The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from sharing the titles from other bands, those song titles sound like they were written by a 10-year-old girl (no offense to 10-year-old girls).

you have a point, but as long as the songs don't sound like they were written by a 10 year old girl i'll give it a go.

I've hears the end, got some, and a good bit of the fixer and so far i'm excited to check it out :)

The Fixer is pretty cool. not overly great, but def a very solid first single.

Not very big on the effects on Ed's vocals on a lot of the track, and the "yeaah yeaah yeaaah" bit gets tiring, but besides that it's a pretty solid first single. just hopefully as per previous PJ records post Vitalogy, the first single isn't even close to the best song on the record.

also, fuck Brendan O'Brien and his 15 second fade outs :realmad

The Fixer is pretty cool. not overly great, but def a very solid first single.

Not very big on the effects on Ed's vocals on a lot of the track, and the "yeaah yeaah yeaaah" bit gets tiring, but besides that it's a pretty solid first single. just hopefully as per previous PJ records post Vitalogy, the first single isn't even close to the best song on the record.

also, fuck Brendan O'Brien and his 15 second fade outs :realmad

What you are talking about? If it wasn't for the fadeout, this song would register in at about a mere 2 minutes 30 seconds. ;)

Aside from sharing the titles from other bands, those song titles sound like they were written by a 10-year-old girl (no offense to 10-year-old girls).

WAAAAAAAAA!!!! That really made me laugh. I'm getting anxious to hear this album. I hear that ticket prices for the regular sale were just as steep as the pre-sale.

I need to vent. I'm gearing up for Monday's Ten Club pre-sale. A pair of tickets is $148. Perhaps in the year since I've been to a show (at all) costs have skyrocketed. Does this seem excessive? I have been a Ten Club member for over ten years now, I think? I have not been impressed with several things:

a)the way that seniority has been handled over the years (poorly)

b)that Ten Club members aren't given some sort of discount for tickets (Dave Matthews does!) because

c) in years past my seats have been awful for some shows

d)hey, guys- remember that one time you went before Congress?

e)I'm SURE that despite their history, the $148 will have a penny or two attached for fees

I think I'm just shocked at how expensive these shows are and I was planning on going both nights. I guess my days of going to every show within a 300 miles radius for a tour are over. I'm not quite ready to break up with them (although, I can't blame Heather over at fuelfriends I Am Fuel, You Are Friends), just frustrated. I feel better...of course I'm going to shell out the cash and go- like I always do.

$167 for Philly

but as long as people trade and copy their music, I will not begrudge the band for raising ticket prices or taking advantage of commercial opportunities-compared to what other arena acts charge, the prices are not that bad-this isnt 1994.

seniority has been handled pretty well, your seats are still dictated by your 10C number (except rows 1-2 and 9-10 which are random.

are you saying senior members should get first crack at tickets? every member has an equal chance at tix and thats pretty fair

the 10c tix were $11.50 less per pair that comcast tickets, so there is a discount

the 10c does what it can to get the best seats-I have never been disappointed, and the tix are always better than whats available on TM

many moons ago, the fans made it clear that they would rather deal with TM than not have any shows, so the band has made compromises, but its ultimately so they can play shows

For my money, they are still one of the top live acts in the US, and their shows are not to be missed IMHO!

rant over :D

Im not loving the fixer

its alright, got some is a MUCH better song IMHO, but Im anxious to hear the rest of the record.

anybody else hitting the philly shows?

Agreed on all counts. See you in Philly!

$167 for Philly

but as long as people trade and copy their music, I will not begrudge the band for raising ticket prices or taking advantage of commercial opportunities-compared to what other arena acts charge, the prices are not that bad-this isnt 1994.

seniority has been handled pretty well, your seats are still dictated by your 10C number (except rows 1-2 and 9-10 which are random.

are you saying senior members should get first crack at tickets? every member has an equal chance at tix and thats pretty fair

the 10c tix were $11.50 less per pair that comcast tickets, so there is a discount

the 10c does what it can to get the best seats-I have never been disappointed, and the tix are always better than whats available on TM

many moons ago, the fans made it clear that they would rather deal with TM than not have any shows, so the band has made compromises, but its ultimately so they can play shows

For my money, they are still one of the top live acts in the US, and their shows are not to be missed IMHO!

rant over :D

You're right. My irritation with seniority really has nothing to do with tickets, really. It's an old gripe...long story and one that is ultimately probably my own issue. I shouldn't even have broached it. I was just ranting. I do fully agree that it is fair that every member have an equal chance. They are a phenomenal live show- which is probably why I was so pissy about the whole thing. Thank you for diplomatically and delicately reasoning with me! I hope you are able to attend and have a great time. I despair that I don't think I can go this round.

You're right. My irritation with seniority really has nothing to do with tickets, really. It's an old gripe...long story and one that is ultimately probably my own issue. I shouldn't even have broached it. I was just ranting. I do fully agree that it is fair that every member have an equal chance. They are a phenomenal live show- which is probably why I was so pissy about the whole thing. Thank you for diplomatically and delicately reasoning with me! I hope you are able to attend and have a great time. I despair that I don't think I can go this round.

Well sorry you had a bad experience. Trying to get an old number back? I was able to get 10c tix for both philly shows, so I am psyched. My only complaint is that it used to be a LOT easier to get tix, for some reason it seems like the whole world rediscovered pearl jam in 2006. And there are a lot more scalpers in the 10C as well.

