It's time for a New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be argued that the pragmatics that our system of government is heavily weighted towards pork and lobbyists, ultimately

make for very little difference between what one party can accomplish over the other as regards your laundry

list of things that should/shouldn't be approved based on which side of the aisle one agrees with.

I'll take that little difference of what they will do and couple it with what one party won't do as well.

Huh, you've posted about 70 x's in the last two days on taxes and you don't care about them?
Confession: I don't really care that much about the tax thing. I definitely favor McCain's plan, but I'm not losing sleep at night over the potential Obama plan. The other differences, expressed more eloquently by Ikol in the previous thread, are more important to me. I also just don't trust Obama, and sometimes I think he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I trust this was vague enough for all of you.

I said I prefer the McCain plan, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If they had the exact same tax plans, I would still be voting for McCain.

I said I prefer the McCain plan, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If they had the exact same tax plans, I would still be voting for McCain.

Because you prefer to fund war instead of programs within our borders.

And you live in Ill. so no biggie.

Because you prefer to fund war instead of programs within our borders.

And you live in Ill. so no biggie.

Whereas you only like to declare war on strawmen.

I benefit more personally from McCain's plan.

Me too, but I'm still voting for Obama.

I just think Obama has a better plan for the economy and I like his style as opposed to McCain's hot headedness. I think we'd get a lot farther with foreign relations under Obama than McCain. I also don't like the whole "we need to win in Iraq" thing. Enough with this war, bring our troops home sooner than later.

too funny. my fraternity alumni message board has had nary a peep about the election and just today a thread devoted to it was opened up w/ a decent % of the guys backing mccain. same banter about the economic stuff, except w/ a higher % of judes than john smith's. :lol

too funny. my fraternity alumni message board has had nary a peep about the election and just today a thread devoted to it was opened up w/ a decent % of the guys backing mccain. same banter about the economic stuff, except w/ a higher % of judes than john smith's. :lol

May I see some pics of these dudes? Ya know, the ones from way back, perhaps after the bars close? :shifty

main difference being that the ticket is voluntary.

i'm not convinced of that. similarly, if i'm not convinced that mezzanine is that much better than balcony, i'll choose to pay the balcony price.

So is the ticket to the US voluntary. There is nothing on earth forcing anyone to stay in this country or even a particular state. not even in the perfect mythical 1950's when tax rates were over 90% at the top were people required to stay. No we all have the option of moving to whatever country will have us or to re-patriate to one of our ancesteral homelands. I think it was republicans who for the period 2001 - 2006 were continaully telling people if they don't like it leave, and of course at other periods in our history too. I won't go that far I'll just say the options are always on the table.

I would venture to say that there is nothing on earth or in the heavans that would get to vote for a democrat. If there is,what would it be? Only if he were a republican?

From McCain's FLorida FInance co-chair (Classy guy). If this were an OBama guy msending the joke about the McCains it would be leading every major networks news tonight and Fox news for the next week or two.

Top Tampa GOP Figure Circulates Joke About Killing Obama

Posted Oct 15, 2008 by William March

Updated Oct 15, 2008 at 05:58 PM

Al Austin, a longtime, high-level Republican fundraiser from Tampa, today sent to his list of political contacts an e-mail containing a joke that refers to the assassination of Barack Obama.

When asked about the e-mail, Austin said it was a mistake and apologized and that he wouldn

Well, in that case, I don't believe I was for the war and occupation of Iraq anymore than I am for talking shit about Russia, Iran, Venezuela, Spain, probably France at some point. Who else will McBomb set his sights on? Go back to Vietnam and nuke em? What else?

I think you misunderstood my point. Attacking a strawman means you present the other side's argument as a weak caricature of the actual argument (eg McCain supporters only want to fund the war and nothing domestic, Retardicans, McDumb, etc.) and then attack that instead of their actual argument. "Declaring war on strawman" was just another way of saying "attacking strawman" and has nothing to do with your foreign policy positions.

I haven't read any of these election threads but I did want to let you all know that there was a line around the block this evening at one local voter registration facility. I can only imagine that's what going on all over. Today is the last day here in Massachusetts to sign up (not sure about other states).

