• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my money:

Safe Bet: You Never Know

Wouldn't Be Surprised: One Wing, Wilco (the song), Sonny Feeling

Outside Shot: I'll Fight, Country Disappeared

Unlikely: You and I, Deeper Down, Solitaire

Very Surprised (albeit pleasantly :music ): Bull Black Nova, Everlasting Everything

Guest Jules

Anyone know what time the musical guest typically performs on the show?

Somewhere in the 12:25-12:35 range (Eastern Time). If you're recording it, make sure to record an extra 5 minutes or you might miss it.

Everyone seems pretty convinced that they are going to play the single but, why?

Do you think Wilco is really feeling any pressure from their record company to try and boost album sales by promoting their single?

I'm sure it gets mentioned, but I think they have kind of earned the right to play whatever the hell they want!

I just don't see Nonesuch execs or Tony M. sitting down and saying "Look, we gotta promote this baby! Go out and sell it kid! We gotta sell records!"

That being said, I think they're gonna play YNK. :P

Wilco to Perform "You Never Know" on "The Tonight Show" Tonight

Wilco is in Los Angeles this week for a three-night stint of sold-out shows at the Wiltern Theatre. Before tomorrow's final set at the venue, the band is taking tonight to perform on a different stage, on The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. Tune in on NBC starting at 11:35 ET tonight to see the band perform "You Never Know," the first single off their forthcoming Nonesuch release, Wilco (the album). Also scheduled to appear are Animal Planet's Brandon McMillan and actress Kerry Washington.

Glide magazine gives the new album four stars. Glide's Jason Gonulsen writes that "with every new Wilco album, there is fortunately always something new to discover. And once again, the chances that Tweedy and Co. take—like recruiting Feist to sing on 'You and I'—don’t let us down."

Gonulsen notes the contributions each member of the sextet has made to their latest work, recognizing that "this album is undeniably a full band effort" and, what's more, "another solid offering from one of America’s best bands."

http://nonesuch.com/journal/wilco-to-perform-you-never-know-on-the-tonight-show-tonight-2009-06-24

Guest Jules

Everyone seems pretty convinced that they are going to play the single but, why?

Do you think Wilco is really feeling any pressure from their record company to try and boost album sales by promoting their single?

I'm sure it gets mentioned, but I think they have kind of earned the right to play whatever the hell they want!

I just don't see Nonesuch execs or Tony M. sitting down and saying "Look, we gotta promote this baby! Go out and sell it kid! We gotta sell records!"

Who are you crappin?

Ha! Yeah right...wishful thinking, and a little idol worship. If they were not trying to sell the album, they wouldn't be doing late night or a shitload of interviews and Nonesuch would not be buying up ad space. They call it the "album promo tour" for a reason. Remember, this is the band who sold the rights to nearly every song on "Sky Blue Sky" to Volkswagon in order to sell more records. And there is nothing wrong with trying to be successful, as long as your not creating music for the sheer purpose of sales. Its the nature of the business, as they say.

From Tonight Show's Webmaster Twitter feed...

RT @BigBley: Watching Wilco's soundcheck... Those guys are rad! And I'm loving the doubleneck guitar!!

RT @BigBley: Seeing Wilco teach Jimmy Vivino the vocal parts a capella is AMAZING. They're incredibly tight.

Does Nels play the doubleneck guitar on "You Never Know"?

Guest Jules

From Tonight Show's Webmaster Twitter feed...

RT @BigBley: Watching Wilco's soundcheck... Those guys are rad! And I'm loving the doubleneck guitar!!

RT @BigBley: Seeing Wilco teach Jimmy Vivino the vocal parts a capella is AMAZING. They're incredibly tight.

Does Nels play the doubleneck guitar on "You Never Know"?

yes, he does.

I think it's about time they get promoted and break out to a wider audience. They deserve it.

What do they deserve, exactly? Worldwide uberfame, and airtime every evening on tabloids like ET? I think they have a pretty good honest gig. Enough 'success' and still loads of credibility.

Sorry....JM2C. The masses don't get Wilco...so fuck 'em.