I hope you find a way to make your show of choice, but if not, dont despair. They will be back and, after all, it is just a rock concert.

If its not fun, time to move on to less stressful pleasures.

Good luck.

Well sorry you had a bad experience. Trying to get an old number back? I was able to get 10c tix for both philly shows, so I am psyched. My only complaint is that it used to be a LOT easier to get tix, for some reason it seems like the whole world rediscovered pearl jam in 2006. And there are a lot more scalpers in the 10C as well.

I hope you find a way to make your show of choice, but if not, dont despair. They will be back and, after all, it is just a rock concert.

If its not fun, time to move on to less stressful pleasures.

Good luck.

It DID used to be easier, right?! I am not as hardcore as I used to be...not since I discovered Wilco, frankly. However, I agree with you- PJ is a phenomenal live show. I am still that superfan at heart that MUST GO TO EACH SHOW. The good news is that I fully realize how petulant and ridiculous I am being about the whole thing! I'll be over it soon! Keep us posted as to how your shows (plural! Yay for you!) go!

It DID used to be easier, right?! I am not as hardcore as I used to be...not since I discovered Wilco, frankly. However, I agree with you- PJ is a phenomenal live show. I am still that superfan at heart that MUST GO TO EACH SHOW. The good news is that I fully realize how petulant and ridiculous I am being about the whole thing! I'll be over it soon! Keep us posted as to how your shows (plural! Yay for you!) go!

A lot easier, plus they did longer tours which reduced the demand in each city.

Wilco and PJ are pretty much the only two bands I see regularly. The two most important live acts in America right now (some might through MMJ in there as well). IMHO :D

Pearl Jam: 'Back' To The Future (5 page article at Billboard.com)

Curtis also balked at the waste involved in having to create different versions of "Backspacer" for various partners, a common requirement of retail exclusives. Instead, the album is encoded with Sony DADC's eBridge technology, which allows purchasers to unlock extra content when they put the disc in their computers.

The Target discs will link to a virtual "vault" of 11 concerts spanning Pearl Jam's career, from which fans can choose two. The band will also create an organic cotton T-shirt to be sold at Target, with proceeds earmarked for the hunger relief charity Feeding America. And in September, a Cameron Crowe-directed TV ad will air featuring footage shot during a private performance at Seattle's Showbox in late May.

Always known for elaborate album packaging, Pearl Jam turned to political cartoonist Tom Tomorrow, whom Vedder met at a 2000 Ralph Nader rally, to create the album's visuals. Nine pieces of Tomorrow's artwork are scattered across various Internet sites, and fans can drag-and-drop them onto a grid on Pearl Jam's site to receive a free download of the track "Speed of Sound."

Of course, they are not the first to offer shows with a purchase of a cd. The Black Crowes offered that deal with the purchase of Lions back in the day.

Am I the only one who thinks "Merkin Ball" was their creative peak?

yeah, the whole target thing rubbed a few fans the wrong way-thanks for the article

no worse than the deal with J records IMHO

anyway

In case there are any Aussies or Kiwis here:

AUSTRALIAN AND NEW ZEALAND TOUR DATES:

Saturday, 14 November, 2009

Members Equity Stadium, Perth, Australia

Ticket prices: $123.90 – Gold and $99.90 – Silver

Tickets available from Ticketmaster - www.ticketmaster.com.au or 136 100

Tuesday, 17 November, 2009

Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, Australia

Tickets available from Ticketek - www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849

Friday, 20 November, 2009

Etihad Stadium, Melbourne, Australia

Tickets available from Ticketmaster - www.ticketmaster.com.au or 136 100

Sunday, 22 November, 2009

Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney, Australia

Tickets available from Ticketek - www.Ticketek.com.au or 132 849

Wednesday, 25 November, 2009

QSAC Stadium, Brisbane, Australia

Tickets available from Ticketek - www.ticketek.com.au or 132 849

Friday, 27 November, 2009

Mt Smart, Auckland, New Zealand

Ticket prices: $119.50 – Gold and $99.50 – Silver

Tickets available from Ticketek: www.ticketek.co.nz or 0800 842538

Sunday, 29 November, 2009

AMI Stadium, Christchurch, New Zealand

Ticket prices: $119.50 – Gold and $99.50 – Silver

Tickets available from Ticketek: www.ticketek.co.nz or 0800 84253

thanksgiving at neil finns place!

• 2 weeks later...

Additional PJ dates

DATE CITY VENUE 10C PRESALE

Oct 31 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum Arena* Aug-12 @9am PDT

Oct 27 Philadelphia, PA Spectrum Arena* Aug-12 @11am PDT

Sep 28 Salt Lake, UT E Center Aug-12 @1pm PDT

Sep 26 Portland, OR Amphitheater Aug-12 @3pm PDT

Sep 25 Vancouver, BC GM Place Aug-12 @5pm PDT

General sale tickets for the Philly shows will start August 14th through www.comcasttix.com. The Portland and Vancouver general ticket sales will also start August 14th through www.ticketmaster.com. The remaining west coast dates will go on-sale to the general public through www.ticketmaster.com on August 15th.

Ten Club will be hosting a swift pre-sale for these shows beginning August 12th and ending August 13th at 5pm PDT. Coordinated dates and times are listed above.