• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but 1 star for REM? Why the distaste. I think it is their best album since New Adventures.

Agreed, I like the new REM pretty well, and New Adv. is my personal favorite. I'd put Accelerate on the accumulating best of list right now.

but 1 star for REM? Why the distaste. I think it is their best album since New Adventures.

definitely... it's a solid 3 star (out of 5) record, maybe even 3.5

as for Nada Surf's new one, it's grown on me, and i like it more than the last one, but it's still not even close to their best stuff.

Uh oh, I have not listened to this yet, but I bought both a CD and LP copy.....

LouieB

The new Alejandro record is great. People (We're Only Gonna Live So Long) is a really weak track for me, but Swallows of San Juan and Nun's Song are among the best songs he's ever written

The New Nada Surf is amazing...but 1 star for REM? Why the distaste?

because it blows?

i find it an incredibly dishonest record

this is REM finally realizing their last few albums were lifeless and selling less and less, so they listened to their fans - "we miss the old REM" - and recorded a record that sounds like old REM but without the songs. this is REM product. REM karaoke.

this is REM finally realizing their last few albums were lifeless and selling less and less, so they listened to their fans - "we miss the old REM" - and recorded a record that sounds like old REM but without the songs. this is REM product. REM karaoke.

I don't like Accelerate either, but what's more dishonest--this record, or a random listener somewhere pretending he knows, beyond doubt, exactly what the band's motivations and ambitions were when recording this record?

I don't like Accelerate either, but what's more dishonest--this record, or a random listener somewhere pretending he knows, beyond doubt, exactly what the band's motivations and ambitions were when recording this record?

Maybe he's Bill Berry :D.

I do like Accelerate but couldn't agree more with your assessment.

whatever, pal

you interpret things the way you want to, i'll do the same

this is the internet. the land of opinions.

this album is REM admitting they have no ideas left

it's almost as boring as that bon iver record ever around here is in love with

No love for the Gutter Twins "Saturnalia"?

Absolutely love that album!!!! It's my top of this year. I also love the 2nd Isobel Campbell & Lanegan album, Sunday at Devil Dirt.

There's a really great local (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) band that released an album on Ramseur this year: Bombadil's "A Buzz, A Buzz" They're great live, and anyone who has a chance to see them should. They have a great, upbeat folk sound.

Two other great local bands, American Aquarium and Bowerbirds, put out some good albums this year.

I'm really liking Vetiver's "Thing of the Past" and Murder By Death's "Red of Tooth and Claw"

Porcupine Tree's "live"/in-store show "We lost the Skyline" has some great stripped down versions of their material.

Be Your Own Pet - "Get Awkward"

Black Mountain - "In the Future"

The new Coldplay album is surprisingly okay.

Opeth's "Watershed" is also really solid.

... I should post here more.

1. Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows

2. Dirtbombs - We Have You Surrounded

3. Constantines - Kensington Heights

4. Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight

5. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever ago

6. Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Graves

7. Corby Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

8. Nick Cave - Dig Lazurus Dig

9. Ladyhawk - Shots

10. Kelley Stoltz - Circular Sounds

11. Hayden - In Field and Town

12. Wooden Sky - Lost at Sea

13. She and Him - Vol 1

14. Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers

15. Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Ha

16. Tindersticks - The Hungry Saw

17. Boris - Smile

18. The Bees - Octopus

19. British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music

20. Sun Kil Moon - April

21. Plants and Animals - Parc Avenue

22. Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Bet the new YAI will knock some heads. Hope Calexico will too.

because it blows?

I was hoping Sky Blue Bats would respond but anyways...

Hardwood Floor. I just like to know how many times did you listen to Accelerate all the way through? I have had many albums that I did not like or even hated on the first listen then after a few tries a few months later it made much more scence to me. Accelerate grabbed me quick I will admit because I enjoy fast tempo REM songs. I feel Mike Mills and Peter Buck are playing with intensity and a pep that hasn't been on the last few records. I find it hard for me not to hum or sing along to almost every single song on this album. I can not say that about the last few.

Alrighty then... :monkey

PS. Yay for Supergrass Lizish! Hoo Ha is a great record!

Quite the REM Accelerate album opinion war going on here, so I may as well weigh in with my two cents worth. Which is just that MY two cents worth, nothing definitive here just how I feel about it all. First off since Berry left there is little disagreement that REM

english and subjectivity are not his "strong points".

OK, now we think we're clever by finding mistakes in posts?

I've never seen a message board where the frequent posters show so much rage and fury toward those with differing opinions.

It's sad when people are so close-minded and insecure they can't deal with varying opinions on something as subjective as art, books or music.

Now, please, find some errors in my post so you can feel good about yourself for a few minutes.

OK, now we think we're clever by finding mistakes in posts?

I've never seen a message board where the frequent posters show so much rage and fury toward those with differing opinions.

It's sad when people are so close-minded and insecure they can't deal with varying opinions on something as subjective as art, books or music.

Now, please, find some errors in my post so you can feel good about yourself for a few minutes.

I have no rage and fury on this message board. Not sure where you read that.

As far as close-minded, that's not the issue here. My difference is not with your opinion of REM's album. I can care less what you, or anyone else, think about their album. My issue is related to anyone that posts their lame ass analysis of something, of which they know nothing, as if it is a fact.

Apologies if my rage irritated you. Now I'll stay out of this thread as I don't want to hijack the topic at hand any worse than it already has been.

hardwood floor, I couldn't care less if you expressed a differing opinion from mine about something. I actually agree with you about REM (short of the 'dishonest' comment). It's your attitude that irks me - you come across as smug, and it's ironic when you cry out that people are attacking you for having a differing opinion, when your opinion constantly comes across as an attack (or at least insulting) in the first place.

hardwood floor, I couldn't care less if you expressed a differing opinion from mine about something. I actually agree with you about REM (short of the 'dishonest' comment). It's your attitude that irks me - you come across as smug, and it's ironic when you cry out that people are attacking you for having a differing opinion, when your opinion constantly comes across as an attack (or at least insulting) in the first place.

said it better than I could :thumbup