The Pearl Jam Thread

oh shit, how could i forget Smile??

that's up there as well

How about the entire album?

I've always maintained that In My Tree -> Smile -> Off He Goes is the greatest three-track run in their catalog. The sounds and styles that those songs encompass is unparalleled.

Last Exit -> Spin The Black Circle -> Not For You could possibly contend for that position.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not enamored with the new album the way some people are, but I went to both nights in Vegas and N1 was easily in the top 3-5 PJ shows I've seen. They seem to be playing with new energy

I didn't know there was a thread here for the only band I've seen more than Wilco!   As referenced on Live Tonight thread, I just saw ten shows in May in six cities and they were great. The

Those are some intense stats, and I'm very jealous! Out of curiosity, do you have any standout favorite PJ shows you were in attendance for, as well as standouts from this May run?    I thin

How about the entire album?

well... while i like Mankind, i realize not everyone loves Stone's voice ;)

that and like mentioned above... I'm Open... for what it is, is cool, but shoulda been a hidden track or a b-side imo.

well... while i like Mankind, i realize not everyone loves Stone's voice ;)

that and like mentioned above... I'm Open... for what it is, is cool, but shoulda been a hidden track or a b-side imo.

Most fans have an expectation of Ed to take lead vocals. They just have some problems adjusting to the fact that someone other than Ed can sing in the band.

As for I'm Open, it fits perfectly in No Code on the a-side to just keep the mantra motif flowing.

revisit it...

many PJ fans thought that at first, because it was SO so vastly different. knowing how much your tastes have likely changed since 1996, who knows... hearing it with fresh ears might open itself up to you. i think that's the problem so many had with it when it was initially released, is that this was a band who very much made 3 hard rock records delving into very different territory for them. it took me probably 6 months before I finally realized No Code's brilliance (kinda like me with OK Computer as well). the production on No Code is nothing short of amazing either. that and Vitalogy are easily PJ's best sounding records. the warmth off the opening of Sometimes just kills me.

honestly these songs off No Code are all among PJ's best songs:

In My Tree

Present Tense

Off He Goes

Hail, Hail (lyrics to this one are some of Ed's best ever)

Around The Bend

Here, here on the commentary above (I dug it right off the bat, but guess I was in the minority/hardcore group:)). Off He Goes is one of the few PJ songs, IMHO, that is not better live. Just something about the recording perfectly captured that song. Have even heard their live acoustic versions (Bridge, Benaroya) and something is always missing. One of, if not my fave PJ tune!

So, oddly apropos of Analog's link above, I watched the Immagine in Cornice DVD this weekend and damn if I wasn't totally distracted and underwhelmed by Matt Cameron's drumming. :P But the DVD itself is fantastic (gotta love Danny Clinch) and I'd forgotten about the MMJ cameo in the bonus footage. So good.

I didn't get to see Pearl Jam until 2003 (insert long, sad story here about how I had tickets to a FREE PJ show in '93 at Marquette University, and my mom wouldn't let me go, and I became bitter and jaded and swore off Pearl Jam for years thereafter) but have seen them and Ed solo about 20 times since then. I have been lucky enough to see some of the more "notorious" PJ shows in recent years - the '06 Gorge shows, and the 10c only Vic Theater show among them - but my most memorable show without a doubt was 12.2.06, as it was 1) in Honolulu and 2) my birthday. Also, just a damn fine show with a very intimate feel. I still get chills listening to Ed's version of Hawaii '78:

The roar of the crowd as they recognize the tune...wow.

So far I've spent my Saturday morning (well, afternoon...I wake up late) remembering how good No Code is. I haven't listened in awhile. Tracks 1-9 are near perfect.

gotta love the quiteness of sometimes then rocks into Hail, Hail... Present Tense is so damn good also best vedder lyrics ever.

big pj fan here. seen them 14 times. 2003 was my favorite year for the band because of the riot act tour. since it seems like this thread has turned into a ranking of their albums, i'll throw in my 2 cents....

1. no code

2. vitalogy

3. yield

4. riot act

5. ten

6. vs

7. binural

8. pearl jam

i'd probably throw lost dogs somewhere in the middle there, didn't feel it should be included in the list as it's not a proper album. that list was tough to do and is bound to change. no code will always be my favorite though. black will always be my favorite tune. hopefully self titled will always be my least favorite. it will be unless they put out something worse in the future.

i'll never understand the hate for riot act. if you're a fan of live pj, you gotta admit that riot act translates extremely well in concert.

i'll never understand the love for self titled.