It makes me proud to know that people are taking this seriously and making their voice heard :dancing

i'll probably get laughed off the board for this but am saying it anyway. i live in a neighborhood where, though we respect each other's privacy, we kind of look out for each other at the same time. there are a couple of people who don't give a damn about anyone except themselves and their family, but most of us are more than willing to help each other out -- whether it's by offering meals when a house floods, showing up at a town council meeting to support someone getting shafted by an outdated ordinance, or, my favorite this year, just forking over an unneeded strip of land so a neighbor could make a safe walkway to his back door. i like living in this kind of neighborhood, and until the 1980s it felt like i was living in that kind of country too. the country hasn't felt that way for a while. some kind of "mine mine mine" spirit started poisoning the atmosphere and luxuries turned into necessities to be guarded with one's life. i'd love to see that go away.

i'll probably get laughed off the board for this but am saying it anyway. i live in a neighborhood where, though we respect each other's privacy, we kind of look out for each other at the same time. there are a couple of people who don't give a damn about anyone except themselves and their family, but most of us are more than willing to help each other out -- whether it's by offering meals when a house floods, showing up at a town council meeting to support someone getting shafted by an outdated ordinance, or, my favorite this year, just forking over an unneeded strip of land so a neighbor could make a safe walkway to his back door. i like living in this kind of neighborhood, and until the 1980s it felt like i was living in that kind of country too. the country hasn't felt that way for a while. some kind of "mine mine mine" spirit started poisoning the atmosphere and luxuries turned into necessities to be guarded with one's life. i'd love to see that go away.

That's it - greed. I think someone else mentioned that word around here somewhere today.

About 200K Ohio voters have records discrepancies

By TERRY KINNEY, Associated Press Writer 53 minutes ago

CINCINNATI - Close to one in every three newly registered Ohio voters will end up on court-ordered lists being sent to county election boards because they have some discrepancy in their records, an elections spokesman said Wednesday.

Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner estimated that an initial review found that about 200,000 newly registered voters reported information that did not match motor-vehicle or Social Security records, Brunner spokesman Kevin Kidder said. Some discrepancies could be as simple as a misspelling, while others could be more significant.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati sided with the Ohio Republican Party on Tuesday and ordered Brunner to set up a system that provides those names to county elections boards. The GOP contends the information will help prevent fraud.

"Things already are in motion to comply," Kidder said. "We're working to establish these processes on how we can make this work. The computer work actually began last week."

About 666,000 Ohioans have registered to vote since January.

Brunner previously cross-checked new-voter registrations with databases run by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicle and the Social Security Administration and made the results available online, but the 6th Circuit said the information was not accessible in a way that would help county election boards ferret out mismatches.

Brunner, a Democrat, told The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer on Wednesday that she is concerned the court decision is a veiled attempt at disenfranchising voters. Brunner said she'll urge counties not to force these people to use provisional ballots.

The court gave Brunner until Friday to get election boards the information but it was unclear whether that deadline would be met. The court set no penalty for missing the deadline.

County election officials were trying to determine Wednesday how they will respond once they get the information.

"I'm very concerned with these new requirements as we get closer to Election Day," said Steve Harsman, director of the Montgomery County Board of Elections in Dayton. He said his staff already is working 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

"It's clearly going to have an impact in regard to resources we have to expend to resolve discrepancies," said Jeff Hastings, chairman of the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections in Cleveland.

"We've had about 100,000 (registrations) since January and of those about 34,000 since the primary. We will do whatever is required of us."

Also Wednesday, the Ohio Republican Party said it has filed public records requests with all 88 counties for copies of forms submitted by newly registered voters, especially those who registered and cast an absentee ballot on the same day during a one-week window earlier this month.

Brunner has said that 13,141 Ohioans registered and voted immediately during the window.

"We've seen reports of fraudulent registrations, and we want to see those forms first-hand," said Jason Mauk, the state GOP's executive director.

Associated Press writers Jim Hannah in Dayton and M.R. Kropko in Cleveland contributed to this report.