• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair too, Breaking Bad is indeed awesome.

All hail Hal!

Anyone watching Fargo? It has not quite replaced the awesomeness of Breaking Bad, but I think it's really, really good. Helps if you have seen the movie once or twice, though. Billie Bob Thornton is great in it.

Anyone watching Fargo? It has not quite replaced the awesomeness of Breaking Bad, but I think it's really, really good. Helps if you have seen the movie once or twice, though. Billie Bob Thornton is great in it.

I've been watching it. The first episode was a bit hit and miss for me, but I think it has settled into a nice groove now.

Fargo is much, much better than I expected.  I'm happy that it eschews imitation, offering instead unfaithful variations of characters, situations, and themes from the movie, but at times that's distracting--I keep finding myself thinking about how things have been re-arranged into unexpected permutations.  That'll wear off, I think, once it sinks in as its own thing.

I finished watching the latest episode about ten minutes ago.  Best one yet; the ironies are piling up in a very satisfying way.

The nice thing about Fargo is that it will be a limited number of episodes. When I first heard it was going to be a show I envisioned some sort of Twin Peaks deal. I am glad to see that is not going to happen. I wouldn't want to eat lunch with Billy Bob Thornton, but the dude is really good at what he does.

The other day I was reading about Takako Konishi. I have not seen the documentary This Is A True Story (2003) though.

The nice thing about Fargo is that it will be a limited number of episodes.

I find that appealing, too.  Knowing it was a limited time commitment is one of the reasons I decided to give the show a chance.

I didn't realize they'd done another season of The Trip, that's fantastic. Time to do some catching up.

This may be releaed as a film to the US as this trailer implies. Here the last of 6 half hour episodes is showing now on BBC2. Some very funny stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OtglvtXuI

I'm very much looking forward to this. Our house is very fond of Rob Brydon. We're currently making our way through some DVDs of Would I Lie To You, the game show he hosted.

I'm very much looking forward to this. Our house is very fond of Rob Brydon. We're currently making our way through some DVDs of Would I Lie To You, the game show he hosted.

I presume you've seen 'Marion and Geoff' - his breakthrough mini-monologue series. Good stuff.

Not sure what they do with some of the British-specific mimicry that goes on in The Trip - I can't believe Ronnie Corbett or Frankie Howerd were ever big in the US! Perhaps that gets edited out when they repackage everything as a film. Not sure a film makes much sense though, as its a very gentle elongated journey best devoured in parts I think. Too much all in one go would get too much for me.

I hven't seen Marion and Geoff but have recently heard about it and am very keen to seek it out. Is this where he plays a cab driver?

I can't speak for the US but here in Australia The Two Ronnies was huge back in the day. Occasionally I was allowed to stay up with my Dad and watch it on a Saturday evening but I was shuffled off to bed when Dave Allen came on.

Of course! Benny Hill. For some reason, when still quite young, I was allowed to watch his program despite it being quite saucy for its time.

The same station is where I also use to watch SCTV.

I watched Beware of Mr. Baker by way of Netflix yesterday. I have to say that guy doing the interviews should be hit a few more times. The film seemed like a TMZ segment with animation to me. I've liked Ginger Baker's drumming since I was a kid, but I would not call him the "best drummer ever!" or whatever they called him. He seemed like he needed a boot to the head also.

Just watched the first season of Derek.
The title character is, in all honesty, the most likable character in the history of TV. Maybe in the history of any fiction that I have ever encountered. Absolutely love him. And love the show. Can't wait for season 2 on Netflix.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2616280/?ref_=nv_sr_1

In anticipation of the new Godzilla movie, me and the kids watched Godzilla 2000, which was surprisingly good.

Just watched the first season of Derek.

The title character is, in all honesty, the most likable character in the history of TV. Maybe in the history of any fiction that I have ever encountered. Absolutely love him. And love the show. Can't wait for season 2 on Netflix.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2616280/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Really enjoyed the first season, especially the season finale. Very heartwarming.