It's time for a New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could pleasing his party cost McCain the election?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/20/bor...lumn/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The news over the weekend that former Republican secretary of state and ex-chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Colin Powell is endorsing Barack Obama was hardly unexpected.

Powell had been courted by Obama for months, as the junior senator from Illinois sought him out for advice on everything from Iraq to North Korea and all things geopolitical.

And while Powell counts himself as a friend of Sen. John McCain, there was always foreboding in the McCain camp that Powell would, in the end, gravitate towards Obama and his historic candidacy.

Yet the Powell endorsement was not just a pro-forma, "he's my guy" announcement. Instead, in supporting Obama, Powell decided to get specific -- and not only about McCain's uneven performance during the financial crisis and his judgment (or lack thereof) in choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate.

In fact, what was most notable was Powell's dire assessment of the state of the GOP: "The party has moved even further to the right," he said, adding that, "over the last seven weeks, the approach of the Republican Party and Mr. McCain has become narrower and narrower."

That's the key indictment, and the key problem, for the GOP. While the political world shifts towards independent voters -- who, by nature, are more about pragmatism than dogma -- the Republican Party remains unable to redefine itself back into a working majority. Watch the effect of Powell's endorsementVideo

Is it still the party of Ronald Reagan? Or has it moved beyond Reagan's innate optimism and into a party that wants to build fences and demand ideological purity? Or can it come up with new ideas that could eventually provide some rejuvenation?

Truth is, after more than a decade of political dominance, the GOP is out of steam and on the verge of a civil war -- with factions splitting among the foreign-policy hardliners, the tax-cutters and the social conservatives.

What's more, the party that had distinguished itself in the 1990s era of Newt Gingrich and his revolutionaries is now suffering from the political gout that afflicts the powerful when they get too comfortable.

It happened to the Democrats when Gingrich and his backbenchers took over the House in 1994; they rightly retreated to find themselves again. Some Republican thinkers are now begging their party to do the same.

In a way, the GOP's problems are precisely why McCain got nominated: He was the last man standing in an array of candidates who represented all parts of the GOP ideological spectrum.

The GOP brand may have been tarnished, but McCain's appeal was that he wasn't really a part of that brand. He was the maverick, the guy who took on his own party and the special interests. The appeal went beyond the GOP. Independent voters liked the sound of it, too.

But McCain had to get nominated in the GOP, and the rest is history. And now McCain and Obama are locked in a struggle for those independent voters, and McCain is suffering.

In the end, as Powell pointed out, the choice of Palin -- which did so much to unify the base of the party -- may well be the moment those independent voters decided to look somewhere else.

Powell may have been speaking for those folks when he called the GOP preoccupation with William Ayers as "demagoguery" and a distraction from the serious issues of the day.

John Avlon, an expert on independent voters, points out in Monday's Wall Street Journal that they have grown exponentially in the past couple of decades.

"Now, two out of five Americans can't name anything they like about the Democrats," he wrote, "and 50 percent say the same about Republicans."

They hate pork-barrel projects -- hence, McCain. Yet they're not social conservatives, but Palin is -- big-time.

So in trying to "balance" his ticket for the GOP, McCain may well have thrown away his greatest asset -- this appeal to voters who thrive on unification, not division.

It's Powell's key point and certainly drove his vote. The fear among Republicans is Powell was not only speaking for himself.

This is what all the stink about ACORN is really all about -- disenfranchising voters:

Fears of fraud plague voters, counters alike

October 19, 2008

By John Byrne Post-Tribune staff writer

CROWN POINT -- Ethel Graves just wants to vote.

But like thousands of other would-be voters in Lake County, Graves has gotten swept up in a nationwide controversy over alleged voter fraud by the community organization ACORN.

But like thousands of other would-be voters in Lake County, Graves has gotten swept up in a nationwide controversy over alleged voter fraud by the community organization ACORN.

After moving to Gary from Chicago in July, Graves was approached outside the city's Bureau of Motor Vehicles office by an ACORN canvasser who asked if she wanted to register to vote in the November general election.

"I said, 'Oh, good, you're saving me a trip (to the voter office in Crown Point),' " Graves recalled.

But nearly three months -- and a trip to Crown Point -- later, Graves still was waiting to receive her voter registration card last week.

That's because election officials stopped processing the applications submitted by ACORN amid accusations that information was falsified on hundreds of the forms.

Election workers now are culling through about 5,000 ACORN applications, trying to figure out which are fraudulent, assistant registration administrator Ruthann Hoagland said.

Based on early estimates, Hoagland said about half have some kind of omission or obvious error. The forms with no obvious problems will get processed.

Another 20,000 registration applications not submitted by ACORN also must be checked and entered in Lake County, with the hotly contested election two weeks away and early voting already taking place at four locations.

Graves, who is handicapped, wants badly to vote before Nov. 4 to avoid the long lines predicted at the polls. But she can't unless she's registered.

Hoagland asked for patience.

"When people get their acknowledgement cards in the mail, they can take that with them to an early voting site and cast a ballot," she said.

Hoagland said the registration process in Lake County has been slowed by the extra scrutiny workers have had to give the ACORN applications.

The voter registration division at ACORN -- the Association of Community Organization for Reform Now -- is new to Indiana. The group targets battleground states, where a few votes one way or another could tip an election.

