What albums are flawless to you?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

Arguably the best live record ever made, and even the lengthy tunes never cause you to lose your attention.

• 2 weeks later...

exactly what are we talking about here with flawless? if it's just liking ever song on an album then i can name hundreds of albums. it would be easier to name albums i really like that have a song or two i don't like on them.

actual albums i think are flawless are Pet Sounds & Ys - with those 2 it's like every note has been thought out and put in the right place, for better or for worse. neither are my favourite albums ever, but they're the only 2 i can think of at the moment that are flawless.

exactly what are we talking about here with flawless? if it's just liking ever song on an album then i can name hundreds of albums. it would be easier to name albums i really like that have a song or two i don't like on them.

actual albums i think are flawless are Pet Sounds & Ys - with those 2 it's like every note has been thought out and put in the right place, for better or for worse. neither are my favourite albums ever, but they're the only 2 i can think of at the moment that are flawless.

I agree. I think the term "flawless" has been used a little too liberally in this thread.

I take "flawless to you" to mean those albums where you not only love every song, but every moment of every song.

"Flawless to you" as in you wouldn't change a thing on it, not necessarily note-for-note musical perfection.

I take "flawless to you" to mean those albums where you not only love every song, but every moment of every song.

"Flawless to you" as in you wouldn't change a thing on it, not necessarily note-for-note musical perfection.

yeah but that definition is just to you, my definition of flawless might be different (but equally valid) altogther :monkey

I understand that. I just think that the many examples offered up in this thread merely degrades the term. It's like the word "genius." That descriptor has been used in so many different ways and for so many different people, that I wonder if anyone really knows what it truly means anymore.

There should be a clear difference between flawless and great. I haven't even been able to come up with an album I would consider flawless, yet. But if I see a list of 10 "flawless" albums, it doesn't mean much to me.

we're not gonna spin off into a pedantic discourse on the meaning of 'prolific,' are we? :lol

Of course, we are. :lol

I agree that a truly flawless LP is a rare creation, but people see merit in different things, so clearly there is no universal standard upon which to judge. that said, I'd hazard these records as complete statements, truly awesome from start to finish (i'm purposely only mentioning rock LPs, as jazz, opera, classical, etc seem to me to have an easier standard, having less songs).

That said, here's a dozen that I could easily spend the rest of my life with.

Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand

Come - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream of Trains

Boris - Boris At Last: Feedbacker

Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling

Neil Young - On The Beach

Spacemen 3 - Sound of Confusion

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge

The Modern Lovers - S/T

The Jam - Setting Sons

Steven R Smith - Kohl

The Clash - London Calling

Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk

Wire - Pink Flag

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

Patti Smith - Horses (excluding the second track, if I may)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

thats all i can think of right now.

The Clash - London Calling

Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk

Wire - Pink Flag

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

Patti Smith - Horses (excluding the second track, if I may)

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

thats all i can think of right now.

Sloop John B usually gets singled out as messing up the flow/storyline of the album. It use to be said that he was made to put the song on the album, but I have also read that he wanted it on there. Good Vibrations was also going to be on the album at one point.

As you may know, Pet Sounds was considered a failure when it was released.

I can think of three -

Dark Side of The Moon (although, I would have left off Money)

The Unforgettable Fire (minus Pride In The Name of Love)

Days of Future Passed (Nights In White Satin sticks out due to the fact we have heard it too many times)

I know most people would take Sloop John B off, but I really don't mind that song. Its true that it doesn't really fit, but I still like it. I heard it was written for a James Bond movie originally. I could be horribly mistaken.

I know most people would take Sloop John B off, but I really don't mind that song. Its true that it doesn't really fit, but I still like it. I heard it was written for a James Bond movie originally. I could be horribly mistaken.

No, it's older than the hills.

The John B. Sails

Up until a couple years ago it was a federal offense for an indie band with more than one person singing at any given time on any album to omit Pet Sounds as an influence. A similar law also applied to music critics for album reviews of new indie releases. True story!

I agree... and Tommy is incredible, but Quadrophenia is at another level. I appreciated it when I was a teenager, for obvious reasons, but, even as I get older, I find more & more to relate to in it. I've seen them perform it a number of times, including this last time in the UK, and it never fails to give me chills and bring tears to my eyes.

I was going to list Quadrophenia but for whatever reason didnt .... yes it is far better than Tommy in my opinion