WIlco on the Tonight Show

They each deserve spacious wood-paneled home recording studios with kidney shaped indoor swimming pools and jacuzzis right in the studio, and the whole room is mic'ed so they can record in the jacuzzi whenever they feel like it. They also deserve isolation booths that double as saunas.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do they deserve, exactly? Worldwide uberfame, and airtime every evening on tabloids like ET? I think they have a pretty good honest gig. Enough 'success' and still loads of credibility.

Sorry....JM2C. The masses don't get Wilco...so fuck 'em.

I didn't say that.....I said a wider audience. They put in the hard work of gigging almost all year round. Why not wish them more success or a chart topping song or album? Some more recognition while they are still an active band would be great IMO. I don't see Neil Young in the tabloids or on ET and he is pretty successful and better known than Wilco. He's still credible and successful?

Who are you crappin?

Ha! Yeah right...wishful thinking, and a little idol worship. If they were not trying to sell the album, they wouldn't be doing late night or a shitload of interviews and Nonesuch would not be buying up ad space. They call it the "album promo tour" for a reason. Remember, this is the band who sold the rights to nearly every song on "Sky Blue Sky" to Volkswagon in order to sell more records. And there is nothing wrong with trying to be successful, as long as your not creating music for the sheer purpose of sales. Its the nature of the business, as they say.

Let me clarify.

I know they are trying to sell records.

I know they are trying to promote the album.

But at this point in the Wilco career, are they still looking for that "breakout hit" that's going to help them "make it!"?

That's all I was trying to (un-eloquently) say. :cheers

Let me clarify.

I know they are trying to sell records.

I know they are trying to promote the album.

But at this point in the Wilco career, are they still looking for that "breakout hit" that's going to help them "make it!"?

That's all I was trying to (un-eloquently) say. :cheers

i think they release a single because it's just what record companies do. they release a product. i don't think wilco or anyone at nonesuch thinks that You Never Know is going to make it big with all the kids. it's just something they do for any artist(s) that has any kind of name in popular american music.

I didn't say that.....I said a wider audience. They put in the hard work of gigging almost all year round. Why not wish them more success or a chart topping song or album? Some more recognition while they are still an active band would be great IMO. I don't see Neil Young in the tabloids or on ET and he is pretty successful and better known than Wilco. He's still credible and successful?

Well, you said 'success', that's a word that strikes a nerve with me. I didn't mean to be snippy, I'm sure we both see it the same way, more or less. The pop charts are controlled by industry slimebags, whether that's a recent phenomena or always been the case could be argued endlessly. Of course I wish the band all the success they want, but I think Tweedy's already been hugely successful at what he set out to do. Whether a lot of people recognize it or not, doesn't much matter to me. They sell a decent amount of discs and other merchandise, and they sell out good sized venues. I guess it's true Wilco by rights "should" be as big as Radiohead, but to me it's pretty irrelevant.

The guys really looked like they were having fun...so nice to see a band on one of these shows not phoning it in!

Loved the Nudie suits too...is that a new one for Jeff?