• 2 weeks later...
Pearl Jam Pumped Up To Hit The Studio

Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder

February 06, 2009 11:35 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Pearl Jam is about to hit the studio for a two-week session in Los Angeles with producer Brendan O'Brien as it continues work on its ninth studio album, which the band plans to self-release in the United States.

After laying down some instrumental beds last summer, additional demos were put to tape in December, and the band's non-singing members formulated another batch of material during a recent trip to Montana.

Frontman Eddie Vedder "put rough vocals on about half the stuff we worked on in December," bassist Jeff Ament tells Billboard.com. "There's a handful of really great lyrics. Lyrically, that stuff is in the embryonic stage, but there's a handful of lines and a couple of choruses that are just really great. He keeps getting better."

"I saw [guitarist] Mike [McCready] last night and we were both talking about this song and that song," he continues. "One of the songs we decided would go down a whole step and he was asking me about a chord progression."

This will be the first time Pearl Jam has spent significant time recording outside Seattle since 1996's "No Code," some of which was tracked with O'Brien in Chicago and New Orleans between touring. The band is confident the new album will be out in 2009.

"There's certainly been groups of songs that we've recorded very quickly," Ament says. "When we went to Atlanta and New Orleans, we could knock out two, three, four songs in the same amount of days. We did the same thing in Chicago. I'm kind of approaching it with the idea that it'll work out like those sessions did."

Ament says the band is very excited about the return of O'Brien, who hasn't worked on a full Pearl Jam album since 1998's "Yield" but has recently overseen a complete remixing of the band's 1991 debut, "Ten," which will be reissued March 24 on Epic/Legacy.

"He brings a brutally honest approach to what he thinks is working and what isn't, and it really moves things along," he says. We don't get waded down with ideas that maybe aren't even that good. He's one of the few people outside of the band that we trust with our music, and we're really, really looking forward to making this record."

The new album will be the follow-up to Pearl Jam's self-titled 2006 release for J Records, which has sold 704,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

this band is so linked with goofy college and high school experiences that it's hard for me to listen. however, living in atlanta, i would love to bump into ed vedder at a book store if they happen to be in town recording with obrien. the studio is literally down the street from me in a very unassuming house. i have been known to troll around a bit when i hear that bruce supposed to be recording:)

• 2 months later...

From Pearl Jam.com:

Ed Vedder Tour Announcement + Presale Info

Ed Vedder is heading out on another solo run which will kick off on June 8 in Albany, NY and end on July 2nd in Honolulu, HI.

The great New Zealand singer-songwriter - Liam Finn - will open these shows.

Ten Club will be hosting a ticket pre-sale for a limited quantity of tickets ... please read on for details.

The combination of small venues, limited ticket quantities, and lots of fans always makes for a challenge in terms of ticket-buying opportunities, but we've listened to everyone's input and modified our system to better address everyone's needs. Here's how the ticket pre-sale will work for Ed's tour this time around:

Ed Vedder Solo Tour Dates:

* Indicates unconfirmed, possible "rollover" dates.

** No kama'aina discount

Jun 8 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre

Jun 9* - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre

Jun 11 - Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre

Jun 12 - Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre

Jun 14 - Baltimore, MD - Lyric Opera House

Jun 15 - Baltimore, MD - Lyric Opera House

Jun 18 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium

Jun 20 - Memphis, TN - Orpheum

Jun 21* - Memphis, TN - Orpheum

Jun 23 - Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr

Jun 24* - Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr

Jun 29** - Maui, HI - Arts & Cultural Ctr - Castle Theatre

Jul 1** - Honolulu, HI - Hawaii Theatre Ctr

Jul 2** - Honolulu, HI - Hawaii Theatre Ctr

* You must be an active, participating member as of April 7th to qualify for the ticket pre-sale.

* The pre-sale will begin immediately and end April 10th at 5pm Pacific Time.

* This pre-sale opportunity is available to active US and Canadian members only. (We apologize to our overseas members.)

* Tickets for the pre-sale can be purchased only at https://www.pearljam.com/max with a Visa or MasterCard.

* Each member is eligible to purchase only ONE PAIR (2 tickets) to ONE confirmed show on the tour. (No single tickets will be sold.)

* Ten Club tickets for the EV solo tour will NOT be seniority based.

* Tickets are being held in unspecified locations throughout the venues.

* Tickets will NOT be mailed out in advance. All tickets will be distributed at will call on the evening of the performance. Valid photo ID is required for pickup.

* Only the Ten Club member who purchased the tickets will be allowed to collect the tickets. No exceptions.

