It's time for a New Election Thread

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4525220n

Joe the plumber on CBS. It is very obvious who he is for was for and always has been for as he recites many talking points during the interview. Towards the end he compares Obama to Sammy Davis Jr. Also Katie flat out asks him if he earns that much money and he says that he hopes too. Also he wants to buy this business, but there is no way to guarantee that the business will still be profitable next year with the condition of the economy being what it is.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Robin Hood stole from greedy rich people and redistributed it to the peasants, so to speak, so if he's calling us peasants, I kind of resent that," Wurzelbacher said.

WTF??

I'm going to be Joe the Plumber for Halloween.

"Robin Hood stole from greedy rich people and redistributed it to the peasants, so to speak, so if he's calling us peasants, I kind of resent that," Wurzelbacher said.

everyone knows that the proper conservative response to robin hood is that he stole from greedy tax collectors and returned the money to the people. get it straight, joe.

Also he wants to buy this business, but there is no way to guarantee that the business will still be profitable next year with the condition of the economy being what it is.

Welcome to the real world Joe. There are no guarantees in small business. While there will be some niche markets that prosper in an economic downturn most will not. Blaming your ability to not open a business on taxes? Yeah, maybe partly to blame, but not in and of itself.

If you are turning a 250g profit in a recession and you are complaining? WTF. As Barack said, what about your employees? What he didn't say, "what about your current and potential customers?" If 95% of them get a tax cut they will be more apt to afford you service. Instead of coping with shitty plumbing problems like a dripping sink, poorly functioning water heater, etc. they can fix this shit and allow you and your employees to keep the till going. If no one has money, you don't have money either, dickjob Joe.

dickjob Joe.

HA! I can hear whichever McCain campaign worker that 'hired' Joe now saying to him, "You did a real dick job, Joe".

I would venture to say that there is nothing on earth or in the heavans that would get to vote for a democrat. If there is,what would it be? Only if he were a republican?

I voted for Daley when I lived in the city.

After last night, I would like to see Barack do something like FDR's fireside chats as president. He explains things well.

He does speak well, but I don't think he explains things very well. There's a difference. Just my opinion.

Joe 'The Plumber' not actually a licensed plumber:

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...0160418/-1/NEWS

Also a rumor on teh internets that Joe (The Plumber) is kin to the son-in-law of Charles Keating.

Oh man.... who cares!?! Even if the dude was making everything up to try to trip up Obama, he still raises an issue which is obviously of confusion to even some very smart people on this board. The Dems should take the opportunity to discuss the issue raised to open debate so we can, as a country, try to vet various plans to determine what is best for the country, not try to simply discredit the guy. Where does that get us? Just like when Palin was chosen, the bloggers and other pundits seize on the petty rather than the legitimate issues.

Oh man.... who cares!?! Even if the dude was making everything up to try to trip up Obama, he still raises an issue which is obviously of confusion to even some very smart people on this board. The Dems should take the opportunity to discuss the issue raised to open debate so we can, as a country, try to vet various plans to determine what is best for the country, not try to simply discredit the guy. Where does that get us? Just like when Palin was chosen, the bloggers and other pundits seize on the petty rather than the legitimate issues.

because if he was truly a plant, then that says a lot about McCain's campaign and desperation.

i don't see how his issue is all that confusing?

other than the fact that Joe 'The Plumber' doesn't have the business mind to realize that the only way he'd ever be affected by the 3% increase on incomes $250k and up is if his NET INCOME after paying his employees was over $250,000... if that were ever the case, then i'm sorry, he's $150k+ away from being considered "middle class" in 2008.

not to mention all of the tax breaks small businesses are allowed to claim... (i should know, i'm in that boat and it's quite nice)

because if he was truly a plant, then that says a lot about McCain's campaign and desperation.

i don't see how his issue is all that confusing?

other than the fact that Joe 'The Plumber' doesn't have the business mind to realize that the only way he'd ever be affected by the 3% increase on incomes $250k and up is if his NET INCOME after paying his employees was over $250,000... if that were ever the case, then i'm sorry, he's $150k+ away from being considered "middle class" in 2008.

not to mention all of the tax breaks small businesses are allowed to claim... (i should know, i'm in that boat and it's quite nice)

exactly... I'm guessing that his little business is not making a profit of $250k or more. They may have revenues in that area but not net profit/income.

exactly... I'm guessing that his little business is not making a profit of $250k or more. They may have revenues in that area but not net profit/income.

