The Pearl Jam Thread

it was definitely around that era, no question.

'94-'96 for me was my favorite era in terms of their studio output

Yes. I will say I heard "In Hiding" on the XM the other day and was struck by its goodness.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Am I the only one who thinks "Merkin Ball" was their creative peak?"

Agreed about the era. I have had most of their albums, at some point, but Vitalogy, No Code and Yield (and MB) were the ones I kept. Vitalogy is my favorite, despite it having two of their worst tracks.

Pearl Jam: 'Back' To The Future (5 page article at Billboard.com)

Of course, they are not the first to offer shows with a purchase of a cd. The Black Crowes offered that deal with the purchase of Lions back in the day.

I'm still waiting for the word on whether 10C pre-ordered versions will include the key to these vault CDs since there's no clarification.

"Am I the only one who thinks "Merkin Ball" was their creative peak?"

Agreed about the era. I have had most of their albums, at some point, but Vitalogy, No Code and Yield (and MB) were the ones I kept. Vitalogy is my favorite, despite it having two of their worst tracks.

I cant pick a favorite or a peak. I love all the records from ten to binaural

I would also say that binaural is totally underrated, it too is a great record form start to finish, with the exception of evacuation.

Yield was a tough act to follow!

Riot act is where they seem to have lost their touch, and the last record was not great either-although both records had a couple of great songs.

Which record to I play the most? Well according to my Ipod its no code.

I cant pick a favorite or a peak. I love all the records from ten to binaural

I would also say that binaural is totally underrated, it too is a great record form start to finish, with the exception of evacuation.

Yield was a tough act to follow!

Riot act is where they seem to have lost their touch, and the last record was not great either-although both records had a couple of great songs.

Which record to I play the most? Well according to my Ipod its no code.

There seems to be a lot of nostalgia brewing up for Binaural, as if it's this lost classic or, at least, a really good album. Maybe compared to Riot Act, but I just don't see it. It only has a handful of songs that I even care to listen to.

However, Pearl Jam is in my top four (along with Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield). It's solid from top to bottom and "Come Back" might be my favorite PJ song. From what I've heard of the new one, I'm a little concerned. Although, that's basing things off of only two songs, one of which isn't bad ("The Fixer" however is pretty bad).

I actually like riot act better than the last album, but both only have about four songs I really dig.

I have always loved Binaural, took me awhile to like sleight of hand and nothing as it seems, but I have grown to love them.

But hey thats why opinions are like....well you know :)

Yeah I dont really like the fixer, or speed of sound, but I will withhold judgment until I hear the whole record and the songs played live

scored tix for Halloween Philly show this morning, so we'll be at the Fri & Sat shows :)

i almost guarantee that Bruuuuuuuce will show up for one of them

also:

30 second preview of Supersonic (the b-side of The Fixer and also on Backspacer)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fixer/dp/B002L...3212&sr=8-4

even just from the clip i like it way more than The Fixer. sounds like The Ramones meets The Cars.

not sure what's up with Ed and his "yeah yeah"'s on this record tho

From Uncut.co.uk:

Pearl Jam invited Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood on stage last night (August 11) in London - to help on a thrilling cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower".

Pearl Jam's fanclub members gig at London's O2 Shepherds Bush Empire was the Seattle band's first UK date, ahead of two arena gigs next week.

Ronnie Wood led the band through "All Along The Watchtower", with help from Pearl Jam guitarists Mike McCready and Stone Gossard.

Pearl Jam's encore also included a cover of the The Who's "The Real Me".

scored tix for Halloween Philly show this morning, so we'll be at the Fri & Sat shows :)

i almost guarantee that Bruuuuuuuce will show up for one of them

also:

30 second preview of Supersonic (the b-side of The Fixer and also on Backspacer)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fixer/dp/B002L...3212&sr=8-4

even just from the clip i like it way more than The Fixer. sounds like The Ramones meets The Cars.

not sure what's up with Ed and his "yeah yeah"'s on this record tho

i really hope you're right about bruce that would be awesome. friday and saturday are the two shows i'm going to as well. now all i need to do is score some giants tickets, cause they are coming to whoop up on the birdies the day after halloween.

i'm diggin what i've heard from the new album. it sounds like they're cooking up a little something for everyone. the fixer is probably the weakest from what i've heard, but it's so damn catchy i can't ever seem to get it out of my head. so that just confuses me, anyway, i think backspacer is gonna be something special. personally i was disappointed with the self titled cd, and i think riot act was one of their best. we'll see in about a month.

i really hope you're right about bruce that would be awesome. friday and saturday are the two shows i'm going to as well. now all i need to do is score some giants tickets, cause they are coming to whoop up on the birdies the day after halloween.

i'm diggin what i've heard from the new album. it sounds like they're cooking up a little something for everyone. the fixer is probably the weakest from what i've heard, but it's so damn catchy i can't ever seem to get it out of my head. so that just confuses me, anyway, i think backspacer is gonna be something special. personally i was disappointed with the self titled cd, and i think riot act was one of their best. we'll see in about a month.

