtuoso performance as the Bilious Bird -- viewers have noted some chuckle-worthy parallels between this fictional debate and the real thing.

In last week's face-off, moderator Bob Schieffer asked the candidates about the smears and personal attacks that have become a significant part of the discourse as the campaign winds up.

"I think the tone of this campaign could've been very different," said McCain at the time. "And the fact is it's gotten pretty tough, and I regret some of the negative aspects of both campaigns."

Likewise, the Penguin starts out humbly enough: "Friends and fellow citizens, I want to give you my solemn word that there will be no mudslinging in this campaign. ... I intend to stick to the issues."

But with that disclaimer out of the way, the Penguin wastes no time in getting to his point. "Now what are the issues? There's only one issue: Batman!"

"I suggest that behind that mask, Batman is, in reality, a dangerous criminal. Why else does he wear a mask? Why else does he conceal his past? Would you think about that a moment, my friends? Whenever you've seen Batman, who's he with? Criminals, that's who!"

McCain makes a similar pivot, this time to the controversial subjects of Obama's association with former radical Bill Ayers, a founder of Weather Underground who McCain called a "washed up terrorist."

"Senator Obama chose to associate with a guy who in 2001 said he wished he'd bombed more." McCain then draws links between Obama and the community organization ACORN, which, he says, is "maybe perpetrating one of the greatest frauds in voter history in this country, maybe destroying the fabric of democracy."

It's probably a comment on the predictability of this presidential campaign that it was anticipated by a 40-year-old TV show populated by wacky caricatures. Same hack script, same hack channel.

Unfortunately, Penguin's brilliant plan hits a snag. Afraid that his lead in the polls is shrinking, he kidnaps the Board of Elections so the vote cannot be certified. This scheme backfires, and Batman turns up to rescue the hostages ("Pengy, you said we associated with criminals. So ... here we are." BOOM! POW! WHAMM!).

Batman is elected but resigns to allow the current mayor to keep his position. But not before one of the major parties calls to offer him the presidential candidacy for 1968 -- exactly 40 Novembers ago.

Exclaims Robin: "Bulging ballot boxes, Batman, that was some offer!"

And don't ignore the fact that if somebody wasn't buying all the merchandise with Obama portrayed as a Messianic figure it wouldn't be on the market.

I say this completely without irony: They really sell this stuff?? No, really, I'm asking. Because I haven't seen it. But I also live in a cave.

I'm as baffled as anybody as to why the messianic stuff would exist, godless secular-humanists that we are. I believe the "transformational" nature that has been referred to is that he doesn't present himself as a rigid my-way-or-f#ck-off partisan that we're all used to. In theory, he should be more capable of cross-party appeal than Hillary would have been, or certainly Palin (laughs), and this current version of hyper-partisan McCain.

George Bush came to Washington on a similar narrative, vowing to "change the tone" of politics. We just didn't realize at the time he intended to change it for the worse. I guess we forgot to ask him the follow-up question on that one. Silly us.

However, the Politician as Messiah stuff really disturbs me. It doesn't take much to read between the lines of the description of his being a 'transformational figure'.

And don't ignore the fact that if somebody wasn't buying all the merchandise with Obama portrayed as a Messianic figure it wouldn't be on the market.

Really - I have to second q23 here. Where do you see any Obama-as-Messiah products actually available for sale?

I have to disagree, especially if you're a Michigan fan :cheekkiss

Well, at least I didn't vote in OH in '00 and '04, so yeah, screw those guys! :lol

'08 might be different. I'm not betting on an O victory yet...it will be a nailbiter.

Well, at least I didn't vote in OH in '00 and '04, so yeah, screw those guys! :lol

'08 might be different. I'm not betting on an O victory yet...it will be a nailbiter.

Even if Obama wins in Ohio, Michigan fans will still find a way to spin it to make them look better.

That's it? Really? Jesse Jackson? And a Rolling Stone cover with a title that nods at Star Wars?

I guess those of us who don't generally vote Republican are basically numb to the concept of certain people saying that certain politicians are divinely inspired. It is not uncommon. It is unusual for it to be said about somebody that I am actually voting for, though.

Has the "what if Ditka ran in 2004" discussion been brought up here? Supposedly, Ditka was the GOP's original choice to replace kinkmeister Jack Ryan in the Illinois senate race.

Speaking of people who are worshipped, I think it's fair to say that Ditka would have beaten Obama handily...

Well, we have had 8 years of Satan, so now we need a Messiah.

k1small.jpg

Support whomever or whatever you want...just calm down!

That's it? Really? Jesse Jackson? And a Rolling Stone cover with a title that nods at Star Wars?

Don't forget the German mag addressing the Messiah factor. :unsure

Look - I'm no fan of the whole 'Messiah' thing, but it's not what Obama is about.

I guess those of us who don't generally vote Republican are basically numb to the concept of certain people saying that certain politicians are divinely inspired. It is not uncommon. It is unusual for it to be said about somebody we on the left are voting for, though.

k1small.jpg

Enough frivolity.

We are NOT amused

victoria.jpg

Look - I'm no fan of the whole 'Messiah' thing, but it's not what Obama is about.

Agreed. I'm totally okay with lampooning it. Its ridiculous and not at all relevant to the campaign, imo. There are plenty of reasons to vote for the guy and that particular one has never really crossed my mind.