• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really enjoyed the first season, especially the season finale. Very heartwarming.

Agreed.

It's nice to drop the jaded thing and just feel good for a little while.

Watched this last night and loved it.

41NfdLsRn-L._SX500_.jpg

I saw Philippe Petit speak last night and it was pretty cool.  His talk (on his new book about creativity) was pretty interesting but the whole time I was watching him I was thinking "that's the crazy guy who walked between the WTC towers ..."

I needed some cheering up last nite so I watched "Hearts and Minds" the Vietnam documentary. I saw it in a film class back in the late 80s (thank you Jeff Chown at NIU, you turned me on to so many great films) and bought it last year at a library sale for a buck (criterion release; thank you library!). Still a very powerful film and still quite appropriate for this day and age too.

Today I happened to start watching the Levon Helm documentary on Netflix. I was looking at a music news site and noticed it is his birthday. And in the first few minutes of the film he mentions the town where I live.

The Sopranos suffered from all of the added extra episodes after HBO backed up the Brinks' truck to David Chase.  Season six, part one had a few clunker episodes.  The whole Vito-being-gay/Johnny Cakes storyline was pretty bad. 

Breaking Bad was just almost perfect.

MV5BNTU5ODk5NDg0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQw

Just watched this (The Way Way Back) again, this time with my daughter, and I really like it.  As someone said, it's a minor pleasure rather than a major work but it's funny and well done and Sam Rockwell is great. 

Watched, over the weekend,  the seedlings to the snapdragons and sunflowers sprout after only a week in the ground. Shit tons of hail and rain helped last week,

Watched, over the weekend,  the seedlings to the snapdragons and sunflowers sprout after only a week in the ground. Shit tons of hail and rain helped last week,

Thats great. My butterfly garden is off to a very slow start and I'm getting concerned.

Just watched the first season of Derek.

The title character is, in all honesty, the most likable character in the history of TV. Maybe in the history of any fiction that I have ever encountered. Absolutely love him. And love the show. Can't wait for season 2 on Netflix.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2616280/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed this show. I almost never binge watch but I did with the first season on Netflix. I was afraid a couple of times that it was veering off into mawkishness, but it actually seemed brave to me to just wear its heart on its sleeve so nakedly. I'm also really looking forward to season 2.

Today I happened to start watching the Levon Helm documentary on Netflix. I was looking at a music news site and noticed it is his birthday. And in the first few minutes of the film he mentions the town where I live.

I hope you watch the rest of it. I particularly enjoyed the scenes showing Levon and Larry Campbell working together.

I hope you watch the rest of it. I particularly enjoyed the scenes showing Levon and Larry Campbell working together.

I did. I didn't think it was all that great in some ways.

Freaks and Geeks.  It started off kinda slow, but it has been getting better as the season has gone along. The writing has picked up.  It's too bad it was canceled after one season.  

My all-time favorite show.

On the one hand, I would have loved to have more seasons. On the other hand, the way the season and series ended was just perfect -- kinda like The Graduate.

Open ended. Where to now?

Love it.

The Sopranos suffered from all of the added extra episodes after HBO backed up the Brinks' truck to David Chase.  Season six, part one had a few clunker episodes.  The whole Vito-being-gay/Johnny Cakes storyline was pretty bad. 

You're right about that. But I thought it was Gandolfini's broken knee or whatever that led to the extra episodes.

Caught the last half of "Out Of Sight" last nite on the boobtube. Much better flick now that I read the book. Jennifer Lopez still cant act her way out of a paper bag but eh, what can you do?

Just watched the first season of Derek.

The title character is, in all honesty, the most likable character in the history of TV. Maybe in the history of any fiction that I have ever encountered. Absolutely love him. And love the show. Can't wait for season 2 on Netflix.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2616280/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I have just begun watching this, and can't thank you enough for turning me on to it. Such a wonderful show! In a single episode I'm going from tears to belly laughs and back again. Addictive.

I saw Philippe Petit speak last night and it was pretty cool.  His talk (on his new book about creativity) was pretty interesting but the whole time I was watching him I was thinking "that's the crazy guy who walked between the WTC towers ..."

I'm currently reading Collum McCann's "Let the Great World Spin" which opens with this even, as seen by the ordinary New Yorkers who looked up that day, not knowing whether they were looking at a would-be suicide up there on the ledge...I had forgotten all about this fabulous act of derring-do! The book mentions him bending over, just before stepping out, and then a dark object falling and twisting in the air, and people gasping to themselves, "Oh, he's done it!" (jumped) before realizing with relief that the falling object was the sweatshirt he'd thrown off. Crazy & brave man!

I'm currently reading Collum McCann's "Let the Great World Spin" which opens with this even, as seen by the ordinary New Yorkers who looked up that day, not knowing whether they were looking at a would-be suicide up there on the ledge...I had forgotten all about this fabulous act of derring-do! The book mentions him bending over, just before stepping out, and then a dark object falling and twisting in the air, and people gasping to themselves, "Oh, he's done it!" (jumped) before realizing with relief that the falling object was the sweatshirt he'd thrown off. Crazy & brave man!

I realize that this is the Now Watching thread but I saw Colum McCann read from his new book last night (but I had him sign my copy of Let the Great World Spin).  When I saw Philippe Petit read a couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of people had him sign copies of McCann's Let the Great World Spin.  I mentioned this to McCann and he thought it was funny - and then he drew a little doodle of Petit in my book.     

Caught the last half of "Out Of Sight" last nite on the boobtube. Much better flick now that I read the book. Jennifer Lopez still cant act her way out of a paper bag but eh, what can you do?

Great, great movie. Easily one of my favorite movies of all-time. Actually, Jennifer Lopez can act and was very good in this role (as well as Selena and Blood and Wine). I've always thought that she could have been a truly great actress if she had only focused on that instead of music, and stuck to meaty and interesting roles like these that she had early in her career.

. Actually, Jennifer Lopez can act and was very good in this role (as well as Selena and Blood and Wine).

Never saw those, perhaps yer right.