Top 3 most underwhelming bands/artists you've ever seen

The real shame is that Gilmour and Co. were able to call it "Pink Floyd". :ohwell

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really have three...

But I saw Aerosmith in 1976 and they were the singluar worst band I have ever seen. Out of tune guitars, out of tune vocals, too loud, too stoned.

The real shame is that Gilmour and Co. were able to call it "Pink Floyd". :ohwell

I totally agree. The most 'Floyd' sounding album since 'Final Cut' is Roger Water's 'Amused To Death'. That is a great album, but would have been classic if Gilmour had played on it. 'Lapse of Reason' and 'Division Bell' were a pale imitation. That said, Pink Floyd at Earl's Court in '94 was still a great 'event'.

Goo Goo Dolls - Saw them by accident.. They opened for The Rolling Stones (I think it was 98 or 99) and they completely blew.. I think it was because they do in fact completely blow..

The Rolling Stones - I'm going to catch hell for this, but the show was disappointing. The drummer dragged the tempo REALLY bad the whole show. I kept thinking "shouldn't he be using an ear metronome or something?"

Weezer - Saw them shortly after the release of Maladroit. It was mostly because it was a big ass amplitheatre, and I'm spoiled after seeing them in smaller venue's, preferably the Tremont Music Hall (general admission capacity around 1,000). Wow, now that was an awesome show.. It was their first tour after Pinkerton...

Squeeze - Merriweather Post Pavilion 1987 - this show was booked when they had an open date while on tour opening for David Bowie. They played a 40 minute set w/ no encore (I guess the same length/setlist as opening for Bowie); The opening band (Winter Hours) played longer.

Husker Du - Warehouse tour 1987 - they played all the stuff from the Warehouse album front to back in a too-large undersold concert hall.

Meat Puppets - sometime in the early 90's - a good show that just went on too long. one encore? sure! two encores? um, okay.. three encores?? don't you guys have a van to catch?

Sugarcubes (~89 ish) - decent band when Bjork was doing the singing, but when the dude took over w/ his angry icelandic rap/shouting/whatever bit (which seemed to be well over half of their songs at the time) it just totally turned me off.

New Order (also ~88-89) - i don't think they looked up from their keyboards all night.

Psychedelic Furs (~91) - at the end of their run, and you could tell they didn't give a shit anymore.

Sugarcubes (~89 ish) - decent band when Bjork was doing the singing, but when the dude took over w/ his angry icelandic rap/shouting/whatever bit (which seemed to be well over half of their songs at the time) it just totally turned me off.

Yeah, that guy's annoying. Did you see the lineup with Bjork and the other gal, or was it the Bjork and a bunch of dudes lineup?

cubes-group.jpg

There's nothing boring about the right side of that photo.

Most boring band i ever saw:

Crash Test Dummies

I started going to a lot of concerts in the late 90s, so I was a victim of a lot of those late 90s bands and package tours. I saw the Wallflowers open for Counting Crows, and they were pretty terrible. The Foo Fighters opened for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and they spent more time goofing off than they did playing. Some friends dragged me to see the Dave Matthews Band, and that was one of the worst concert experiences I've ever had. Before they even went on, somebody threw up right next to me, and the girl standing in front of me dropped her shorts and peed right next to my foot. I can't remember a single note of the performance, so that says something. A few summers ago I saw Modest Mouse, and it felt like somebody was playing "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" really loudly--my friend and I were so bored that we left.

Strangely, some of the worst shows I've ever seen have been by artists I really like. I swore off Ryan Adams for a few years after a show where he was drunk and arguing with the crowd to the point that he got booed off stage. When I saw Bob Dylan last summer, he seemed to be phoning in his performance, because he somehow made "Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" and "Masters of War" sound the same.

Yeah, that guy's annoying. Did you see the lineup with Bjork and the other gal, or was it the Bjork and a bunch of dudes lineup?

Just Bjork and the guys... another female up there might have made it more interesting.

I'm still jealous. Not a big fan of those guys or of Anton, but I would love to see that trainwreck in person.

They are touring right now so you may get the chance.

Aerosmith is a good one. I made the mistake of seeing them without Joe Perry (the Jimmy Crespo years) and it was not good.

They are touring right now so you may get the chance.

Aerosmith is a good one. I made the mistake of seeing them without Joe Perry (the Jimmy Crespo years) and it was not good.

Yeah, I saw a tour with Crespo. Pretty lame.

Wow...what I would have given to be at any of those Dublin REM shows. Those gems were played in what a 3,000 capicity club? REM haven't played a place that small in the USA for decades and those setlist were killer! West of the Fields, 1,000,000 , Khoutech, Second Guessing...even if you didn't like accelerate I don't know how you couldn't like that show. Knowing what In know now I would have done whatever I can to go to those shows at whatever expense!

not true... REM played Stubbs at SXSW last year (capacity 2000) and the Croc in Seattle in 2001 (WITH Eddie Vedder even :D), which holds like 350.

Einar Orn? i saw him a couple of years ago, opening for the Melvins and confounding people in general.

p67574769-3.jpg

i also saw the Sugarcubes back in the day, and was entertained.

not true... REM played Stubbs at SXSW last year (capacity 2000) and the Croc in Seattle in 2001 (WITH Eddie Vedder even :D), which holds like 350.

Yeah maybe so (Forgot about those shows) but they played 5 shows in that tiny venue! Everytime they play a tiny venue in NYC it is usually invite only (Unplugged 2 etc...)

Violent Femmes. They seemed to hate the audience. Terrible run throughs of great songs. The 3rd album had just come out.

Mats - drunken covers and stopped songs. oh wait, maybe this should be in the 'best' thread.

Shannon Wright. A nightmare. I think she lost about 99% of the audience after Julie Dorion's opening.

Meat Puppets - sometime in the early 90's - a good show that just went on too long. one encore? sure! two encores? um, okay.. three encores?? don't you guys have a van to catch?

The show was underwhelming because they stayed on stage too long? Dude.

The show was underwhelming because they stayed on stage too long? Dude.

yup - although perhaps more a case of diminishing returns. ten minutes into the 3rd encore guitar solo even the drummer was glancing towards the fire exit.