what music makes your ears happy?

in other words, when you hear a certain song or songs, does it bring a smile to your face no matter how you feel? what song or songs would that be?

right now, for me, the Fleet Foxes always make me smile. the harmonies blend into a magical parade of sound that sweeps me off my clumsy Ugg wearing feet.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wilco will love you, baby"

Strangley the Cure's Friday I'm in love. It is soo goofy and silly and coming from a band like the Cure it just makes me chuckle.
My first thought when I saw the thread title was "Just Like Heaven!" :thumbup

Also, Bonnie Prince Billy "At Break of Day"

and an enormous catalog of lovely soul tunes. Otis, Marvin, and the rest of 'em make my ears glow.

Kinks - "Hairy Rag"

:lol it's harry rag (cockney slang for cigarette - "harry rag - fag" - a fag being a cigarette, not a bender, a bender being a homosexual) i know it's only a typo, but hairy rag sounds dirty.

for me, i immediately thought of the jackson 5, especially this: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2RPWZ6qKc and this http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9mvyC5iOoZw

The kind of music that doesn't cease to make me smile of joy, is the good old swing jazz of the 30's, or New Orleans.

Duke Ellington's "Black Fantasy", Louis Armstrong, the Boswell Sisters, Billie Holiday's "What a Moonlight Can Do", etc

Also rock'n'roll: Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley (in the 50's)

But the kind of music I tend to listen to the most is the one that stoppes my breath, which is something else

I like the feeling of purity some musics give to me, something that is hyper sweet and close to silence

It often happens with female singers, through the pure sound of their voices

A lot of Leo Kottke

A lot of bluegrass

I've gotta second this. Leo just has some flat-out amazing and happy stuff. I'm talking the vast majority of his non-lyrical stuff: "Cripple Creek," "Busted Bicycle," "Vaseline Machine Gun," "The Driving of the Year Nail," "Buckaroo," "Up Tempo," etc., etc.

And Bluegrass, in general, always puts a smile on my face.