Next Wilco Album

We need a Michael Bolton produced Wilco record. There aren't enough Michael Bolton produced records in the world.

For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman". Imagine him incorporating his genius into Wilco's music... Gives me chills just thinking about it.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be shocked if it's anything but self produced. I'm just not as fond of Lanois as many people. His style worked on (most) of the Dylan shit he did, but those records had Dylan writing pretty dreary songs, and I don't see Tweedy doing that this time around. And even then, I like a lot of TOOM songs better live than on record.

I'd be shocked if it's anything but self produced.

Me too, there's no point in them hiring a producer. It'd cost them a lot of money, it'd probably not result in increased sales, and probably wouldn't result in a significantly different album than what they'd come up with on their own.

Me too, there's no point in them hiring a producer. It'd cost them a lot of money, it'd probably not result in increased sales, and probably wouldn't result in a significantly different album than what they'd come up with on their own.

I agree, but on the plus side there is always the chance they will get the guy who is not afraid to tell them when something sucks.

The guy from Califone (what's he called again?) might wrangle something cool out of them.

Brian Deck? I think that could be very cool, they've toured with Califone before and he's a Chicago local so it's not totally out of the question. I'd be all for Jim O'Rourke but I think that's more unlikely.

I'm positive it will be recorded at the Loft, but it wouldn't surprise me if they bring in somebody else to help mix/produce it. The band is totally capable of "shaping a musical moment" to quote Leroy (I miss that guy!), but sometimes having an outside ear is a good thing in the process.

I agree, but on the plus side there is always the chance they will get the guy who is not afraid to tell them when something sucks.

Most bands need that. Especially a band that is established and comfortable and is showing signs that it's on a downward creative slide.

I'd be shocked if it's anything but self produced. I'm just not as fond of Lanois as many people. His style worked on (most) of the Dylan shit he did, but those records had Dylan writing pretty dreary songs, and I don't see Tweedy doing that this time around. And even then, I like a lot of TOOM songs better live than on record.

I agree. I love Time Out Of Mind, but listening to Neil Young's new one (Le Noise) and then going back to the Dylan, it seems like Lanois just has too much of a heavy hand with the vocal effects and the distant, spacey noise feel. Kind of a one-trick pony. Unlike some people, I enjoy the current lineup and I like the sound of the band on the last few records. People's quibbles seem to be more with Jeff's songwriting than the actual sound, not sure how much bringing in a producer will change that. Just my opinion.

it doesnt seem like jeffs songwriting is the problem at all to me.my and i thought most peoples complaints about the last two albums was it didnt seem like they were trying very hard to find what they ,i assume, worked their asses off earlier.now they dont have to try as hard, or the current lineup is to good.i think people want tweedy back on lead guitar.i do.nels is amazing,but maybe too good?the only person im not a fan of is pat,he is super talented, but i think hes there for the youngsters so theyll stop jumping on stage whilst drunk.either way,tweedys lyrics are always superb,country disappeared is one of my favorite songs on an album i only really listened to when it first came out.they dont need to try to get a fanbase anymore by experimenting and putting 100 percent into everything, so why bother.he got to where he wants to be and probably will go further with albums like wta because it fits into the bland landscape of the thread "wilco youve heard out and about."its all costcos and best buys and places like that.wilco is turning into elevator rock n roll.but they will always be my favorite band.

Apparently a new song was played by Jeff this past Sunday? Any further details from somebody who went? I know there was a serious debate going on regarding the merits of attending this particular show. The old politic! Seems like this is some real news regarding new material and I for one am trying to jump any information I can get. ;)

it doesnt seem like jeffs songwriting is the problem at all to me.my and i thought most peoples complaints about the last two albums was it didnt seem like they were trying very hard to find what they ,i assume, worked their asses off earlier.now they dont have to try as hard, or the current lineup is to good.i think people want tweedy back on lead guitar.i do.nels is amazing,but maybe too good?the only person im not a fan of is pat,he is super talented, but i think hes there for the youngsters so theyll stop jumping on stage whilst drunk.either way,tweedys lyrics are always superb,country disappeared is one of my favorite songs on an album i only really listened to when it first came out.they dont need to try to get a fanbase anymore by experimenting and putting 100 percent into everything, so why bother.he got to where he wants to be and probably will go further with albums like wta because it fits into the bland landscape of the thread "wilco youve heard out and about."its all costcos and best buys and places like that.wilco is turning into elevator rock n roll.but they will always be my favorite band.

I think it's an awfully big assumption to make that Wilco isn't "putting 100 percent into everything". I don't get the impression that anybody in that band is settling for anything less than putting everything they've got into their musical endeavors. Whether or not the end result fits any one person's particular taste, or what Wilco should sound like based on some notion that the earlier albums are the "valid" Wilco sound, is a very subjective thing.

I became a hardcore fan shortly after Sky Blue Sky was released (after finally seeing a live show), and this incarnation of the band is all I know, which gives me a much different point of view than somebody who has been listening from the beginning. I've listened to tons of shows from every period, and have found things to love with every iteration of this band. That being said, I really love what both Nels and Pat bring to Wilco, especially in a live setting. I disagree with the idea that Nels to "too good". I think he's a perfect fit, and represents an evolution in the sound of the band (that I happen to like). To me, Wilco just sounds like a band that has members that have personally and musically matured, and I'm okay with what's been described as the "dad rock" sound (even though I don't find that term very useful). For some people, Wilco's new music sounds less vital, and I'm okay with that opinion too. I used to be a huge Pearl Jam fan in high school, was with them from the earliest days, bought every import I could find, convinced myself that any obscure crappy B-Side (Bee Girl, WTF?) was gold...and then, suddenly after the 4th album, they just lost it for me. My relationship with the band changed, they got older, I got older, etc. It happens. I look forward to Wilco's next album, whatever it may sound like.