I think that is the main source of confusion. Profit, not total income.

I think that is the main source of confusion. Profit, not total income.

anyone who doesn't know the difference between the two shouldn't probably own a small business IMO

what do i know, i'm elitist :P

Welcome to the real world Joe. There are no guarantees in small business. While there will be some niche markets that prosper in an economic downturn most will not. Blaming your ability to not open a business on taxes? Yeah, maybe partly to blame, but not in and of itself.

If you are turning a 250g profit in a recession and you are complaining? WTF. As Barack said, what about your employees? What he didn't say, "what about your current and potential customers?" If 95% of them get a tax cut they will be more apt to afford you service. Instead of coping with shitty plumbing problems like a dripping sink, poorly functioning water heater, etc. they can fix this shit and allow you and your employees to keep the till going. If no one has money, you don't have money either, dickjob Joe.

Especially with a business like a plumbing business. I'm not exactly sure what kind of jobs they do, but if they rely on home repair and the economy is going down, their business would naturally suffer as more people might opt to di it themsleves. If it is new home construction well, that speaks for it's self. The safest bet woudl be industrial woork, and even that is not guaranteed to keep going as the economy gets worse.

Propaganda campaign is workign well, from USA Today...

Pushing risky loans was the root cause of crisis

David W. Thornton - Villa Rica, Ga.

I was disappointed that the article "How Congress set the stage for a meltdown" gave only one brief mention of the Community Reinvestment Act (News, Cover story, Monday).

(On the home front: Some type of foreclosure notice went to 303,879 properties in August, a 27% increase from August 2007, according to RealtyTrac / Kimberly White, Bloomberg News)

While derivatives and Fannie Mae certainly played a role in the crisis, the root cause of the problem was not how the mortgage-backed securities were packaged or who they were sold to; it was that the government pressured banks to give mortgages to people who were poor credit risks, many of whom then defaulted when the housing bubble began to burst.

The CRA was signed by President Carter and strengthened by President Clinton. The act pressured banks to make these risky loans and allowed radical groups such as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), now under federal investigation for voter fraud in several states, to push banks to make the subprime mortgage loans.

USA TODAY did its readers a disservice by dismissing all this out of hand with the admonition by Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa: "Don't pay attention to Wall Street when it comes to issues like this." Attitudes like that are what got us in the current mess.

Of course it was the democrats all along. But I wonder why this did nto happen before now? One woudl think the loans fromt he Carter era would be paid off by now.

Funny thing overheard in the office. A co worker who likes Palin was talkign about that dow thing and how she keeps getting notices about how bad its doing. then this person proceeds to tell another co worker that people keep talking about a recession or something, I don't knwo what that is, but I think its all because the press keep publicizing bad news. Sheesh. Good thing her palin vote won't count because we live in Illinois. Talk about dumbasses.

One thing I noticed during the debate is how the two responded to negative information in different ways. When McCain would present info that was supposed to discredit O's character Obama would use response time to explain, point by point how McCain's attack was false.

On the other hand, when Obama brought something negative to the table about McCain's policies or voting record he would make a funny face and change the subject to something else negative about Obama.

When the moderator asked them about their VP candidates I almost lost it. Comparing Biden to Palin is a pretty funny conversation....... they didn't really take that all the places it could go. They were a little too professional to turn down that conversational road.

Could someone please explain to me why the press, and, apparently, at least one photographer, was at this dude's house, taking photos of him watching the debate? It is obvious someone tipped them to the fact that McCain would be making him a central talking point.

Joe the Plumber was on the front page of yesterday's New York Post, so he was a known entity.