It's time for a New Election Thread

One thing I noticed during the debate is how the two responded to negative information in different ways. When McCain would present info that was supposed to discredit O's character Obama would use response time to explain, point by point how McCain's attack was false.

On the other hand, when Obama brought something negative to the table about McCain's policies or voting record he would make a funny face and change the subject to something else negative about Obama.

I said this at lunch today, almost word for word.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wished for 2 things while watching the debate. I wanted Obama to directly ask MCain this, "John, do you believe that I 'pal around with terrorists'?" If McCain had said, "No" then I wanted Obama to say, "Then John, can you please explain to the electorate why you allow your running mate to accuse me of palling around with terrorists". He was cool enough to pull it off.

I didn't want him to but i thought how awesome it would have been if out of nowhere Obama said, "John, I have to say that you are a creepy looking motherfucker. What do you think, Bob?".

I also wanted Obama to address the cries of "Kill him" at Palin rallies, when McCain was going on and on about how Obama has spent more money on negative ads than anyone in history. Or to bring up the Obama racist monkey thing. Really put him on the spot for things his campaign is either tacitly accepting or downright encouraging...

I didn't watch either of the last two debates. Neither candidate has said much recently that I haven't heard before and I'm personally taking a giant step back from being consumed by the horse race. Can we please just get this over with? :frusty

are you just trying to start shit?

I could've done it a little less snarkily, but kind of. I just haven't seen too much talk about it from the people who were big on saying Bush stole the two elections. Shouldn't they be concerned that the FBI is investigating a pro-democratic group for voter fraud?

I didn't watch either of the last two debates. Neither candidate has said much recently that I haven't heard before and I'm personally taking a giant step back from being consumed by the horse race. Can we please just get this over with? :frusty

You missed some good shit last night. Light years better than the other debates.

So to all of you guys crying about voter fraud and suppression, how does ACORN make you feel? Is Rove behind that?

I'm still not clear on what ACORN is doing and what, if any, connection to either campaign it has. McCain has also worked with ACORN if I'm not mistaken. If there is any fraud or voter suppression, that is unacceptable and those behind it -- yes, even those in the Obama campaign should that become apparent -- should be dealt with harshly. I don't just want MY guy to win at any cost. I want the guy to win that most of county supports.

So to all of you guys crying about voter fraud and suppression, how does ACORN make you feel? Is Rove behind that?

Different, but related. First, FWIW, and ACORN fact sheet:

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2008/10...and_alleged.php

I honestly know very little about ACORN. From what I little I know about such operations (Kate worked for ACT and with SEIU one summer), it rings true.

The ACORN stuff isn't a big concern because simply put this type of fraud cannot sway an election. It just isn't far reaching enough, especially since it was done not by people intending to commit voter fraud (which is not the same as voter registration fraud) but by people who were trying to make some extra money by filling out some extra forms.. Certainly anyone who committed voter registration fraud should pay whatever legal price there is to pay for such a thing, but the reason you're not seeing the concern is that it just isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of the election.

Officials: FBI investigates ACORN for voter fraud

By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer 19 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The FBI is investigating whether the community activist group ACORN helped foster voter registration fraud around the nation before the presidential election.

A senior law enforcement official confirmed the investigation to The Associated Press. A second senior law enforcement official says the FBI was looking at results of inquiries in several states, including a raid on ACORN's office in Las Vegas, for any evidence of a coordinated national effort.

Both officials spoke on condition of anonymity because Justice Department regulations forbid discussing ongoing investigations particularly so close to an election.

Two spokesmen for ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, on Thursday said the FBI has not contacted the group.

"ACORN has not been notified that we are the target of an investigation by any authorities

I'm far less concerned about voter fraud (meaning, people registering and voting illegally) than I am about things like electronic systems with no paper trail, which could be either faulty or intentionally tampered with, with no way of ensuring an accurate vote count; and unethical vote-suppression tactics. I see the voter fraud issue as much less likely to affect the results of any election.

Also, it seems to me that the folks blaming ACORN for this are scraping for something to rail against.

I'm far less concerned about voter fraud (meaning, people registering and voting illegally) than I am about things like electronic systems with no paper trail, which could be either faulty or intentionally tampered with, with no way of ensuring an accurate vote count; and unethical vote-suppression tactics. I see the voter fraud issue as much less likely to affect the results of any election.

Also, it seems to me that the folks blaming ACORN for this are scraping for something to rail against.

I am surprised any place has paper voting now - where I vote, we only have the electronic voting system.

We have paper ballots, which are scanned electronically. So the vote count is immediate, but in case of a challenge to the results, the paper ballots are still available for hand counting.

ACORN pays people to register them. They are paid by the hour but have to reach a quota. Some lazy people wrote down fake names to meet that quota. ACORN fired them. In many states, ACORN is required by law to submit all forms so that elections officials make the call, not them. In many cases ACORN flagged the obviously fake ones before handing them in. This really isn't an issue. Voter purging is much worse. A fake person is not going to show up to vote, but a real person with a name that is uniquely spelled or has moved around a lot may not be allowed to vote.

We have paper ballots, which are scanned electronically. So the vote count is immediate, but in case of a challenge to the results, the paper ballots are still available for hand counting.

We have some sort of touch screen deal - I don't recall what it looks like exactly.

We are actually switching to the paper scantron ballots across the state after we had a mixture of touchscreen and lever booths last time around.

ACORN pays people to register them. They are paid by the hour but have to reach a quota. Some lazy people wrote down fake names to meet that quota. ACORN fired them. In many states, ACORN is required by law to submit all forms so that elections officials make the call, not them. In many cases ACORN flagged the obviously fake ones before handing them in. This really isn't an issue. Voter purging is much worse. A fake person is not going to show up to vote, but a real person with a name that is uniquely spelled or has moved around a lot may not be allowed to vote.

That's the key difference here - ACORN brought it to the attention of election officials in the first place when they noticed the bogus registration cards, and I've heard of no evidence that they're trying to hide anything from the FBI.

The Ohio primary this spring was my first experience with a touchscreen. It was okay except for the part about not really knowing if anything was recorded or not when I was done.

Previously, in Connecticut, I used a lever system that was developed in the Bronze Age. The first time I used one of those, it made such a racket when I pulled the lever that I wasn't sure if I had voted correctly or if I had broken it.

In college I always did absentee ballots since I was out of my home state. Paper ballots are nice. Unless you don't trust the Post Office to not lose them. Or somebody on the receiving end to burn/shred or otherwise discard of them. Paper is a pretty fragile thing, if you think about it.

I can't think of a foolproof method of voting.

I am surprised any place has paper voting now - where I vote, we only have the electronic voting system.

Some electronic voting machines produce a paper trail. For ours (in orange county, ca), when you cast your vote a receipt is printed that you have to confirm accurately reflects your vote.

You don't get to take the receipt with you, but at least you know there's a paper record of your vote associated with the machine - so the electonic totals can be audited if necessary.