Guest Speed Racer

Apparently a new song was played by Jeff this past Sunday? Any further details from somebody who went? I know there was a serious debate going on regarding the merits of attending this particular show. The old politic! Seems like this is some real news regarding new material and I for one am trying to jump any information I can get. ;)

There are some snippets of the lyrics in the After the Show thread about the Rahm benefit. From what I can remember, based on those lyrics I think Wilco's next effort will be an emo album. :hmm

I agree with the other poster - I really do think Wilco is putting 100% into this. I also think that the Backstreet Boys are putting 100% into their reunion tour, but that doesn't make me any more interested in them.

Oh I'll be going to see wilco and buying the albums as long as they come out. I also don't think I said they aren't making albums with the "valid" wilco sound, because that changed from album to album.even though sbs is not many members fav, I like it, and it's definately a different direction than agib.

The 100% part, it doesn't sound like they did at all with wta. No demos from wta or sbs is dissappointing and makes me wonder how much time their spending on each song. But yes I have no clue since I'm not there.

And nels is a fucking guitar god, but I don't think that's always a good thing. Granted,yes, live it makes for quite the show, but it does make studio easier,positively and negatively.wilco isn't a typical rock band that needs perfect guitar licks, or hasn't in the past.

And I'm not some wilco snob,I got into em in 00.

My basic theory is that the bands earlier work is what made them famous(?).if wilco was a new band and had only released wta,they wouldn't have near the fanbase they have now, but who knows.I'm not trying to argue with you,just disagree.especially on liking wta.besides country dissapeared it's a pretty typical album,and that's new in the wilco catalog. But ,as with you, I am dying to hear the new album.

Guest Speed Racer

I'll say this again: one of my least favorite things about Nels is that while he can mimick any sound - country-western, rock, whatever W(TA) was - it sounds like he's mimicking. Jay played country-western licks; Nels plays licks that sound like country-western licks. Jay and Jeff play(ed) from the gut; Nels does on his own, but in Wilco it sounds like he's playing-by-numbers for each style that is not his own.

I'll say this again: one of my least favorite things about Nels is that while he can mimick any sound - country-western, rock, whatever W(TA) was - it sounds like he's mimicking. Jay played country-western licks; Nels plays licks that sound like country-western licks. Jay and Jeff play(ed) from the gut; Nels does on his own, but in Wilco it sounds like he's playing-by-numbers for each style that is not his own.

I agree. Nels's best contribution to Wilco is his playing on songs that are not as genre-specific. Ashes, for instance.

Because of this, I'd like to hear a more collaborative Wilco. I'm sure it's collaborative to some degree, but in the end, it's obvious that it's VERY much Tweedy's band.

I think it's an awfully big assumption to make that Wilco isn't "putting 100 percent into everything". I don't get the impression that anybody in that band is settling for anything less than putting everything they've got into their musical endeavors. Whether or not the end result fits any one person's particular taste, or what Wilco should sound like based on some notion that the earlier albums are the "valid" Wilco sound, is a very subjective thing.

I became a hardcore fan shortly after Sky Blue Sky was released (after finally seeing a live show), and this incarnation of the band is all I know, which gives me a much different point of view than somebody who has been listening from the beginning. I've listened to tons of shows from every period, and have found things to love with every iteration of this band. That being said, I really love what both Nels and Pat bring to Wilco, especially in a live setting. I disagree with the idea that Nels to "too good". I think he's a perfect fit, and represents an evolution in the sound of the band (that I happen to like). To me, Wilco just sounds like a band that has members that have personally and musically matured, and I'm okay with what's been described as the "dad rock" sound (even though I don't find that term very useful). For some people, Wilco's new music sounds less vital, and I'm okay with that opinion too. I used to be a huge Pearl Jam fan in high school, was with them from the earliest days, bought every import I could find, convinced myself that any obscure crappy B-Side (Bee Girl, WTF?) was gold...and then, suddenly after the 4th album, they just lost it for me. My relationship with the band changed, they got older, I got older, etc. It happens. I look forward to Wilco's next album, whatever it may sound like.

Very well said, sir! I agree on nearly every point. To me, Wilco's strength is as a live band. To my ears, none of their studio recordings from any phase in their career explode with energy like many live performances do. So I don't care too much about the sound of the new record, I just want them to keep playing amazingly great live and I'll be more than happy.

regarding the role of producer: they say that the first time an actor watches one of his films, he doesn't watch the film but rather his own performance. Something similar is true recording with a band-though you in theory want what's best for the band, it's difficult to impossible to listen to it holisticly. That is where the producer comes in: someone whose ears the band can trust yet can listen with a bit of distance.

regarding nels:good points by Laminated Nap and jff both, though LamNap you might be a bit harsh. One of the best parts of "you and I" for e.g. was Nels' part. If memory serves, i couldn't even hear it on the record until after the Letterman performance, where it was up in the mix. it was in the style, understated and didn't have any of the wiggle, which is usually giveaway.

Guest Speed Racer

One of the best parts of "you and I" for e.g. was Nels' part.

I actually like the song alright until I can hear Nels' part. :lol I really don't like his soft-rock vibe when he whips it out, and unfortunately he whips it all over W(TA). Diff'rent strokes, I guess.