It's time for a New Election Thread

Seeing Obama saturday in KC! He's in St. Louie in the am.

This Saturday, October 18th, please join Barack Obama in Kansas City, MO, where he will talk about his vision for creating the kind of change we need.

Change We Need Rally

with Barack Obama

National World War I Museum

at Liberty Memorial

Intersection of Main St. and Memorial Dr.

Kansas City, MO

Saturday, October 18th

Gates Open: 4:00 p.m.

Dude, this election is only about Joe the plumber...or 6-pack.

We are definitely going!

How come you never hear about Joe Blow? Probably his cocaine abuse.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you misunderstood my point. Attacking a strawman means you present the other side's argument as a weak caricature of the actual argument (eg McCain supporters only want to fund the war and nothing domestic, Retardicans, McDumb, etc.) and then attack that instead of their actual argument. "Declaring war on strawman" was just another way of saying "attacking strawman" and has nothing to do with your foreign policy positions.

Well it sounded like a great analogy for our war in Iraq, forgive me for my interpretation.

And maybe I am siding w/ Obama because I perceive McCain's argument as weak.

How come you never hear about Joe Blow? Probably his cocaine abuse.

:yay

No certification for teachers?

Yes -- while certainly serving our country overseas in the military is honorable, apparently it puts you in a position of eventually "finding another line of work" (as McCain put it) when inevitably you are not able to actually effectively teach since you don't know how to. What a load of crap.

Maybe President Obama will come visit us here in Hyde Park to get some FDR vibes.

Maybe President Obama will come visit us here in Hyde Park to get some FDR vibes.

I hope so, old bean. I hope so.

It sure was odd watching the split screen during the debate. McCain looked so damn stressed out it was hard not to spot it. He looked like he has come to the realization that his party is running the show not him, and he doesn't dig what this has all turned into. Just my perception here.

Barack looked as unflappable as ever, smiling at McCain's remarks and his confidence was/is very reassuring.

No certification for teachers?

no shit. let's follow the logic here... service in the military (ANY service, as far as I can tell) makes you automatically qualified to be a teacher, so you don't need to pass any certification tests? You can shoot straight therefore you can teach kids geometry? WTF?

It sure was odd watching the split screen during the debate. McCain looked so damn stressed out it was hard not to spot it. He looked like he has come to the realization that his party is running the show not him, and he doesn't dig what this has all turned into. Just my perception here.

Barack looked as cool as ever, smiling at McCain's remarks and his confidence was/is very reassuring.

I found Obama's constant smiling annoying. But at least it was better than McCain's exasperated grimaces and eye rolling.

Barack looked as unflappable as ever, smiling at McCain's remarks and his confidence was/is very reassuring.

Maybe they were watching Woodstock before the debate.

I couldn't stay awake.... who won?

innocent.gif

according to the "data" on Chicago Tribune's poll, Obama won 85% to 15%.

The parts that I watched were pretty much a toss up. Obama is clearly more eloquent (McCain accused him of being eloquent as well :stunned ). I still stand STRONGLY behind the fact that we have two much, much better candidates than we had in 2004. For that, I am thankful.

Darn it! The other post was closed one post shy of 1000 replies! Soo Close. I missed the debate yesterday as I was at a town hall meeting. Did I miss any really good zingers? :dancing

Not really. McCain was definitely more aggressive but Obama laid back a bit and remained calm. The issue for McCain is that he likely didn't win any new voters yesterday. I'm sure he maid everyone in his camp happy but I don't see him picking up many new votes as a result. I didn't watch the entire thing but what I did see was a angry guy. He would avoid questions to focus on propoganda around Obama.

Thanks goodness the debates are finally over and that in the third debate they actually started to talk about something. Forget the more taxes less taxes BS. No tax proposal is going to be delivered by either of these guys without Congress so all this talk is just BS.

But finally rather than stump speeches, a few times the candidates actually just talked about stuff, such as trade policy, etc. In those moments Barack's thoughtful and reasoned statements got into territory that most voters can't understand or care about, but at least there was an actual discussion (not so much by McCain who kept falling back on campaign rhetoric) so that one could see that Barack has a grasp of the issues. McCain just sat there much of the time looking like he was about to explode and wanting to keep talking about Bill Ayers.

Mark my words, there is going to be a mini-landslide for Obama come election day. We will all be sitting here in shock when this sucker is over before the west coast is totally closed up.

Strange but true...not only did I have brunch with Bill Ayers once (guess I can't run for President), but next week I am going to visit Trinity UCC Church and monitor their federal food program. Small effing world huh??

LouieB

After last night, I would like to see Barack do something like FDR's fireside chats as president. He explains things well.
He will do that and it will be great...

Louieb is a freedom hater.
Yea.....sure I am.....

LouieB