The Pearl Jam Thread

The Neil Jam show in San Jose was great, Bad Religion opened and they were also really good. I have to say I was a bit dissapointed in the fans. There were a huge contingent of us that were stoked that the show did not get cancelled and we could watch Neil and Pearl Jam. There was also a huge amount of people that were pissed and booing Neil. I couldn't believe it but they were mostly young fans who were there to Mosh and drink.

I understand being disspointed but how do you possibly Boo a living legend who is filling in at the last moment? Like it's his fault Eddie was sick? Take your dumb ass and go home.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a video of my old band doing "Evenflow" on my myspace page. Starts a little raggedy but gets a little better. Not the best performance ever but not horrible. We are much butter now of course! Actually we have a new singer and bass player so completely different.

Here's the link if you want to subject yourself.

I'm the jackass on the left playing the strat.

http://www.myspace.com/uglimoss

Not only did you see a Neil Jam show, you were at probably the most legendary/infamous one. I also hate you. :)

For another example of retarded PJ fandom, the first show I saw was Merriweather in '00. When it was announced that Sonic Youth would not be opening because of a family emergency, and that PJ would therefore start early, people cheered loudly. Kim Gordon's mom died that night.

Not only did you see a Neil Jam show, you were at probably the most legendary/infamous one. I also hate you. :)

For another example of retarded PJ fandom, the first show I saw was Merriweather in '00. When it was announced that Sonic Youth would not be opening because of a family emergency, and that PJ would therefore start early, people cheered loudly. Kim Gordon's mom died that night.

Pittsburgh 2000 was my first concert (ever), and I recall a similar reaction from the crowd when it was announced that Kim and Thurston would be missing that night. I couldn't believe the insensitivity, not to mention the fact that people were HAPPY to miss a legendary band like Sonic Youth.

We still had the pleasure of seeing Lee and Jim front the band - I bet that upset a few of the meat heads. I enjoyed the show myself.

You may be the only person I have ever hear of that picked No Code as their favorite PJ album.

Good for you though!

i'd pick it as their best too, by quite a long way actually. i'd recommend it to anyone that thinks they don't like pearl jam.

my list would be

01 no code

02 vitalogy

03 yield

04 vs

05 ten

and the others aren't even worth mentioning in the same list as those 5.

i'd pick it as their best too, by quite a long way actually. i'd recommend it to anyone that thinks they don't like pearl jam.

my list would be

01 no code

02 vitalogy

03 yield

04 vs

05 ten

and the others aren't even worth mentioning in the same list as those 5.

Boy am I out of the loop, but then again I usually am. I'm hearing way more love for No Code then I have ever heard anywhere else. Kind of a dumb question but what is it about that album that makes it a fan favorite? Jack Irons? Lyrics? Production? Obviously songwriting but why? It's not one that grabbed me off the bat so I forgot about it and put it away and I'm thinking that was a mistake. Maybe it was too mellow at a time I was looking for something harder.

Seems like ten ranks low on a bunch of lists, is that because it got so overplayed? I did get a bit burned out on "Alive", and "Evenflow" and "Jeremy" but the stuff that did not get played "Once", "release Me" "Oceans" etc... there's just not a bad song on that album.

Seen them a bunch, the best one being at the Greek theatre in Berkeley on Halloween night 1993. Henry Rollins and American Music Club opened up. Great night, great weather, I was right in front (even caught one of McCready's guitar picks). Eddie came out in this weird Jesus outfit holding a cross. They did Baba O' Riley, Sonic Reducer, and Fuckin' up (among others) during the encore.

I also saw them in San Jose and Eddie Vedder left after 2 songs because he was so sick with the Flu. Neil Young came out to finish the show. Watching Neil doing Cortez with the band was a highlight. A bunch of people left once they found out Eddie was not coming back so I moved right up front at that one.

Also saw them several years in a row at the bridge school benefits.

Never really had a bad PJ Live experience.

Missed them last time they were in Colorado and they have not been through much in past years.

Looks like we were at some of the same shows. My first time seeing PJ was at that Greek Theatre show in Berkeley and while I enjoyed Ten, it was their live performance that made me a fan. I've seen them maybe a dozen times since then, including at their Bridge School shows.