IMPORTANT:

* You will make your show selection , but this DOES NOT guarantee you will have tickets to the show. You are establishing the OPPORTUNITY to buy tickets only. Your credit card will be "authorized" but funds will not be captured unless you are selected. (These funds may not be available to you for a period of time determined by your card issuing bank. To avoid having immediate funds held by your bank, we suggest NOT using a debit card for the ticket purchase, or maximizing your credit limit on a credit card.)

* Once the pre-sale has ended, we will randomly select members to buy the tickets and finalize the ticket purchase.

* A confirmation will be sent out once the selection process has ended, prior to the public on-sale, so you will know if you were successful in securing tickets through the Ten Club ... or not.

* If you are unsuccessful in obtaining tickets through the Ten Club pre-sale opportunity, we will send an informative email with public on-sale information.

* Tickets are non-refundable.

* If you are selected to purchase tickets, you are responsible for payment.

* No exchanges or transfers will be allowed, so make absolutely sure you are able to attend the concert selection.

* Reselling of Ten Club tickets will result in revocation of all future Ten Club ticket benefits.

* All dates are subject to change.

* If you require ADA seating, please call 800-724-8038.

UNCONFIRMED ADDITIONAL DATES - ROLLOVER SHOWS

* As you know, sometimes additional shows are added to the tour that are not confirmed at the time of the on-sale. We call these "rollover shows." We cannot legally sell tickets during a pre-sale for unconfirmed shows, but we will offer you the OPPORTUNITY to RESERVE one pair of tickets to one (1) "rollover" concert. THIS IS IN ADDITION TO YOUR FIRST CHOICE CONCERT.

* Your credit card will not be charged until the "rollover" show is confirmed, which would happen AFTER the public on-sale date, if your order is selected.

* A confirmation will be sent out if you are selected to purchase tickets for a "rollover" show.

* You will receive an email if your attempt at reserving tickets for the "rollover" shows proves unsuccessful.

* No exchanges or transfers will be allowed, so make absolutely sure you are able to attend both your 1st choice concert and any of the "rollover" concerts you select for purchase.

QUESTIONS:

Questions can be directed to tickets@tenclub.net or 800-724-8038

From Billboard.com:

Pearl Jam Album, Film, Tour In The Works

Pearl Jam has completed 14 songs for a new album and will play live dates in the U.S. this year.

April 13, 2009 10:11 AM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.

Pearl Jam will play live dates in the U.S. later this year, including the Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco Aug. 28-30, Billboard has confirmed. The band has also completed 14 songs for a new album and is working on a film with director Cameron Crowe, guitarist Mike McCready said in a radio interview late last month.

McCready told Seattle's "Ron & Don Show" that the band is about halfway finished with its next album, which is being recorded in California with producer Brendan O'Brien. McCready said the band is expecting to have the album out before the end of this year. As previously reported, the band will self-release the album, its ninth.

As for touring, the band is doing a "little thing in the States," and is looking to play South America in 2010, McCready said.

Pearl Jam is widely expected to be one of the headliners of this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival in Austin, Texas. The promoters, C3 Presents, declined to comment to Billboard about the lineup, but the Austin Chronicle is calling it "the worst-kept secret since Metallica

I really hope they pull out some great tunes for this new album. I thought the last one was not bad, but they seemed to have stalled a bit in my opinion.

I am hoping i can get tix to see ed ved solo here in atlanta. He should be ashamed how much he is charging though.

I thought their first 3 albums were really pretty good but it has been diminishing returns for me since then. I can't listen to them at all now, all the music seems to blur into one big one paced mush. Vedder's solo thing was pretty good but the best songs on that were written by someone else.

Gotta love the image of Ed playing folk songs while his fans sit in their $80+ seats. I realize there are plenty of artists who do the same (and even charge more), but I never saw Eddie Vedder going that route.

I hope we don't get any "Soon Forgets" or "Driftin's" on the new Pearl Jam album. With these ticket prices and the flood of new memorabilia (how many Ten themed t shirts are available now?) I find those songs hard to swallow.

Gotta love the image of Ed playing folk songs while his fans sit in their $80+ seats. I realize there are plenty of artists who do the same (and even charge more), but I never saw Eddie Vedder going that route.

I hope we don't get any "Soon Forgets" or "Driftin's" on the new Pearl Jam album. With these ticket prices and the flood of new memorabilia (how many Ten themed t shirts are available now?) I find those songs hard to swallow.

Drifting is pretty awesome.