The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any PJ fans over here? I post frequently on the PJ forum and am a 10c member... been a fan for years. Anyone else?

You will find pleanty of them here!

I am a fan but a fairweathered one.

I did however buy Ten the first week it was out along with VS and Vitology. I have seen them 2 times in concert and have met Eddie Vedder and Mike Mccreedy. I check out their new albums when they come out but don't follow them so much these days. They still put on a great live show! :dancing

I like Pearl Jam a good bit, but lose interest more and more as time goes on. For me, Yield was the last good thing they did. Self-titled was good, but not even close to the level of their older stuff. Riot Act and Binaural are both very poor.

I like Pearl Jam a good bit, but lose interest more and more as time goes on. For me, Yield was the last good thing they did. Self-titled was good, but not even close to the level of their older stuff. Riot Act and Binaural are both very poor.

yup.

Yield WAS their last truly great record sadly...

Binaural, the prodution was shitty... that and they left 3-4 of the best songs from those sessions off the record (Fatal, Sad, etc.). the Riot Act b-sides were better than the record for the most part too (Undone, Down, & Other Side)

hoping that them going back to Brendan O'Brien (last one he did was Yield) helps... but i'm thinking getting Jack Irons back in the band would help more... Matt's a great drummer, but i feel he doesn't really bring much to the table with Pearl Jam... certainly nothing like the beats he wrote for Soundgarden (Jesus Christ Pose anyone???), he plays it safe in PJ.

I actually really like Riot Act, save for a few songs ("You Are"...*shudder*). But I only fell in love with that record after hearing it live. I rarely listen to the records at all anymore; I'd rather listen to boots.

solace, a friend of mine was side stage at a few of the East Coast shows last summer and she said the one thing that really stood out was Matt's drumming; she's an Irons devotee, but definitely gained a new appreciation for Matt. So maybe he's doing something different these days, who knows. He definitely opens it up a bit more in the live show.

Think we got a tour coming up this summer when the new record comes out? I want to see them at Alpine Valley again.

I didn't like Riot Act when it first came out but after the s/t album I went back and listened to it again and it grew on me. I tried to do the same with Binaural but it's still my least favorite. Yield was the last album to come out while I was a die hard fan and I still think it rocks.

My eighteen year old son makes fun of me for liking PJ.

I actually really like Riot Act, save for a few songs ("You Are"...*shudder*). But I only fell in love with that record after hearing it live. I rarely listen to the records at all anymore; I'd rather listen to boots.

solace, a friend of mine was side stage at a few of the East Coast shows last summer and she said the one thing that really stood out was Matt's drumming; she's an Irons devotee, but definitely gained a new appreciation for Matt. So maybe he's doing something different these days, who knows. He definitely opens it up a bit more in the live show.

Think we got a tour coming up this summer when the new record comes out? I want to see them at Alpine Valley again.

i saw them 3 shows this tour... they were def really good, and Matt's good live. but the drumming he writes for Pearl Jam is very much straight forward rock beats for the most part (there's been a few exceptions here or there), compared to his Soundgarden drumming, which kinda bums me out.

no question he's a better rock drummer than Jack Irons, but Jack has a much more natural and earthy feel that i prefer... and the 2 albums they did with him were awesome and much more varied.

i saw them 3 shows this tour...

Did you really? That's awesome, which ones? I couldn't do any of the PJ dates this year, but did manage to catch three of the Ed Vedder solo shows. Those were a lot of fun.

Well, I was a poster on the Pearl Jam board up until today. I'm capable of posting on the new one but I'm feeling uninspired with the changes and all. I may finally start posting here regularly.

I haven't seem them a hundred times or anything (just 3 times in the 12 or 13 years I've been a fan), but Pearl Jam is the band that changed my life when I was a teenager. I've been with them longer than any other band, and while my interest is in decline I still love them.

My thoughts on Riot Act - loved it when it came out. Came to see it's faults as time went on. It's unquestionably my least favorite PJ album.

I guess it's cliche with the so-called "die hards," but No Code and Yield are my favorites. I'm really not into much hard rock these days, so they're the ones that have held up best for me.

Pearl Jam really needs to step it up with the touring. It's hard to stay interested in a band that releases mediocre records and only comes to my city once every 3 years (if that).

Did you really? That's awesome, which ones? I couldn't do any of the PJ dates this year, but did manage to catch three of the Ed Vedder solo shows. Those were a lot of fun.

yeah ;)

DC + both MSG shows

my wife and I met on 6/24/98 at the Rapid City Pearl Jam show, got married on 6/24/06 (then saw PJ + Tom Petty 2 nights in a row on 6/26 & 6/27). so when PJ announced they were playing MSG on 6/24 & 6/25, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to see them at sucha famed venue on the 10th anniversary of when we met :blush

the shows weren't amazing by any means, but was still very glad we made the trip

:thumbup

I'm a big fan. Part of the reason i got into wilco was the message board over at their site. Many years ago i kept hearing about wilco in the "other bands" section and checked them out. I had liked uncle tupelo and son volt but never really gave Wilco a shot until then.

It's still Vs. aka Five Against One, aka self titled, Vitalogy, and No Code for me.

I've said this before - but, whoever got the drum sound together on In My Tree should be given a medal. It's always sounds to me like the room is shaking.