Obama election night rally in Chicago

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Before last night I associated Grant Park only with Wilco's last show with Jay Bennett. No more.

The rally itself was in the part of the park where Radiohead had a triumphant show. The overflow was at the site of the last Jay Bennett show.

LouieB

Put this in your pipe and smoke it - many still associate Grant Park with the 1968 Democratic Convention rioting, which my father witnessed first hand as he drove along Michigan as he was leaving Medical school. He was with me at Grant Park last night, one of a number of people who probably witnessed both events. It was great seeing Chicago overcome that.

* - slight correction - most of the riots occurred in Lincoln Park, but there was some activity in Grant park with the Chicago police clubbing a teenager who was lowering an American flag and others who tried to protect him.

This is one place I can't claim to have been, but you are correct, there was violence in Lincoln Park, but "the whole World is Watching" incident was outside the Hilton (then Conrad, now Hilton and Towers.) and the famous scene in the movie "Medium Cool" was at the old bandshell which was at Hutchenson Field where Obama was last night (approximately...)

LouieB

Very cool... I dug up a nice photo comparison -

68chicago08.jpg

1968 - In Grant Park, demonstrators "take the hill" and climb onto the statue of a Civil war general after the police refuse to let them march.

slide_605_12491_large.jpg

From jambands.com

The Latest

by Staff

11/5/08

Obama Endorses Wilco

Though many of the musicians we cover regularly on the site stepped up to support Barack Obama throughout his campaign, few artists have secured as deep a connection with the President-elect as Wilco. The Chicago-bred band first befriended Obama when the Junior Senator from Illinois introduced Wilco at Farm Aid in 2005 and, since that time, the members of Wilco have played numbers benefits for the 44th U.S. President. Frontman Jeff Tweedy even championed the then presidential-hopeful on The Colbert Report last.

Jeff's brother-in-law Danny Miller discusses Election Night with the Tweedy clan here:

http://dannymiller.typepad.com/blog/2008/1...ning-after.html

Danny also thinks the chances are good for Wilco playing at the Inauguration, including mentioning that Rahm Emanuel and Barack's sister are also Wilco fans:

Obama and his sister are huge Wilco fans and I
  • 1 month later...

:yeaahh

Washington, D.C.: Roxanne: Any word on whether the President-elect's favorite band, Wilco, will perform at any function?

Roxanne Roberts: Haven't heard that---but if they really are his favorite band (haven't heard that, either) then its a good bet they get an invite.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8121702960.html

I am (sadly) going to guess that Wilco isn't getting an invite (as a band, maybe as individuals they are) to one of the balls. Clearly they are not performing at the Inaguration itself.

LouieB

inaguration, no... in town? :brow