The Hoosier state has been securely Republican for so long, ACORN election organizers haven't bothered to plant a flag here.

But this year, Indiana is in play, and ACORN organizers brought with them to Lake County the controversy that has dogged the group in other states.

Lake County Republican Chairman John Curley has cited ACORN voter registration fraud as a main reason remote early voting locations should not be established in Gary, Hammond and East Chicago.

Eric Weathersby, director of the Northwest Indiana chapter of ACORN, counters the group caught nearly all the problematic applications itself and brought them to election officials' attention.

ACORN canvassers -- mostly Gary residents hired at $8 an hour for part-time work -- likely falsified application information so they would have something to submit to supervisors at the end of the day, Weathersby said.

"They wanted to try to bring something in. Some people are not personable," he said. "They wanted to work. But to approach people on the street, they couldn't do it.

"You're talking about a city with double-digit unemployment, where people need the work. But some took on a task they weren't prepared to handle."

Jonah Goldman, director of the nonpartisan Election Protection Coalition, said election officials are obliged to check the accuracy of applications.

But any delay in processing registrations likely will cause more election problems than close scrutiny of the ACORN applications will prevent, Goldman said.

"Election fraud just isn't the motivation for these false applications," Goldman said. "But if people's registrations aren't getting processed, it's potentially going to cause huge problems on Election Day. More people will turn up at the polls, and more people will be forced to cast provisional ballots.

"You also could see people turned away at the polls, in situations where poll workers have not been trained properly on how to deal with these situations."

Law enforcement officials, meanwhile, are preparing to investigate ACORN's registration process.

Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter said he's awaiting evidence of vote fraud linked to the ACORN voter drive, which should be forthcoming in the next few days from Secretary of State Todd Rokita.

Assuming the evidence warrants further investigation, Carter said his office may partner with Indiana State Police to review the allegations.

Weathersby said ACORN looks forward to any investigation that will clear the group of wrongdoing.

Contact John Byrne at 648-3072 or jbyrne@post-trib.com. Comment on this story at www.post-trib.com.

I actually think that this little thread in this little message board pretty closely approximates the electorate. I apologize if I left out anyone -- let me know and I'll edit with your preference.

Righties (for the most part):

Tweedling

Jules

Ikol

BleedOrange

JakobN

kwall

2cool (or whatever it is :lol)

Centerists/Independents

JUDE

BB1313

Uncle Wilco

Lefties:

FHF

Solace

Flick

Louie

PATM

So let me get this straight: your career is based on the tax code being complicated, and you don't want to simplify it?

Is that what you got out of what I wrote? Interesting. I'm all for simplyfying the code, I'm against stupidfying it, which is what flat tax and the so called fair use tax are all about. Regardless of what they do to the tax code everyone with $$ to spare will have their hand in the writing of it so it will always end up just as complex as ever. Just the nature of what is being taxed or how it is being taxed will change.

I actually think that this little thread in this little message board pretty closely approximates the electorate. I apologize if I left out anyone -- let me know and I'll edit with your preference.

Tweedling

Jules

Ikol

BleedOrange

JakobN

kwall

Centerists/Independents

JUDE

BB1313

Uncle Wilco

Lefties:

FHF

Solace

Flick

Louie

PATM

I am a good old-fashioned New Dealer.

Tweedling

Jules

Ikol

BleedOrange

JakobN

kwall

Centerists/Independents

JUDE

BB1313

Uncle Wilco

Lefties:

FHF

Solace

Flick

Louie

PATM

McCain takes a major gamble.

McCain Giving Up on Colorado

CNN reports that top officials of Sen. John McCain's campaign are "making tough decisions" as they now see Colorado, New Mexico and Iowa no longer winnable.

Instead, the campaign's "risky strategy" is counting on Florida, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Virginia, and a comeback in Pennsylvania.

The McCain campaign responds: "We see the race tightening both internally and in public polling. We are within striking distance in the key battleground states we need to win."

Given Obama is up 14 points in Pennsylvania, and doing nearly as well in Virginia -- as well as trailing in N.C., Ohio and Florida -- this is shooting craps.

Breaking news on CNN that Obama will miss some upcoming campaign events to visit his ailing grandmother in Hawaii.

vibes to his granny!

i just got in invite to an event here in VA on Wednesday. I wonder if it is being canceled.

Is that what you got out of what I wrote? Interesting. I'm all for simplyfying the code, I'm against stupidfying it, which is what flat tax and the so called fair use tax are all about. Regardless of what they do to the tax code everyone with $$ to spare will have their hand in the writing of it so it will always end up just as complex as ever. Just the nature of what is being taxed or how it is being taxed will change.

Maybe it'll always end up getting more complex, but why not start with a clean slate every now and then? Shouldn't there be a limit to how complex it gets?

OK, I think I got most everyone now.

Tweedling

Jules

Ikol

BleedOrange

JakobN

kwall

JUDE

Centerists/Independents

BB1313

Uncle Wilco

Lefties:

FHF

Solace

Flick

Louie

PATM

Tweedling

Jules

Ikol

BleedOrange

JakobN

kwall

Centerists/Independents

JUDE

BB1313

Uncle Wilco