Wasn't the show where Eddie got sick at Golden Gate Park, though? I actually wasn't at that show (saw them in Sacramento instead) but I remember hearing about it. I believe they did a make-up show in San Jose.

Looks like we were at some of the same shows. My first time seeing PJ was at that Greek Theatre show in Berkeley and while I enjoyed Ten, it was their live performance that made me a fan. I've seen them maybe a dozen times since then, including at their Bridge School shows.

Wasn't the show where Eddie got sick at Golden Gate Park, though? I actually wasn't at that show (saw them in Sacramento instead) but I remember hearing about it. I believe they did a make-up show in San Jose.

Wow, I think your right. The San Jose show was the make up show. I have a sorry ass memory but I was at both of them. It's all a blur to me. I just remember 2 shows, the one in golden gate park WAS the one where Eddie got sick and Neil took over. For the life of me I can't keep straight the 2 shows. I just remember The Fastbacks, Bad Religion, and Ben Harper opening but can't remember which show was which. I remember people booing the fastbacks. I remember seeing Stone Gossard at the side of the stage watching Ben Harper do Voodoo Chile in awe. It's all really scattered in my memories though.

I wasn't even drunk or stoned so no excuses.

Boy am I out of the loop, but then again I usually am. I'm hearing way more love for No Code then I have ever heard anywhere else. Kind of a dumb question but what is it about that album that makes it a fan favorite? Jack Irons? Lyrics? Production? Obviously songwriting but why? It's not one that grabbed me off the bat so I forgot about it and put it away and I'm thinking that was a mistake. Maybe it was too mellow at a time I was looking for something harder.

Seems like ten ranks low on a bunch of lists, is that because it got so overplayed? I did get a bit burned out on "Alive", and "Evenflow" and "Jeremy" but the stuff that did not get played "Once", "release Me" "Oceans" etc... there's just not a bad song on that album.

No Code was the album that dumped all of the fair weather fans at the time of its release. Intentionally less commercial, it never the less scored big with a lot of hard core fans and because fans of PJ's more radio friendly songs were bitching it made liking the album that much more satisfying.

No Code was the album that dumped all of the fair weather fans at the time of its release. Intentionally less commercial, it never the less scored big with a lot of hard core fans and because fans of PJ's more radio friendly songs were bitching it made liking the album that much more satisfying.

I can understand that, sucks that I'm a fair weather fan though.

For me, I don't think it had much to do with me being a fair weathered fan as much as PJ made an uninteresting album. I seriously haven't played that album in 10 years or more. Their follow up was far more satisfying.

For me, I don't think it had much to do with me being a fair weathered fan as much as PJ made an uninteresting album. I seriously haven't played that album in 10 years or more. Their follow up was far more satisfying.

revisit it...

many PJ fans thought that at first, because it was SO so vastly different. knowing how much your tastes have likely changed since 1996, who knows... hearing it with fresh ears might open itself up to you. i think that's the problem so many had with it when it was initially released, is that this was a band who very much made 3 hard rock records delving into very different territory for them. it took me probably 6 months before I finally realized No Code's brilliance (kinda like me with OK Computer as well). the production on No Code is nothing short of amazing either. that and Vitalogy are easily PJ's best sounding records. the warmth off the opening of Sometimes just kills me.

honestly these songs off No Code are all among PJ's best songs:

In My Tree

Present Tense

Off He Goes

Hail, Hail (lyrics to this one are some of Ed's best ever)

Around The Bend

Unfortunately I would consider myself a fair weather fan. Dumped them some time after vitology-sp? I did however watch that making of Yield? Pretty kick ass. Fast forward to now and I have recently bought No Code and Yield. I am enjoying them and this thread. Thanks (I'm not sure who I'm thanking :stunned )

I've always maintained that In My Tree -> Smile -> Off He Goes is the greatest three-track run in their catalog. The sounds and styles that those songs encompass is unparalleled. Come to think of it, the entire first side is also as great of a "Side A" that has even been released.

The ONLY weak link on No Code IMO is I'm Open. I still dig it and can appreciate what Eddie was going for, but it just doesn't stand up to the rest of the album.

I was also at this show and remember the crowd's reaction to the Sonic Youth announcement. However I never knew that Kim Gordon's mother died. I had always heard that her parents were in a car accident but that it wasn't too serious. Obviously whoever was reporting that got it way wrong. That sucks.