:blink

sorry, Riot Act is far and away my least favorite (and seems to be somewhat of a consensus on The Sky I Scrape) :/

honestly Pearl Jam haven't put out a truly great album since Yield 11 years ago, i've lost most of my faith, but we'll see. not heard anything TOO amazing from this new one yet.

sorry, Riot Act is far and away my least favorite (and seems to be somewhat of a consensus on The Sky I Scrape) :/

honestly Pearl Jam haven't put out a truly great album since Yield 11 years ago, i've lost most of my faith, but we'll see. not heard anything TOO amazing from this new one yet.

I Think Riot Act has some great songs on it. More than Binaural at least.

Good songs on Riot Act: Can't Keep (sorry, ukelele doesn't work at all Ed), LBC, I Am Mine, Green Disease.

Others are okay or possibly worse. It just doesn't feel very strong as an album.

Also, Red Mosquito-Lukin-Present Tense >= I Got Id-The Long Road

no need to apologize, it's a matter of opinion really. riot act has always caught the most heat from pj fans for being their weakest album. i'm a huge pj fan and i just happen to disagree. i thought self-titled was their weakest release. personally, i think all the albums except the last one were great. i think binural and riot act had great songs that suffered from a weird production style. i don't know much about producing music, so i don't really know what's going on with them, but they both kinda sound like they were recorded in someones garage. eddie's vocals seem like they were intentionally tamed for both of these as well. that said, hearing these songs played live over the years is what made me love them. once you get the connection to the songs, you have to appreciate the albums. they're both growers if you ask me. 1/2 full is one of the best songs you could hear at a pj concert.

really wish I could make that 10/31 show

Damn rugrats! That show should be spectacular-possibly one for the ages

I think all or none off RA is one of the most beautiful songs they have ever recorded.

Cant keep, cropduster and save you are great songs, I also really like help help, reminds of vintage floyd, but I know I am in the minority there.

Also, the b-sides from riot act are really good (other side, down and undone).

The last record just leaves me hanging, plus no b-sides at all. A few songs I dig, but less than RA. Comeback, gone and inside job put me to sleep and life wasted is meh.

I do like the other songs though, even wws, and comatose has balls.

Really looking forward to the new record.

really wish I could make that 10/31 show

Damn rugrats! That show should be spectacular-possibly one for the ages

I think all or none off RA is one of the most beautiful songs they have ever recorded.

Cant keep, cropduster and save you are great songs, I also really like help help, reminds of vintage floyd, but I know I am in the minority there.

Also, the b-sides from riot act are really good (other side, down and undone).

The last record just leaves me hanging, plus no b-sides at all. A few songs I dig, but less than RA. Comeback, gone and inside job put me to sleep and life wasted is meh.

I do like the other songs though, even wws, and comatose has balls.

Really looking forward to the new record.

All or None is def the best song on RA, no question there.

Cropduster i can't really stand, but it's rare that i ever like Matt Cameron songs (You Are is abysmal).

i do agree the b-sides kickass, all 3 of those are better than like 80% of what actually made the album.

I finally listened to the new single - I was surprised. I haven't heard them be that produced/layered maybe ever, butttttt I'm not sure that's bad. It definitely makes me interested in the new album. I never picked up alvacado.

The single is catchy - I wonder how PJ would react if it was a hit single playing alongside Daughtry and the like (not that it's that bad).

I finally listened to the new single - I was surprised. I haven't heard them be that produced/layered maybe ever, butttttt I'm not sure that's bad. It definitely makes me interested in the new album. I never picked up alvacado.

The single is catchy - I wonder how PJ would react if it was a hit single playing alongside Daughtry and the like (not that it's that bad).

actually the fixer isn't really much of an indication of what the new album is gonna sound like from what i've heard of the tracks. i lot of tunes on it have a bit of an into the wild feel to them, then there are the typical pj rockers and a punk track called supersonic. from what i've learned about backspacer so far, my expectations are extremely high for this one. i think it might be the best since no code.

check this video out, it's a short film about the making of backspacer, it'll definitely make you want to buy the album.

I thought their last album "self titled" was pretty damn good actually.

I too am pretty excited about this. I don't like the fixer too much but i really liked Got Some. The End is another goood one and from what i heard of that song just breathe in the little 10 minute video it sounded cool too.

I'm very excited to hear "amonst the waves" evidently a guy from spin who reviewed the album said it is an anthem like Alive that could have those fans "rushing back to the bad"..... that sounds promising.